Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing The Shark radio. I wired up the power wire to an SAE plug and tucked it under the right side cover and connected to the SAE input plug for battery tender. What a great ride it was today !!!Sounds great for a 100 watt amp.
Video below ( Sorry, I take better pictures then I do recording videos :)

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Looks good, I have a Shark System w/100w amp but not the radio set up, wired mine directly to the battery (similar to your set up), I also mounted the speakers to the windshield bolts (had to get two longer ones) but keeps the speakers behind the windshield........

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you're going to leave that amp there, you might want a way to be able to take it off quickly. They aren't waterproof like the speakers.

·
Registered
776 Posts
How does it sound when you're doing 55MPH? I have thought about doing this for a while now but did not really expect it to sound all that great. I considered putting the amplifier where the tool kit goes, if it would fit. Not sure if that is advisable or not, but it would be easier to keep it out of the weather that way.

Nice job!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're going to leave that amp there, you might want a way to be able to take it off quickly. They aren't waterproof like the speakers.
Yes, I know. That's why I got the bracket with the thumbscrew on the bottom. Wanted radio there because it seemed easier to change volume, etc.. instead of using remote. This way, when I park it or it rains, I can take it off and put in saddlebag.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does it sound when you're doing 55MPH? I have thought about doing this for a while now but did not really expect it to sound all that great. I considered putting the amplifier where the tool kit goes, if it would fit. Not sure if that is advisable or not, but it would be easier to keep it out of the weather that way.

Nice job!
It sounds great a 60mph. I rode for 4 hours today with music the whole time. I didnt want to go home. :) It was very loud with volume at 20 and it goes up to 30. At 25 or so I messed up a bit when shifting because i couldnt hear the engine. LOL

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sweet. Can't wait to see it. I looked on Amazon, and they are a lot cheaper than I thought. I figured a couple hundred for those units, surprisingly much less.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Dan, don't mean to hijack your radio thread but how do you like those saddlebags you have?
judeont - i like the bags on your bike,they look good.

dan,,nice job on finally gettin your radio hooked up..feels good to do something like this on your own doesnt it? definately makin your vlx look good and glad youre enjoyin the bike.

·
Registered
790 Posts
How's the reception on the radio on that system? I have the same one as Eldorado. Sounds really good, but I have to use my MP3 for an FM tuner. Not really a problem until it gets cold. The damn buttons are too small to get to when I have gloves on. Try to turn up the volume and all of a sudden the station changes to static (if I'm lucky) or something like Britney Spears (especially if someone is close enough to hear).

Looks good, I have a Shark System w/100w amp but not the radio set up, wired mine directly to the battery (similar to your set up), I also mounted the speakers to the windshield bolts (had to get two longer ones) but keeps the speakers behind the windshield........
I wanted mine behind the windshield too, but I didn't want to have to mess with them when I pull the windshield off. I didn't like the way the supplied brackets attached to the handlebar either. I picked up some 1" rubber lined clamps from Lowes and used those to mount the speakers to the handlebar. You can see them peeking out just below the speakers. That wire running over the speaker is for the battery tender. The amp is hard wired to a relay to cut off when the bike shuts off.

Nice job!
At 55, I have no problem hearing. At 75 - 80, I need to have the volume at about 80% - 85% to hear it clearly. Not really a problem, but I wonder what kind hearing problems that may cause down the road. Keep in mind that this is with a windshield. I haven't tried it riding without the shield yet.

I had thought about hiding the amp, but I like being able to hit the mute or power buttons to be able to turn it off quickly. When I have gloves on, I can't do that from the MP3 player. It will fit in the little cubby for the tool kit but, I'd be concerned about getting enough air to keep it cool. Mine gets fairly warm when the volume is up.

How well could you hear this thru a full face helmet?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
No problems at all. If the face shield is completely closed, I do have to turn it up two or three notches to be able to hear as well with the shield open. Even just cracking the shield open makes a big difference. Unless it's freezing out, I usually leave the shield open to some degree.

Not sure because I have a half helmet. I would think it should sound good . The volume in video was only 3/4 turned up. I'l make another video tomorrow with bike running and radio at full volume.
To give everyone an idea of how loud it actually is, When you make the video, try turning it on and then walking away from the bike to see how far you can get and still be able to hear it.

Sweet. Can't wait to see it. I looked on Amazon, and they are a lot cheaper than I thought. I figured a couple hundred for those units, surprisingly much less.
I haven't checked Amazon prices, but I picked mine up on ebay for $50.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
cool bud

·
Registered
205 Posts
I too have a shark audio system on my bike and love it. I mounted my amp behind the right side cover and use the remote. I got caught in the rain riding home from work one day and the amp never got wet!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
motorcycle yacht marine audio 2 speakers+amp w/ all brackets for install

This is where I got my setup, just for info w/my 3/4 helmet and ear plugs I can hear the radio no problems at 65+ but as mentioned I do have to turn the volume up, what I did was turn the amp full volume and then added
Accessories

Volume Contol
Add on in-line volume control. Approx 9 inches long with rotary switch. $5

Shipping: $4 First-Class Mail on all US orders. Usually arrives in 3-5 business day
That I got fromhttp://www.earfuze.com/store.html which I can adjust the volume a little eaiser while riding, I keep it under the flap of my Tank bib and works great, also as mentioned you do have a mute button on the amp for a quick shut the music down when you have to.......lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.