Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute about 88 miles a day to and from work. I feel my Shadow is just not enough bike to safely be on the interstate. Not enough power to get out of the way and light enough with my windshield to be blown all over the lane when the big rigs pass me.

So I take the two lane back roads of which there are a lot in my neck of the woods. I quickly get bored and am always looking for new ways to get home.
So Monday I got on Google Earth and found a little single lane connector road that tied two roads I normally take to get home together. Going home I turned down the lane and was just amazed at the scenery. No houses, road follows a large creek, trees on both side just towering over the lane making it full shade for about three miles.

The lane finally turned into to slightly wider road and I looked up to see this coming up:
20210628_155934W.jpg

I guess the local kids use this bridge to express their artistic talents! Looks like a few also test out their launching abilities.

20210628_155953W.jpg

I have now added this route to the "preferred" routes to get home!

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,328 Posts
Cool but I wouldn't want to ride across that in the rain.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed! The paint is several layers thick in spots and when wet I'm sure it's slick! Couple water with the tilt of the bridge, and even a slight goose of the throttle would send you down in a hurry!

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
529 Posts
That bridge should be on the national registry of unique places to see in Kentucky.

Even though I've only ridden across the western part of Kentucky, I have spent time in Elizabethtown and Bardstown. Lot's and lot's of beautiful roads to choose from in that area. Riding the Bourbon Trail is something I would like do.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
863 Posts
I enjoy finding them roads. Got one of my favorite pics on a really back road.

This was in a stone wall.
What else have you other riders found on a road less traveled ?

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
863 Posts
Found a YETTI looking over a hedge today. No pic yet, car behind me on gravel road...no quick stops. Will go back if I can remember where it was.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe
6 Posts
I commute about 88 miles a day to and from work. I feel my Shadow is just not enough bike to safely be on the interstate. Not enough power to get out of the way and light enough with my windshield to be blown all over the lane when the big rigs pass me.

So I take the two lane back roads of which there are a lot in my neck of the woods. I quickly get bored and am always looking for new ways to get home.
So Monday I got on Google Earth and found a little single lane connector road that tied two roads I normally take to get home together. Going home I turned down the lane and was just amazed at the scenery. No houses, road follows a large creek, trees on both side just towering over the lane making it full shade for about three miles.

The lane finally turned into to slightly wider road and I looked up to see this coming up:
View attachment 295436

I guess the local kids use this bridge to express their artistic talents! Looks like a few also test out their launching abilities.

View attachment 295437

I have now added this route to the "preferred" routes to get home!
We have a similar road in PA in a town called Centralia. It's roughly 1/2 mile of highway cracked by heat rising from an underground mine fire that's been burning I think 60 years now. There's... Male Trophies... painted everywhere. 😂

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
We have a similar road in PA in a town called Centralia. It's roughly 1/2 mile of highway cracked by heat rising from an underground mine fire that's been burning I think 60 years now. There's... Male Trophies... painted everywhere. 😂
Be careful in Centralia.
I think I heard that there have been a few holes open up there in the last few years. And the gases from the ground are toxic.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
863 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh man that's disappointing. I used to go out there ever few years to see how it was burning.
It was really cool uhh hot? in the winter when there was snow and you could see all the hot spots.
I'll probably still visit the site on occasion.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
863 Posts
Turned down a side road on the way home and saw 2 moose or is it moose's, standing in someone's yard. HAD to go back for a pic.

Just more interesting finds on a road less traveled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turned down a side road on the way home and saw 2 moose or is it moose's, standing in someone's yard. HAD to go back for a pic.

View attachment 295861 Just more interesting finds on a road less traveled.
Some people are into strange things..lol
Also, according to your quote I'm an old rider that's just beginning into MCs. 😂

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If those moose were placed on a more traveled road, there would be accidents everyday from tourists stopping for pics! That ones a good find!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts