Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I ride my bike, my left leg gets cover in IDK, gravel, asphalt, grease, I have no idea but it stains my pants all the time. Is only my front left leg from ankle to knee. My right side is fine. Where is it coming from? The ground or some part of the bike? This is the first time it happens to me. Has it happened to you?

Update: I checked the chain and Is clean. I notice that the left side fork has a film of IDK grease? black dust? etc, on the back. The right front fork is fine. Any ideas?

Please help me solve this mystery. My bike is a Honda Shadow 'Spirit '05 750

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit - NHB01 Black
489 Posts
Going to also guess fork seal, run your finger down the back of the lower fork slider on that side and see if it’s greasy/oily.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,109 Posts
I have had leaking fork seals but I never had it blow all the way back on me buy anything is possible. Are there ever any puddles at all under your bike? Are you missing any covers around the chain area? Is your engine oil going low at all?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,461 Posts
Easy test= wrap a paper towel lenghtwise along the fork from below the seal to above it and hold it on with masking tape. Ride it and see if the towel gets oily, or you still have oil blowing back on you.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,898 Posts
Be aware if it is a fork seal the way you park your bike may let fork oil run onto your brake disc. That is not a good thing. On my spirit I had to turn my forks to the right to keep oil from getting the disc wet until I could service the forks and oil will blow back on you. On mine it made a mess on the pipes as well. A seal mate will stop the leak if it's a piece of dirt stuck in the seal. If you replace the seals do both at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts