Honda Shadow Forums banner

Thinking about making it a bobber...

15K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Shadow Mac 
#1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any alternatives to Blue Collar Bobbers because they're pretty expensive. I don't have any experience tinkering with bikes so doing things from scratch is pretty much out of the question. Is there another place that has some easy bolt on kits for shadows?

#2 ·
Still no cure for bobberitis I see :p

Why not pick one up that 3/4 done off craigslist? Its full of them. People get good bikes, cut them up and spray flat black paint on them, than cant get them running again and sell them for peanuts.

#3 ·
not as many options for the shadow into a bobber route. Vstar has a bunch of options, but the honda i guess not as big of a market to bob. Maybe it looks to good already. (assuming you have a shadow)

not any cheaper, but:
backalleybobbers.com

you could just start slow, the seat and the rear fender start the look flowing and then you can keep tinkering from there.

#5 ·
It surprises me that there aren't more options. Tons of stiff for the yamaha and I would guess here are 3-4 times more hondas sold then yamahas for the same period. Maybe because all the yamahas over the years are the same and Honda made changes and had several models or maybe because Honda owners are more satisfied with there factory bobber/custom look, not sure.

I was lOoking a a vstar for a while and was going to make it a bobber or custom rear like the Honda has, but now I will leave the Honda for now and may play with it during the winter.

Good luck with the search and keep us posted if find good options.

#6 ·
bobing the shadow

shadows can accomplish the basic bober look pretty easily.
take all the cover Chrome off the rear frame
take off the rear blinkers,front and rear seat as well as the rear fender.

what your left with is a thin frame that holds the rear seat and fender up, just take out your trusty reciprocating saw wit a decent metal cutting blade, and remove any of that frame you don't want.

you can go with the stock seat or weld on some brackets and attach a pan style seat for the more classic look. then all that's left is rewiring the tail light with an aftermarket side mounted set up which can include your license plate holder.

then change out those stock bars, take off all your blinkers, and your front brake from handle down to caliper, and rotor.

what your left with is a bad ass looking bike that doesn't have any of those pesky safety features.

#8 ·
I agree, Blue Collar is way too expensive for what it is. Maybe they should change their name to White Collar Bobbers. The CB series Hondas particularly the CB750 of the 70's variety are WAY popular for chopping and bobbing. There's lots of support and many forums dedicated specifically to them. One of the main problems is that shafties aren't as easily stretched as a chain driven bike is.

I just picked up an 85 VT700 because I was dead set on NOT having a chain this time :)

#11 ·
Yeah thank a lot guys, I probably will just take my time with it and take it slow, I just got the bike so I'm gonna enjoy it the way it is for now and then once I get a little bored and it starts getting too cold to ride I can start messing with it.

#12 ·
I think if you take some time to look at the fender mount, you will find it is easy to remove. Remove it and take a look at whats left, see what you want it to look like and move from there.

Sounds like you want the "bobber" look and not necessarily exactly true to the original bobbers. I would leave the front brake alone, you can still have a great looking bike with the front brake on. Not sure what model you have, but you can play with removing the front fender and pull the plastic chrome pieces off and metal chrome pieces off, scuff them up paint them color of choice, wrap the exhaust, if it is a stock exhaust take a look at the mods section you can trim it, cut it, remove baffles, drill baffles, what ever then alot of people like the wrapped exhaust look.

I would search some pictures and start saving pictures of pieces you want your bike to look like. ie what bars, what fender, what exhaust, what painted, and what not.

HAVE FUN!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.