Honda Shadow Forums banner
5681 - 5700 of 5769 Posts

· Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
209 Posts
Settles Bridge over the Chattahoochee River, near Suwanee Georgia (also near Buford) is locally famous, and its picture is on a zillion websites. And any photo of it taken in the last 20 years will pretty much be identical to how it looks today.
I don't know if there any photos of it prior to it being abandoned in the 1950s.

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Branch

Plant Sky Water Tree Grass

Water Plant Natural environment Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

This bridge was the scene of a stunt in the movie (Six Pack) with Kenny Rogers, from 1982, where a car chase ends when one driver heads toward this old bridge, finds it's out and blocked-off, and goes over the embankment right next to the bridge, into the river.

· Registered
209 Posts
From Beggar, back on Oct. 18th:
"a bridge local to you
that has a history,
as well as a pic of the bridge historically."

My area has had all of its historically significant bridges either torn down & replaced or just abandoned, but there are two rusting skeletons of old truss bridges from around 1900 close to me one-

One over the Chattahoochee River below Lake Lanier
and
one above the lake, spanning the Chestatee River South east of Dahlonega Georgia just before it reaches that lake.

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,191 Posts
From Beggar, back on Oct. 18th:
"a bridge local to you
that has a history,
as well as a pic of the bridge historically."

My area has had all of its historically significant bridges either torn down & replaced or just abandoned, but there are two rusting skeletons of old truss bridges from around 1900 close to me one-

One over the Chattahoochee River below Lake Lanier
and
one above the lake, spanning the Chestatee River South east of Dahlonega Georgia just before it reaches that lake.
Thanks for the clarification. (I'm getting old)

· Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
219 Posts
I honestly thought this'd be an easy one, picked up within hours. There're thousands of old bridges across the country, most with local histories. Didn't need to be still in use, nor notable outside its community, just present pic & bike, old pic, and some lore.

Any one of your Chattahoochee pics & the lore you gave, along with one with your bike would've nailed it.

Quite surprised it's still standing (the challenge, not the bridges). Didn't figure it to last anywhere near this long. :unsure:

· Premium Member
2002 GL1800A
1,067 Posts
I just don't have any historically significant old bridges around.
Old bridges, sure, but none that are anything but a way over water, and many have no real way to get a pic.

Edit: OK, found one a few hours away, just not sure when I can get there.
Wish I had paid attention, I went for a nice ride today for a few hours, but did not think to look online before I left. Could have done it today.

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,191 Posts
So I noticed this small bridge and decided to do a bit of research. This bridge was the "sales sample for the Phoenix bridge company. They apparently were big back in their day. This bridge was refurbished and now serves as a footbridge but is still in the original location.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Road surface Branch Plant Asphalt Tree

Plant Road surface Asphalt Thoroughfare Building

Plant Natural landscape Tree Sky Road surface

Here is a link to more information on this bridge and builder.
They are credited with creating a stronger connector or Pin. The Phoenix pin.
Does this bridge qualify?

· Registered
209 Posts
What's a "challenge pic"?
I don't recall any rule about that.

I intend to call out a challenge, when it's my turn to announce one, whether or not I have brought my bike to such a location for a photo op.

Current challenge: Your bike with unusual Christmas decorations.

· Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
219 Posts
I went back to the first post, and you're right, there's no requirement for the challenger to post a pic of his challenge. Not sure where I got that idea, just an assumption I guess (and we all know that definition :sneaky:). Not the first time I've been full of it, nor likely the last. :rolleyes:

Presently looking for a "Skellington in Santa hat" dummy to prop up on my bike. Wish me luck. :ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
2002 GL1800A
1,067 Posts
I went back to the first post, and you're right, there's no requirement for the challenger to post a pic of his challenge. Not sure where I got that idea, just an assumption I guess (and we all know that definition :sneaky:). Not the first time I've been full of it, nor likely the last. :rolleyes:

Presently looking for a "Skellington in Santa hat" dummy to prop up on my bike. Wish me luck. :ROFLMAO:
It was never a requirement, but many did it just to give an example of what they were talking about.

5681 - 5700 of 5769 Posts