Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for 25+ years I have used a single piece full face helmet. After my accident, I decided to try the full face that can lift the front up. I am sold and will never go back. The thought came to me today when I had to make a deposit at an ATM, instead of removing my helmet or contorting my tongue I simply lifted the front and licked the envelope. Additionally, I was asked the other day by some one with Canadian plates ( I have a soft spot for those for the homeland) and instead of having to yell at them, I simply lifted the front again and was able to talk in a normal tone. These are but a few of the new things afforded to me by this type of helmet. I a sure it is not for everybody, but it sure is for me now.

I sort of wish you could “test drive” a helmet, but who would want to wear the demo model :twisted:

Cheers all

Dragoon.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Can't wait to get mine back....it will match the bike too!! Black with purple flames.

Gonz

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the reasons I bought mine was because it was a candy red that matched my bike exactly. So with my jacket, my ruby red Memphis shades and my helmet, I am the Red Dragoon :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a Nolan with the chin bar that lifts (N-102 I think but I could be wrong). I love it. It is SO much easier to put on with eyeglasses than a regular full face helmet. I agree with you Dragoon - these are good helmets that are easy to wear and use.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
It's always good to be able to lick when wearing a helmet..... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Dragoon said:
So for 25+ years I have used a single piece full face helmet. After my accident, I decided to try the full face that can lift the front up. I am sold and will never go back. The thought came to me today when I had to make a deposit at an ATM, instead of removing my helmet or contorting my tongue I simply lifted the front and licked the envelope. Additionally, I was asked the other day by some one with Canadian plates ( I have a soft spot for those for the homeland) and instead of having to yell at them, I simply lifted the front again and was able to talk in a normal tone. These are but a few of the new things afforded to me by this type of helmet. I a sure it is not for everybody, but it sure is for me now.

I sort of wish you could “test drive” a helmet, but who would want to wear the demo model :twisted:

Cheers all

Dragoon.
I have a nolan that is my full time helmet. They're great. I wear the Scorpion in colder weather because the nolan does fog a little when it's colder out, even with the Pinlock insert (probably just time for a new one; the Nolan is 2 years old).

They rock.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Dragoon said:
So for 25+ years I have used a single piece full face helmet. After my accident, I decided to try the full face that can lift the front up. I am sold and will never go back.
Dragoon.
Are these the same helmets they call " Modular " ?

Just wondering. I stopped into a dealer and checked a few out and they referred to them as a Modular helmet. They seem like they would be easier to put on and take off with the face portion being able to be opened like that.

Pretty cool helmets. I am currently wearing a 3/4 helmet with a face shield but am considering a full face or modular helmet. I am just not sure about having my face covered like that. Never used a full face so I don't know if I would like it. I am used to having nothing around my face with the helmet on. The wife wears a full face and refuses to wear a 3/4 helmet.

Chris

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just wondering, with the modular or Flip-Up as i have heard them called, is there more Wind noise compared to a normal Full-Face helmet?

I have also been looking at buying one of these helmets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been using a flip front helmet for the last 3 years. I couldn't go back to a regular full face helmet.
I have gotten too used to opening the chin bar to put on my sunglasses, and being able to flex the sides open so it doesn't rip my ears off.
As far as wind noise, I haven't noticed any more noise than a regular full face helmet.
Also, it might be my imagination, but the flip front feels a little bit heavier than the standard full face helmet.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Gonzo said:
Can't wait to get mine back....it will match the bike too!! Black with purple flames.

Gonz
GASP! :shock: Your not having a helmet PAINTED are you?

:lol: sorry, couldn't resist, sounds like it will look way cool.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i got my wife and myself matching CL-Max's off ebay.

spent about $150 for each, and they are way comfortable.

(plus i like the ability to put on my sunglasses thru it)

my wife is really bad with clausterphobia, the helmet is great for her, cuz she can just pop the face up, and not freak out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Christopher said:
Are these the same helmets they call " Modular " ?

Chris
Chris,
Yes they are also known as Modular helmets. I have a Fulmar and wouldn't use anything else. It's nice to be able to put the helmet on and take it off without taking my glasses off.

Alan

·
Registered
949 Posts
I tried on a few modulars..wierd thing is my chin would not let it close.
never could find one that fit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Modular helmet

I have a Hjc Symax and a Shuberth Concept.Both are modular helmets and are great to wear. You don't have to take your glasses off to put them on or take them off. Modular helmets are DOT rated not Snell. Safetywise, I was in an accident and hit my head and slid along the pavement, the Hjc Symax had skid marks on it and I didn't have any head injury. I threw that one away and bought a new one. I would not trade my modular helmets for just a regular full face. Most helmet maunfacturers have modular helmets and cost can range from $150-$600 dollars.

billp

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been looking at these. I have always worn a full face and would feel uncomfortable without it.
Ugly question, has anyone done any testing on these? I really do not like the idea of the front caving in or flying off.
Also, what brands seem to be the best in testing?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Chaser said:
Ugly question, has anyone done any testing on these? I really do not like the idea of the front caving in or flying off.
I wonder about that, too. Does the fact that the helmet is modular mean that there is less protection in areas if the helmet is impacted at different angles? I'd much rather have a helmet absorb a facial impact around the jaw areas and not worry about a helmet failure.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have a Vega Modular and my wife wears a Nolan Modular, both are nice.

As I understand it none of the Modular Helmets have been submitted for Snell Testing, at least at the time I was looking into them. This may mean no more than there is a particular test in Snell which the modulars would have problems with or could be the mfrs don't feel the need to spend the extra money. Personally I wouldn't read too much into modulars not being Snell rated. Over the years I've found that standardized testing often lags behind inovation.

If you do a Google on "Helmet tests" you'll find several sites.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What I would like to see is a helmet that converts from a full-face to 3/4. With a removable chinbar instead of one that just flips up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts