Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurricane, Flooding & Tornado damage are some I`ve experienced and very much heartfelt
BUT it`s Lightning this time!!!
I`ve seen pictures BUT until I see it for myself it just ain`t the same...
WOW!
Death and much destruction from this recent band of storms, prayer goes out for those affected...
Lightning is POWERFUL!!!
Last nights storm came through with much lightning...
One of the strikes was CLOSE!
The light was still in the air when the BOOM Came!
Shook the house! It Did!...
On my way out this morning I saw the AT&T phone box at the road had exploded and burnt, so when I came in from church I investigated...
It struck a dead pine tree, one we had planted in the yard, It too EXPLODED!
I paced off 70 steps out to where the debris, from the tree, had been thrown...
There`s a hole you could bury a full grown hog at the roots...
I`d never seen such damage from power of a lightning strike like this example???
Mostly, it made 8"x 2" and smaller pieces BUT>
Some of the Pieces of the tree, 3' to 8' long x 3" to 6" were tossed 30+ paces away from the tree too...
WOW!!!
The larger chunks hit a few trees and made skint places in the bark of these nearby trees...
The Boom and power of lightning, tripped a circuit breaker in the house and several tripped in the shop, it took out a couple of GFIC recepticles also, I reckon, being as they don`t work!
It blew the light & motion sensor off the light at the barn too...

Whenever lightning is popping, I pray you`re OK,
Dennis

·
Registered
375 Posts
'D'
You are spot on with your firsthand observation. Here's one to go along with it...
40 years ago we were living in rural northern Minnesota. Our house was built by a top drawer electrical contractor, which very likely saved it. Our next door neighbor was not so fortunate.
Both our houses were fed off the same transformer out at the line pole where the high voltage (13K) line ran up our county road. Both our houses were wired to the transformer with the old 3 independent wire setup (prior to the current triplex which wraps the three wires around a common guy wire). Our transformer took a direct hit from a lightning strike.
The damage to the neighbor's house was horrific. The major thrust of the lightning followed the top hot phase of his 3-wire service into his service entrance to his house. It then continued to ground blowing out all four corners of his house, leaving 6-inch diameter holes at the top of his concrete block foundation in each of the four corners. In the basement, it blew the electrical breaker panel to smitherines, scattering debris from the panel throughout the basement. Amazingly, nothing caught fire in the house, but his TV exploded in his living room and all his appliances were destroyed. No one was injured, but the sudden destruction was very traumatic for them. It was the most profound demonstration of lightning's potential that I have seen in 70 years of life.
The story was far different at our house, due to the wisdom of the electrical contractor that built it. The only damage we had was to a small secondary fuse box (that's right, FUSE box, not breakers) that was positioned right at our well pump which was located in a small alcove in our basement. It was wired with 2 - 30-amp slow-blow fuses each connected to a phase feeding our 240-volt well pump. The house electical panel was double grounded to both a ground rod next to the well casing and the well casing itself. The lightning strike blew the heads completely off the fuses and damaged the fuse box, but there was no other damage to the house. The well pump itself was also undamaged, and none of our appliances were damaged, including the TV. The explanation folliws for anyone interested.
The 3-wire connection between our service entrance and pole transformer was 3 independent wires, as was our neighbor's. In those days, most houses were connected to the transformer with the two 120-volt hot phases on the top and bottom wires, with the neutral wire in the middle. That was the way our neighbor's house was hooked up. Our house was hooked up with the neutral on top and the two hot phases on the lower 2 wires. Lightning, like all electricity, divides along any path(s) to ground, with greater current in the paths with least resistance. The neutral wire on top of our 3-wire service was the best path to ground for our share of the lightning strike at the transformer. The hot phase on the top wire of the neighbor's house was the best path to ground through the neigbor's service entrance and panel. Our well pump fuses took the hit on any residual lightning voltage that was seeking ground back through our panel neutral to the pole. Most of the energy from the strike at our house went to ground through the well casing.
+1 on D's prayers for anyone who has been a victim of lightning.

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I`m very familiar with the that "three seperate wires" hook u, our house had those when I was coming up...
YES!
A GOOD Ground is the trick to that problem...
I was able to get power back on @ the GFIC receps, but they still don`t "Test" when I press it...
Tomorrow is my planned trip to town, HOWEVER the sky is showing that the rain has gone for today, SO I MAY RIDE in tonite to get those GFICs...Weather is coming on now so I`ll see,
D

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Skating on thin ice near the no-no political stuff, but years back in my different life I was employed by an entity that had me armed and operating with tier 1 and tier 2 folks inn and around Northern Iraq and some of the various "'Stans". After about a year over there I come back and watch and listen to news reports supposedly reporting about those same areas. Was absolutely nothing recognizable that they were saying and showing. It was surprising to say the least.

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah TV is Very different than Real Life situations a LOT of Times, Huh?
Wind Therapy = Lets RIDE and not be concerned with the worlds problems ;)

In the Wind,
Dennis

·
Registered
872 Posts
Speaking of lightning, on youtube it showed a motorcyclist that was struck in the helmet from lightning. It killed him on the spot. They didn't say whether the strike and electricity killed him or the fall after being struck. I previously thought that with your feet up and riding that the lightning wouldn't zap you but obviously I was wrong. That was a very unfortunate event.

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I WAS of the same thinking you WERE @kesanders , That IF I were NOT Grounded, I wouldn`t be likely to be struck by it...
I gotta friend in TN that has had several Very Close encounters with lightning, He heads for shelter when it is near...
Lets RIDE, (but NOT in lightning)
Dennis

·
Registered
375 Posts
+1 with Captain D..
A couple things come into play with lightning strikes and bikes.. 1) Don't forget that the bolt of lightning had enough voltage to jump a half mile or more from cloud to ground. The 1 foot clearance between you and ground when on a bike is no problem for it to continue its journey. 2) if your tires are wet, forget any "insulating" value they might otherwise have.
Bank drive-throughs, self-serve car washes, gas stations with pump roof-overs and bridges (get waaay off the road) are your friends.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I know I told this story of a salesman that worked the the dealership I did. He was driving across the midwest and lightning hit his car. Burn spot on tip of the antenna and blasted out the left front wheel to the ground. He was safe inside the matal cage. But it blew out his engine computer in the process. A guy on a bike could be a great lightning rod.

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I KNOW I`ll not be riding in that stuff now!
I hadn`t really give it much thought, BUT Now I seen things I did, and read about biker "hits", I`ll be more causious...
I`ve gotten a New scense of thinking here lately, since my last bout with life`s unexpected mishaps...

I`m TOO Old to hurt,
Dennis

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it appears I can add the well control box to my list of stuff affected by that lightning strike a couple weeks ago...

My son John noticed water pressure wasn`t "quite up to par" while showering, and mentioned it to me last Monday before leaving for work...
I checked for busted pipes, a running faucet and leaks but found none of the above...
Weather has had temps down into the low 20`s recently, so I thought Maybe it were a leak...

Then Friday whilst we were running water to refill the goldfish pond, plus the wife had a load of clothes going in the washer... We used up what pressure was there and the pump couldn`t keep up by running just a few seconds at a time then shutting down for 3 minutes or so... It kept up for bathing and washing dishes and laundry through the week but with everything using water it was too much...
When she went to use water from the kitchen sink to wash up some sweet taters, she used those 4 words I hate to hear, > "We have a problem":came from her lips...I hate those words, because I never Know what`ll be the problem when she says that...

I got on the phone with my buddy the well man of 50 years, he diagnosed that the control box is the problem...
A trip to town & $85 later I`ve got water again...
Also, Ann contacted the local news paper and they`re coming to get pictures of damage to the tree and phone box, I sent an e mail with my "eye witness account" of the lightning strike and I reckon there will be a public interest story on it...

I`m just glad it didn`t strike the house,
Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts