Honda Shadow Forums banner

The "other" 2 spark plugs

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  cactus 
#1 ·
While the wife and son are at church , I figure I would work on the bike and change the plugs. Yes, I know this is only a 10 min. project but afterwards I'll take her on a nice sunday ride in the country.

I replaced the 2 spark plugs that are the obvious ones, the left hand side rear and the right hand side front. But how the heck do you change the other 2 plugs???? The 2 plugs which I'm having trouble with are the left side front plug and the right side rear plug. I can get the wire caps off but cant get the spark plug socket go over them. It seems the socket is either too small or too big. Are they the same size as the other plugs????
Any tips in getting the "other" 2 plugs changed would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
plugs

There seems to be a tear drop rubber flap that is attached to the plug cover ....same as the back right side plug. I pulled the flap up and then pulled up on the plug cap. came right off. If you put your finger where the plug wire leads to you can feel this oval piece of rubber. On the right side rear i think you can even see this piece of rubber.

#5 ·
A regular plug socket won't fit, the hole is too small in diameter.

Do you have an 18mm 12point deep well socket? They will usually fit.

Of course, you'll need about a 6" or 8" extension also.

When you put the plugs back in, not only put some anti-seize on the threads,
but put a little dielectric grease on the insulator (white ceramic part).
This will keep the plug boots from sticking to the plug the next time you
go to pull the wire off.

You can get dielectric grease at any parts store... It comes
in those small one use packets they usually have at the counter and
it comes in a tube and is usually where the silicone and gasket makers are...

#7 ·
You don't have the stock tool kit that came with the bike? It has a cheap looking, yet very functional, plug socket in there.

#8 ·
litnin said:
.......When you put the plugs back in, not only put some anti-seize on the threads,
but put a little dielectric grease on the insulator (white ceramic part).
This will keep the plug boots from sticking to the plug the next time you
go to pull the wire off......
Excellent advice about the dielectric grease...never thought of that :oops: and I've had a plug wire or two corrode enough to make a project out of pulling the wire off. I know one thing I'm buying today.

#9 ·
plugs

Got the "other"2 plugs out.. and to my surprise... not too bad looking.
I took the plug tool that came with the tool kit inserted it into the plug opening , then put a 17mm socket on top of the plug tool and that got them out that way.....was'nt too bad of a job. Had plenty of time to ride.

What a difference new plugs have. Small difference , but noticable\

bikervas:
ever get the plug wires off the plugs??

#10 ·
Re: plugs

cactus said:
bikervas: ever get the plug wires off the plugs??
Hi cactus, I think I'll wait until mid March when it warms up around here. I am wondering if I should start the bike and let it warm up to expand the metal around the plugs or would it be better to do it with the engine relatively cool?

Glad you got you plugs out alright - is it riding weather in your area?

Take Care

#11 ·
plugs

Warm it up or leave it cool ? i couldnt tell ya. I do think that the plug maybe corroded on there. I'm wondering if you pull too hard if the top of the plug wire will break off? then youll have to replpace that too.

Someone one this fourm should know what to do and chime in if that has happened to them.

last thursday it was 73 and this weekedns it in low 60's.......not too bad for riding....just need to cover the neck.

#13 ·
86 VT500c spark plug removal...

Hi there. I am changing my plugs... and i did the 2 easy ones... and even managed to do the front difficult one... but that right rear plug has me stumped. The frame is RIGHT there, and the socket and extention I used on the front difficult one I don't think will fit there. I tried calling Honda... and they were no help. I have read my clymer service manual... no help. also read the owners manual, no help
thanks...

#14 ·
The rear plug on my '85 Shadow VT500C was a pain but set it up at a buddy's garage and then went "into" it. Had to take the seat off and then the gas tank!
I found out real quickly that I needed a 17mm thin walled socket and about a 6 inch extension.
After that it was all good. Just make sure the socket has a rubber sleeve on it so that when you pull the plug out it doesn't fall back into the well.
I found out the hard way when the front plug slipped off the socket and fell inside the cylinder well. Took over two hours with a magnet to get the little beggar out of the well.
Once you have them out replace them with NKG's as they are THE only plug that will perform well. Champions are so bad!............
After I replaced the plugs the bike ran like brand new........you'll be surprised at the performance increase
Krusty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.