Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF you have been reading all the posts in this section you probably seen
me post about changing the tires on my Goldwing. Normally I do it myself
or cart them 30 miles north to a backyard dirt biker who does it for $15.
But at 100* temps I didn't want to do it and didn't feel like riding the 30
miles in my un air conditioned truck.

So, I take the wheel and tire to The old Honda Dealer in town. There is a
sign saying moved around the corner. So, I go around the corner.

I drop the tires off and decide to buy new brake shoes too. Big mistake,
$160. for front and rear shoes. But I bite the bullet.

I pick up my tire 2 hours later and wait another day before I start to put
it back on.
When I finally do get it on, I discover the rotor is bent. Who is to blame?
Me, I should have video taped the rotors BEFORE I took the wheel in.

Still not the issue, other than I will not go back there. They are not even
Honda anymore, just some independent.

SOooooooo, now I call the Honda dealer in the next town over (Carmichael)
and I ask for some prices. He quotes me $225 for each rotor. I quickly
tell him I am on their online site and they are only $205. He rants and
raves about shipping and down time. But agrees to match the online
price IF, I come in and pick them up. I tell him sure, I can be there in 1
hour. Then he tells me they don't stock rotors it would be a week.
I told him, I can order from ebay way cheaper if I have to wait anyway.

I could have got 2 rotors from a Hong Kong ebayer for $200 + shipping,
but I decided to go with directparts $300 and free shipping. I have done
business with them before and trust them more so bottom line,,,

I now have both bikes torn down. Geeze!
By the time I get them both back together I won't be able to afford gas!

OH, I need a picture don't I? I sure envy you guys with a concrete slab to
park on.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
It sounds like I'm pretty lucky here. My local mechanic, who pretty much specializes in dirt bikes, can usually get me parts delivered for the same price or less than I can find on line... with the exception of tires. He told me flat out that he doesn’t but enough tires to be able to be competitive and to buy them online, which I did. He makes his money turning wrenches I guess.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
IF you have been reading all the posts in this section you probably seen
me post about changing the tires on my Goldwing. Normally I do it myself
or cart them 30 miles north to a backyard dirt biker who does it for $15.
But at 100* temps I didn't want to do it and didn't feel like riding the 30
miles in my un air conditioned truck.

So, I take the wheel and tire to The old Honda Dealer in town. There is a
sign saying moved around the corner. So, I go around the corner.

I drop the tires off and decide to buy new brake shoes too. Big mistake,
$160. for front and rear shoes. But I bite the bullet.

I pick up my tire 2 hours later and wait another day before I start to put
it back on.
When I finally do get it on, I discover the rotor is bent. Who is to blame?
Me, I should have video taped the rotors BEFORE I took the wheel in.

Still not the issue, other than I will not go back there. They are not even
Honda anymore, just some independent.

SOooooooo, now I call the Honda dealer in the next town over (Carmichael)
and I ask for some prices. He quotes me $225 for each rotor. I quickly
tell him I am on their online site and they are only $205. He rants and
raves about shipping and down time. But agrees to match the online
price IF, I come in and pick them up. I tell him sure, I can be there in 1
hour. Then he tells me they don't stock rotors it would be a week.
I told him, I can order from ebay way cheaper if I have to wait anyway.

I could have got 2 rotors from a Hong Kong ebayer for $200 + shipping,
but I decided to go with directparts $300 and free shipping. I have done
business with them before and trust them more so bottom line,,,

I now have both bikes torn down. Geeze!
By the time I get them both back together I won't be able to afford gas!

OH, I need a picture don't I? I sure envy you guys with a concrete slab to
park on.

Dang Frank, you surely need a cement pad to work on, I didn't know you were a *******, do you save Toilet Seats for Horseshoes.........:shock:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The local Honda shop I used to go to, St John's Honda, recently closed it's doors. I don't know why either.
I mean, last time I went there they had the fuel filter IN STOCK for only $23. That's just a mere $20 more than I paid on Ebay for two of them.

I had been going to that shop for 3 decades and their prices shot up like a rocket in the last 10 years. I was actually happy that they went out of business because it forced me to find a new source for parts. Tuesday I paid $42 for rear shoes. St John's Honda had them for over $100 last time I checked.

The new place actually has a good rep and they have parts in stock. They do mail order as well.
Check them out MotoSport Hillsboro - Honda Suzuki Kawasaki KTM & Used Motorcycles - Beaverton Portland Oregon

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like I'm pretty lucky here. My local mechanic, who pretty much specializes in dirt bikes, can usually get me parts delivered for the same price or less than I can find on line... with the exception of tires. He told me flat out that he doesn’t but enough tires to be able to be competitive and to buy them online, which I did. He makes his money turning wrenches I guess.
I think that's the answer, dirt bike mechanics are only trying to get enough money to ride whereas dealers want to fly to Hawaii for lunch.

Dang Frank, you surely need a cement pad to work on, I didn't know you were a *******, do you save Toilet Seats for Horseshoes.........
Strange comment, "JOHN", butt yes, I do. and I hang the lids in my living room. :wink::mrgreen:

The local Honda shop I used to go to, St John's Honda, recently closed it's doors. I don't know why either.
I mean, last time I went there they had the fuel filter IN STOCK for only $23. That's just a mere $20 more than I paid on Ebay for two of them.

I had been going to that shop for 3 decades and their prices shot up like a rocket in the last 10 years. I was actually happy that they went out of business because it forced me to find a new source for parts. Tuesday I paid $42 for rear shoes. St John's Honda had them for over $100 last time I checked.

The new place actually has a good rep and they have parts in stock. They do mail order as well.
Check them out MotoSport Hillsboro - Honda Suzuki Kawasaki KTM & Used Motorcycles - Beaverton Portland Oregon
No one can say I didn't try to support my local business but this guy can go under and I will not feel the pain.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I tried to support the local Honda dealer when I lost the bolt that holds the back brake bracket. Of course it is not something that ones normaly misplaces so they did not have it in stock. They only order once a week, Tuesday with supposely delivery of said order on Thursday. I went in Wednesday morning, so lost a week there. Then went in on the following Thursday afternoon. Shipment had not come in. Checked on time of UPS delivery time, 1000. Went in at 1300 on Friday, they had not opened up the UPS box yet. Had to wait till they opened up the box to find that my bolt had not came with the order. Yeah another week shot. It did come in the following Thursday.

I could have ordered the same bolt from HDL at less cost even with Handling cost, and had it less than a week. Won't go back for parts there. I also have ordered from several other websites and got good service. I used to live in a smaller town without bike dealers, so go use to looking on the Web for stuff.

As far as taking my wheels in for new rubber, I can go over to Medford, about 80 miles away and have MotorCycleSuperStore install the front tire for free when I buy one of their tires. Still need to find a local place to put on DS tire for the rear, but have 10 to 15K miles of rubber left.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Frank,
Don't you know that the "other bike" shops(Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and even H-D) can do your tires. I even got my brake pads(EBC) at the Kawasaki dealer(for my Honda) for the same price as the price off the net. Do you think every bike has its own pad that will not fit any other bike? Most manufacturers use the same 3 or 4 brake pads on all there bikes(cars to) just like oil filters most brake pads will fit more than one bike or car. Get the p/n and start making calls to get the best price, you don't owe anyone lunch in Hawaii. :wink:

Small Claims court works good for your rotors, I would not let the *******s get away with that, to much money for me to eat and it don't cost much to file a claim.

ROD

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frank,
Don't you know that the "other bike" shops(Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and even H-D) can do your tires. I even got my brake pads(EBC) at the Kawasaki dealer(for my Honda) for the same price as the price off the net. Do you think every bike has its own pad that will not fit any other bike? Most manufacturers use the same 3 or 4 brake pads on all there bikes(cars to) just like oil filters most brake pads will fit more than one bike or car. Get the p/n and start making calls to get the best price, you don't owe anyone lunch in Hawaii. :wink:

Small Claims court works good for your rotors, I would not let the *******s get away with that, to much money for me to eat and it don't cost much to file a claim.

ROD
Yes Rod, I know other bike shops do tires. I can also do my own. I just was lazy and it was hot and Roseville is the closest.
A guy in Wheatland will change them for $15 at his place or $20 if he comes to the site.

As far as the brake shoes go, live and learn.

And there is no way I can prove who bent the rotor. Bottom line, I knew I should have taken the rotors off. Again, it was hot, and I was lazy.

BTW, Last year I had a harley shop do the tires and they put the front one on backwards and when I brought it back for them to re do it, they couldn't get it to balance. So they said. But I know the owner was pissed that they had to remount the front tire and I figure he just didn't want to waste anymore time on it.
And they charged me $40 for each tire.
But I was in Pahrump, Nv and had no other options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts