Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a very nice 06 Spirit a few weeks ago, my first street bike in probably 35 years. I decided on used until I get the feel of things again then maybe trading for something new. I'll not need anything larger, with what little time I've had it out I can see it's all the power and size I'll ever need... Don't plan on riding interstates just country roads plus I like a bike that's loud with a sportster look...
Not much left in my bucket list just one thing left way down in the bottom. I'd like after a couple years of practice riding travel the full length and back of the Sky Line Drive/ Blue Ridge Parkway. That's around 400+ miles one way at the top speed of 45 mph.
My question ? Is the Shadow Spirit a good choice to make this trip, there's a lot of turns and switchbacks or do I maybe want something else to ride by that time ?
I've traveled this route many times when growing up and even as I kid thought this would be so cool on a bike.
Thanks !

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
At 45 mph, it's not really going to matter whether it is a 750 or 1100. The 750 will do great if you don't plan on a bunch of interstate travel. They can get a little buzzy at 70-80 mph on long hauls. I think the Spirit is a great choice for this trip. At 400 miles one way, you might check out an aftermarket seat if it doesn't already have one. Mustang is a pretty popular one that should save your back. And if you have money to spare, Progressive shocks on the rear will help also.

By the way Aufgeblassen, I hate all the big smilies. That one is quite disturbing if you open the gif. Maybe my mind is just in the gutter, Idk.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Picked up a very nice 06 Spirit a few weeks ago, my first street bike in probably 35 years. I decided on used until I get the feel of things again then maybe trading for something new. I'll not need anything larger, with what little time I've had it out I can see it's all the power and size I'll ever need... Don't plan on riding interstates just country roads plus I like a bike that's loud with a sportster look...
Not much left in my bucket list just one thing left way down in the bottom. I'd like after a couple years of practice riding travel the full length and back of the Sky Line Drive/ Blue Ridge Parkway. That's around 400+ miles one way at the top speed of 45 mph.
My question ? Is the Shadow Spirit a good choice to make this trip, there's a lot of turns and switchbacks or do I maybe want something else to ride by that time ?
I've traveled this route many times when growing up and even as I kid thought this would be so cool on a bike.
Thanks !
The 750cc is a good choice for the curvy roads and switchbacks you say you'll encounter. Get to know your new bike's fuel mpg with the trip odometer and use the trip odometer as you fuel gauge. With a 3.6 gal fuel tank capacity watch your trip meter and plan your fuel stops accordingly. Congrats on your new purchase.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Having had a 600 VLX for 3 years, I literally did all kinds of riding with that thing. I rode over the interstate through different states and I rode all around town. For an around town bike she was fantastic. For the interstate travel? Not so much, but she could do it fine enough with "decent" MPG.

That being said I feel like the 1100 Sabre does both of those with better everything, including looks.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
At 45 mph, it's not really going to matter whether it is a 750 or 1100. The 750 will do great if you don't plan on a bunch of interstate travel. They can get a little buzzy at 70-80 mph on long hauls. I think the Spirit is a great choice for this trip. At 400 miles one way, you might check out an aftermarket seat if it doesn't already have one. Mustang is a pretty popular one that should save your back. And if you have money to spare, Progressive shocks on the rear will help also.
Depends how tall you are too..

I have never had an issue with interstate travel on my 750. They do rev higher at those higher speeds, but not sport-bike high :), and they will get up to 95 pretty easily which is good enough for most sane uses - (quickly passing 18 wheelers for example) - But when called upon to do so, they'll cruise all day at 80..

The one downside to a 750 over 400 miles - for me anyway.. Is Physical Size..

Even at 5'6" I find a 750 seems to shrink in size to near constricting levels at around 250 - 300 miles.. To me, it feels like a smaller bike the longer I am in the saddle..

Short trips and around town though.. I think the 750's make for the better displacement of bike, gas mileage, 0-60 acceleration, maneuverability, comfort.. It's all a shorter-guy such as myself needs anyway..

On 2 lane highways at highway speeds, gotta watch overtaking on a 750..

Make sure nobody is behind you as you overtake the slowpoke in front of you, because, if the guy you are overtaking wants to play games with you and not let you pass - and somebody is following behind you around said slowpoke, you won't have power enough to accelerate past some psycho playing games and out of trouble, before getting plungered into oncoming traffic..

^^ That, I know, and ^^ That is the only reason I'm trading up to a larger bike..

Love my Little Aero.. If the world was full of responsible drivers, it would be near enough to perfect - to be the perfect bike for me.

The Spirit is a nice bike too.. :wink: ..750, 1100, they're all good.. Just be aware of any new bike's limitations before wading into deeper on-road situations.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, my bike is a 750 and what little time I've had it out I love it. This 800 mile round trip would be done over about a weeks time in no rush, many curves and sites to see along the way.
After so many years off of a bike you should have seen me on my first ride trying to fine the now out front foot pegs.:lol: Much more comfortable than I ever imagined.

I stopped by a dealership before buying my bike and went through about 75 used bikes before choosing the Spirit, size and fit seemed perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Yup! That's a Real-Nice scoot and there's not much that bike won't do.. Have a Great Adventure! ...and ...um ... Take some pictures ;)

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
and yogie best of luck with the new spirit ! :)

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Thanks everyone, my bike is a 750 and what little time I've had it out I love it. This 800 mile round trip would be done over about a weeks time in no rush, many curves and sites to see along the way.
After so many years off of a bike you should have seen me on my first ride trying to fine the now out front foot pegs.:lol: Much more comfortable than I ever imagined.

I stopped by a dealership before buying my bike and went through about 75 used bikes before choosing the Spirit, size and fit seemed perfect for me.
Time for you to include a pic of your ride in your signature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts