Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah the gremlins are back. Was out riding today and realized that my left rear turn signal was out. My original thought was no big deal, just pulled into my local autozone and picked up a new bulb and put it in. No luck, still not working. So I rode on home and pulled out my test light.. no power to the socket. Checked fuses, all good. So I had to pull out the wiring diagram and start tracing wires. Have traced all the way to the switch....OK, now what...Only looked at it for an hour and had to stop. Gonna go back out in the morning to see whats up... could be that I just need to replace the mount as the socket is rusted up pretty bad and starting to fall apart, power is good to that point.

Might look at putting LED lights on the back if it is possible, not sure as to what I will have to change or add to make LED's possible on the old 83 vt500c

·
Registered
121 Posts
For the LEDs you will either need an electronic flasher, the appropriate amount of added resistance to the circuit to make the original flasher work, or something called a load balancer I think. If I am correct that is just a fancy (read expensive) name for a resistor. Your stock flasher requires a certain load for it to operate. That is why your blinkers act strange when you lose a light bulb. Good Luck. I had one of the soldered connections at the blinker switch separate from it's pad. A few minutes and a dab of solder and I was back in business.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Ah the gremlins are back. Was out riding today and realized that my left rear turn signal was out. My original thought was no big deal, just pulled into my local autozone and picked up a new bulb and put it in. No luck, still not working. So I rode on home and pulled out my test light.. no power to the socket. Checked fuses, all good. So I had to pull out the wiring diagram and start tracing wires. Have traced all the way to the switch....OK, now what...Only looked at it for an hour and had to stop. Gonna go back out in the morning to see whats up... could be that I just need to replace the mount as the socket is rusted up pretty bad and starting to fall apart, power is good to that point.

Might look at putting LED lights on the back if it is possible, not sure as to what I will have to change or add to make LED's possible on the old 83 vt500c
Well, that only leaves the switch itself or you have missed a broken wire somewhere. I assume you haven't taken the switch apart yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.