Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm tired of hunting down the elusive 6th gear and I've done some reading on swapping out the rear sprocket. So while my bike is down I'd like to upgrade to another rear sprocket. What I'd like to know is the general consensus regarding teeth number. My ACE is 41 from the factory, correct? I don't ride 2 up and live in south Florida (no hills). So, 37, 38, 39 ..... Also, would I have to do the front? I looked at Scootworks kit for $99 (pic 2) - Any thought? Other recommendations and where to buy? Thanks! :-D

·
Registered
358 Posts
I did mine a few months ago and it was the best thing I've done by a longshot. I love it so much that it's affecting my choices on being able to mod my next "newer" bike. Even tho my next will be a bigger motor and will probably be geared differently than my 750, I still would like to have the option to change it down the road.

The 38T is the most common. I'd honestly go to a 37 if I could, but they're super difficult to find. The only reason to go with a new front sprocket is because the chain and sprockets wear together. I've got a stock 17T front one that I didn't install in mine because the chain setup wasn't really worn too much. Maybe in 20K miles if I still have the bike I'll do it.

But yeah, it's one of those mods that people do and then wonder why the **** they didn't do it sooner. I had a friend with a 750 like mine say that I'd probably hate the torque loss and riding around in town. He's been riding for 20 years and just assumed that doing the swap would only really benefit my cruising rpms. He rode mine and said he was ordering a new sprocket that night. It's awesome. 5th is like an overdrive gear now. I don't even have to use it in the city.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did mine a few months ago and it was the best thing I've done by a longshot. I love it so much that it's affecting my choices on being able to mod my next "newer" bike. Even tho my next will be a bigger motor and will probably be geared differently than my 750, I still would like to have the option to change it down the road.

The 38T is the most common. I'd honestly go to a 37 if I could, but they're super difficult to find. The only reason to go with a new front sprocket is because the chain and sprockets wear together. I've got a stock 17T front one that I didn't install in mine because the chain setup wasn't really worn too much. Maybe in 20K miles if I still have the bike I'll do it.

But yeah, it's one of those mods that people do and then wonder why the **** they didn't do it sooner. I had a friend with a 750 like mine say that I'd probably hate the torque loss and riding around in town. He's been riding for 20 years and just assumed that doing the swap would only really benefit my cruising rpms. He rode mine and said he was ordering a new sprocket that night. It's awesome. 5th is like an overdrive gear now. I don't even have to use it in the city.
Nice! What brand and where did you get yours? My bike only has 4K miles, so I guess just the rear and no chain swap is good for me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think I ordered it from Billski. I got a new 120 Link chain from a guy on Shadowriders.net. He included a new 17T front sprocket with it. Just remember you'll need to take out some links from your chain to fit the new sprocket. So remember to order a master link if your current one doesn't have one.

Found the receipt in my email.

Date : 25 Apr 2011 - 13:39
Order ID : 3718904
Payment by Card
Product : Quantity : Price
815S-38: Rear Steel Sprocket - 38 Tooth : 1 : 34.95
Subtotal : 34.95
Shipping : 6.75
TOTAL : 41.70
So I wouldn't go spending $99 on both if you don't need them. If you had more miles on it I'd do them both tho.
It's an awesome mod, and isn't relatively expensive. Might take you 30 minutes to an hour to do.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I ordered it from Billski. I got a new 120 Link chain from a guy on Shadowriders.net. He included a new 17T front sprocket with it. Just remember you'll need to take out some links from your chain to fit the new sprocket. So remember to order a master link if your current one doesn't have one.

Found the receipt in my email.

So I wouldn't go spending $99 on both if you don't need them. If you had more miles on it I'd do them both tho.
It's an awesome mod, and isn't relatively expensive. Might take you 30 minutes to an hour to do.
You don't think with only 4K miles that I might have enough slack adjustment available for the 38T?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Someone else will have to chime in on that. I don't know what the stock amount of links is, but I'm guessing that it's a little more than what your slack adjuster on your swingarm can adjust to. But I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just had a 122 put on my bike. You could always just whack a few links off the current chain and install a new rivited master link. Test fitting will guide the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
38T sprocket,.....

Just put on a new 38T rear sprocket, new front sprocket and a 120 link xring chain, $188 shipped from billski182.com. Bike has about 22k miles on it so just changed everything. Highly recommend the rear sprocket change. 90% of my riding is hgwy and I wouldn't be afraid to go to a 37t if you do a lot of hgwy riding and can find the sprocket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts