Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rate this OPT-7 Fluxbeam LED headlight bulb as a 10 because 5 is just not high enough. I bought this bulb because it had the highest lumen (3500) rating I could find with 6000K (white) color. It’s a bonus that it only draws 40W of power. The OEM bulb draws 55W. Shipping was very fast thanks to Amazon Prime. Installation only took about 20 minutes and half of that was to adjust the bend in the locking wire a little to clear the fan on the rear of the bulb. Be sure to read the instructions. It all fit inside the headlight housing of my 2015 Honda Shadow Phantom which has one of the smallest headlight buckets there is. This bulb is BLINDINGLY BRIGHT!!! I made the mistake of looking directly into the headlight. It took several MINUTES before I stopped seeing stars. Can't wait to try this out at night. If you want a BRIGHT white headlight, THIS IS THE BULB TO GET. Part number for 2015 Phantom is: MT-HW-HL-6.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
LED's rokk!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me ask you something. I have a 96 ACE 1100 and would love to go into an LED headlight. A few questions though. Will it fir a 96 without a lot of modifications. Also I run a 600 watt amp for my sound system and a set of light bars on the front. Unless I am applying the throttle it wont charge the battery to the full 12 volts. The question I have is this. Do you think if I run an LED headlight will it charge the battery without me having to always reving up to produce more voltage. What exactly causes the drop on the battery. Is it amps, watts or voltage. Thks much

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
This bulb is BLINDINGLY BRIGHT!!! I made the mistake of looking directly into the headlight. It took several MINUTES before I stopped seeing stars.
Are you sure that you want to be sending light that is "BLINDINGLY BRIGHT" into the eyes of drivers coming at you, that you hope can see well enough not to run over you?

Seems like this is an extremely bad idea.....and not that I really care about laws all that much, but very few of the aftermarket hi-output bulbs sold today are street legal.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Are you sure that you want to be sending light that is "BLINDINGLY BRIGHT" into the eyes of drivers coming at you, that you hope can see well enough not to run over you?

Seems like this is an extremely bad idea.....and not that I really care about laws all that much, but very few of the aftermarket hi-output bulbs sold today are street legal.
Yeah, lighting your way with candles would be much safer.

Just because it is brighter, doesnt mean it is blinding oncoming traffic and they are going to be like a bug and drive right into your light. It has to do with the aim of the headlight.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Isn't $100.00 a bit much for a light bulb? I'm all for seeing and being seen but there are less expensive options out there. I suppose if price is not a problem then it may be fine.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Isn't $100.00 a bit much for a light bulb? I'm all for seeing and being seen but there are less expensive options out there. I suppose if price is not a problem then it may be fine.
http://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Motorcycle-Headlight-Arc-Beam-99-Clear/dp/B00WVJR0D8

This one is $59.99. It doesnt say FluxBeam though. It says ArcBeam. Not sure if it's the same. You can get the headlight bulb and two LED H3 bulbs (for a lightbar) for around $95. Thinking about asking Santa for the same setup.

Edit:
Just saw where it says FluxBeam. It's the same light.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,589 Posts
Let me ask you something. I have a 96 ACE 1100 and would love to go into an LED headlight. A few questions though. Will it fir a 96 without a lot of modifications. Also I run a 600 watt amp for my sound system and a set of light bars on the front. Unless I am applying the throttle it wont charge the battery to the full 12 volts. The question I have is this. Do you think if I run an LED headlight will it charge the battery without me having to always reving up to produce more voltage. What exactly causes the drop on the battery. Is it amps, watts or voltage. Thks much
If you want to know what is the power consumption is, it is most common to think of amps used . That is what is being drawn out of the battery and needs to be pumped back in at the same rate or greater to keep up with demand. The battery voltage stays in a range of 12.5 to 14.5 but the amps will vary by how many things are turned on . If the charging system can only put out a max. of 30 amps you have to add up all the draw from the various consumers so it is not overloaded.

Wattage is volts x amps. - example = 12 volts X 5 amps= 60 watts for your standard headlight(high beam).
If you put a 40 watt LED then you only are using about 3.3 amps. Less current draw but a brighter output.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,231 Posts
Also I run a 600 watt amp for my sound system and a set of light bars on the front. Unless I am applying the throttle it wont charge the battery to the full 12 volts.
Huh.

Wattage is volts x amps. - example = 12 volts X 5 amps= 60 watts for your standard headlight(high beam).
So you're saying he's using 50 amps to make noise? Plus more for the "set of light bars." What's the output of our charging systems, 30 amps? I think I'd be packing a spare battery every time I rode outside of walking distance from home because that's got to be draining the battery even at full throttle.

·
Registered
17,246 Posts
Headlights are the topics today, huh?
I see several bulb replacement threads as I return from a weekend away...

I love the internet,
D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're right, $60 is pricey for a headlight bulb; but what's the old saying? "You get what you pay for" You can always keep the OEM bulb.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

gat803, you're a funny guy. This bulb is "BLINDINGLY BRIGHT" when viewed from 5 feet away in a poorly lit garage. It would not be "blinding" to oncoming traffic but is certainly bright enough to get their attention. My experience when meeting other vehicles with very bright lights is to slow down and try to move away from the light, not toward it. Do you have some "bug" DNA in you?

I rarely ride at night but when I do I like to be able to see what's ahead of me and I really doubt this bulb will "blind" anyone in the daytime; but it should be much more noticeable than an OEM bulb.

I seriously doubt this bulb has a higher lumen output than the OEM HID bulbs in a lot of new cars/trucks so it's "legality" would seem to be a non-issue.

·
Read Only
2,715 Posts
The Lumen rating seems to be the actual 'brightness' that counts. I've seen some pretty LOW ratings for some that are supposed to be 'bright', but their lumen rating is as low as 450, while others are between 1500-3500. I found one bulb, though, that's 1800-2000 lumen, but only cost about $15-20. That would seem like a decent 'compromise' for those of us who can't afford this expensive one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, lighting your way with candles would be much safer.

Just because it is brighter, doesnt mean it is blinding oncoming traffic and they are going to be like a bug and drive right into your light. It has to do with the aim of the headlight.
Lol. If you get the right kind of bulb, it aims down on low beam. And is preferably at least 4 sided or you have to deal with your light being on either the left or the right with the 2 sided "blade" style.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Way too much. I just found a pair even though my bike only takes one brand new on Ebay for about $10.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,127 Posts
You're talking to a 6 yr. old thread. Good news, 7 of the contributors still hang around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts