Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read earlier where Ashadowrider and friend were planning on riding all 58 counties in California

Earlier this year I read in a local paper where a couple that rode bikes were also lawyers and they were planning on riding to every court house in Indiana and taking a picture of their bikes in front of the court houses

Sanoke seems intent on riding to every scenic place there is to ride in Colorado

I had some neighbors several years ago that had an MGA that wanted to potograph it in front of all the covered bridges in Indiana (we have several)

Just curious if any others have themed based rides or suggestions as to what might make good theme based rides

·
Registered
236 Posts
My favorite theme based ride must have been my "5 stater". about 500 miles and I hit Texas, NM, CO, KS, OK and back into Texas. It was a fun but long day.

My next "theme" goal is probably to hit all 26 county courthouses in the Texas Panhandle, but that will be over the course of time of course.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure I'd call it theme based or not. But certainly having a goal/destinations helps by added a sense of purpose and accomplishment to the ride. Personally, I like trying to find or scout out new potential fishing areas. Have scored some new great spots this way. As luck would have it, they always seem to be an hour or two away making for a great two to four hour day ride.

Now, if I could only rig up a good way to tow the kayak behind the bike????

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have a couple. One is to ride across Indiana without ever riding on anything other than county roads. While I'm doing that I like to visit every place listed on the county's visitor bureau's list of things worth seeing. I'm presently working on my third county.

BTW, if you're still in contact with your neighbors, tell them there is a little known covered bridge in Perry County off St Rd 545. It is also a very nice ride on 545 with very nice sweepers, low traffic and great views. The bridge wasn't even listed on the Perry VB's site until recently, perhaps a result of my asking them about it and they not knowing it was there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Lisa said:
The Crazy Canucks seem to like to ride to all the waterfalls in Ontario!
You have forgotten the Timm's Ride
Stop at every Tim Hortons across Onterio.
thats one stop every 57 feet.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Some "[email protected]@k" for new/old railroad bridges. Others [email protected]@k for "longest spans of concrete bridges"(1930/40's era). Stone built bridges.

Some visit/locate all the city/county/state/federal parks in ones area.

Some ride roads only with an "odd number"(county/state).

Some visit/locate motorcycle shops that they have NOT visited.

Some locate the "highest/lowest" points in the county/state.

Some make a list of "foreign named cities" in the county/state OR use letters of the alphabet (all or part) to use to locate cities/towns.

Can't remember any more right now...my head hurts. :roll:

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Lisa said:
Then I'll lead the way to Kakabeka Falls near Thunder Bay. :D Better take a few days off though, it's about 800 miles.

·
Registered
336 Posts
williewonka said:
Lisa said:
Then I'll lead the way to Kakabeka Falls near Thunder Bay. :D Better take a few days off though, it's about 800 miles.
I'm in !!!!!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
ya know......thats a really cool idea,

my theme ride......go home to st louis, then hit every single white castle hamburger stands in the midwest.....the following year, all the steak and shakes....mmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
151 Posts
I started the "biggest road trip" ever, this year....

my goal, to hit all of the Biggest Land Marks.

Managed to knock off the biggest:
-Easter Egg (vegreville AB)
- Sausage (mudare AB)
- Mallard Duck (andrew AB)

nailed a few more too, but they weren't on the bike so they don't count....
I figure someone went to all the trouble of putting some of this tacky junk up, so I might as well use it as an excuse to visit!

but I love the Tim's trip, though that is alot of pee breaks!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
beowulf said:
HOW 'BOUT THEM GATORS!!!
They stomped Ohio State but good, didn't they?

Still, comments like this show a certain lack of graciousness in victory:
Jarvis Moss (from Sports Illustrated website) said:
"Honestly, we've played a lot better teams than them," Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss said. "I could name four or five teams in the SEC that could probably compete with them and play the same type of game we did against them."
This is way off topic, but I wish the bowls were closer to the regular season. Two weeks off and then let's play bowls. There's absolutely no "tradition" left, so they may as well start aligning things for a playoff system everyone knows will happen sooner rather than later.

Anyway, congratulations to the Gators ... an awesome football team. I wish we could see them play USC. Florida would stomp Boise State to death, but a Florida - USC game would be interesting.

Hawaii 600 said:
Stop at every Tim Hortons across Onterio. Thats one stop every 57 feet.
What? Have they closed some?

·
Registered
542 Posts
We've yet to make our one day "Coast to Coast Run". I live very near the center of Florida but salt water is no more than 40 miles away to the west and 60 miles to the east. I guess we will head over to Daytona Beach in the AM, eat breakfast & piddle around on the Atlantic shore before heading west for a sunset dinner at Cedar Key of the Gulf shore. Then back home with the sun at our backs. Been both places but never on the same day!
[/img]

Daytona Beach 12/2006

Cedar Key 11/2006

Still in the planning stages are the "All Backroads/No Superslab" trip to the Keys. Got a tentative southbound route mapped out down the West Coast then through the Everglades {US301 to US41 Tamiami Trail} and a return home northbound route right up US27 through the "heartland" of Florida. Time off from work is the big obstacle for that theme trip! [/img]

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Hawaii 600 said:
Lisa said:
You have forgotten the Timm's Ride
Stop at every Tim Hortons across Onterio.
thats one stop every 57 feet.
LOL! how could I forget. :lol:

·
Registered
750 Posts
We have a ride we always do over a weekend early Sept. It always involves about 400 mile days usually on the most backwards twisty roads we can find (did BRP last year) but very often in WIS. Although the theme is always hotel near a strip bar every night. Plus 1 of the guys always has a birthday during that time frame so we have a birthday party every trip. About 3-6 have made the trip every year for 10 years.
Tim

·
Registered
209 Posts
Being someone who loves to visit National Parks I think a National Park ride would be cool. I'd start with Carlsbad Caverns since it's an hour away and has motorcycle parking right up front!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the couthouse idea BUT Ga. has 159 counties (i think the most of any state) and it would take about 3 days which might be fun and interesting but i would not do it by myself. :shock:

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
theme ride

This spring I will start riding with my camera and whenever I happen upon a business with a person's name that is the same as someone I know, I am taking a nice photo of the place and framing it and giving it to that person as a little keepsake kind of thing. (For instance: My sister Anna will get a pic of Anna's Hoagie Shop in Prospect Park, PA.)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lisa said:
Several years ago my wife bought me a book called Scenic Drives In Indiana. We use that to plan some of our day rides and road trips. About 3 years ago my daughter and I planned a trip to a little town northwest of us called Wiliamsport. The book said that it had the tallest waterfall in Indiana and it was right in town. So we mapped out a route to get us there and headed off to find Williamsport. When we got to Williamsport there were signs that directed you to where the fall was, we pulled into the parking lot and parked the bike and headed for the observation deck noticing there wasn't much noise for a waterfall. When we got to the observation deck and looked over there was a puddle of water at the bottom and a steady drip coming from above the puddle, it seems the water only flows there during the rainy season. We had a good laugh and went back to the bike and headed off to find other things of interest.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts