Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I ride 26 miles to work from time to time I'm thinking about adding some pipes. Something not too loud that I can't leave my neighborhood at 6:00 in the morning and not piss everyone off. I would like a deep sound. Not the loud cracking sound. I have never been a fan of loud pipes. I like to hear what the motor is doing and I just like the quiteness. But I see when I'm in traffic it could be helpful. Any suggestion for an 04 Shadow Aero with bags, shield, mustang seat (kind of an old farts bike).

Thanks in advance

G

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sounds like you would be best off just keeping the stock pipes and getting a good loud horn to warn other traffic if you need to.

G

·
0 Posts
gyjoe said:
Sounds like you would be best off just keeping the stock pipes and getting a good loud horn to warn other traffic if you need to.
Definetly helps!!!

I've got a car horn on my bike, easy to install. Have an airhorn, in my tool chest, I still have to install it.

·
Banned
28 Posts
you can check out this set up. you can adj it to sound about any way you want.

http://www.sturgisthunderpipeworks.com/

i used thier idea and made it myself and i love the sound. you can also just punch the baffles and that would add a little noise for you too.

bill

pops52 said:
Now that I ride 26 miles to work from time to time I'm thinking about adding some pipes. Something not too loud that I can't leave my neighborhood at 6:00 in the morning and not piss everyone off. I would like a deep sound. Not the loud cracking sound. I have never been a fan of loud pipes. I like to hear what the motor is doing and I just like the quiteness. But I see when I'm in traffic it could be helpful. Any suggestion for an 04 Shadow Aero with bags, shield, mustang seat (kind of an old farts bike).

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not too familiar with available room on the shadow, but look into the compact stebel nautilus horn. It's 139db will get any motorist's attention.

·
Registered
190 Posts
No thanks, at least for me. Around here, a horn blast might make you wish you were bullet-proof.

Gradually coming up behind or along side someone as the sound also gradually increases with an exhaust that can be heard (not necessarily glass shattering), doesn't seem to "annoy the pig" so badly. They don't seem to take it personally, but know you're there. (Unless maybe you're interfering with their "Gangsta Rap")

·
Registered
539 Posts
DzzRed66 said:
Well....... I have an '05 Aero. I have no complaints about my pipes. They can be sudtle, or roll on the throttle and be loud. Could be even louder, IF I decide to remove the removable baffles.

Talkin' about HardKrome's 3" Big Straights.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/DzzRed66/Motorcycle Related/Sep2006h.jpg

http://www.hardkrome.com/Metric/Metricproducts.asp?BrandID=1&Model=Aero+VT+750+&Submit=Go

Can't go wrong with the Mustang Seat, it's really comfy!!!
+1

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had Cobra pipes on my Shadow and they were deep and beefy. However the tinker inside me thought I should change to something else. I bought some V&H cruisers and they are much louder and give a bigger sound. I'd say the Cobras were more throaty. Perhaps you can find a gathering or bike night and listen to some in person. Everyone hears and thinks differently.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
WildHorse said:
I had Cobra pipes on my Shadow and they were deep and beefy. However the tinker inside me thought I should change to something else. I bought some V&H cruisers and they are much louder and give a bigger sound. I'd say the Cobras were more throaty. Perhaps you can find a gathering or bike night and listen to some in person. Everyone hears and thinks differently.

Good luck!
Heres another vote for the Cobra pipes! Alot of riders will tell me that it's the perfect balance in that it's not obnoxious and won't piss off the neighbors but people will know your coming. When I start up Puff, she sounds like 'I dun woke up the beast'!

On a side note, a buddy of mine has a VTX 1800 (same as Wildhorse) and put on a Hard Krome 2 in 1 pipe. He said it's extremely loud. So loud, he's thinking of putting the stock pipe back on.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have V&H's Cruzers on mine, They are loud and deep but I don't think they are extremely loud (I've heard louder) but I guess taking out the baffles would fix that. I'll tell ya though, When you get on the gas, Everybody hears you coming.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Bet you can tell by my sig that I have the cobra slash cut drags. They could sound better, or louder, but they could also sound a lot worse too . I personally like them and they are serious about their lifetime warranty. Now, my bike is being rebuilt and I had my choice of changing pipes at little cost if I went up to a VH or HK, but I have heard them both and see no need to spend the extra money on the pipes.

I knda like the looks of the Cobras on the spirit, not sure how they would look on other bikes.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
billfitt said:
you can check out this set up. you can adj it to sound about any way you want.

http://www.sturgisthunderpipeworks.com/

i used thier idea and made it myself and i love the sound. you can also just punch the baffles and that would add a little noise for you too.

bill

pops52 said:

Thanks in advance
Neat idea.

·
Registered
119 Posts
DzzRed66 said:
Well....... I have an '05 Aero. I have no complaints about my pipes. They can be sudtle, or roll on the throttle and be loud. Could be even louder, IF I decide to remove the removable baffles.

Talkin' about HardKrome's 3" Big Straights.
I had those pipes on my bike - if you don't think they're loud enough might I suggest a hearing test? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I keep hearing noise about removable baffles for those pipes but they didn't have it when I had mine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
wildwolf said:
Not too familiar with available room on the shadow, but look into the compact stebel nautilus horn. It's 139db will get any motorist's attention.
That is what I did.......except I bought my compact air horn from Habor Freight ($34) at Richardson Square Mall (Beltline & ??) ......it wakes up alot sleepy heads....... I had Cobra tapereds and pulled them off -- after an hour of riding at 65-75 it just started sounding like a hi-performance lawn mower.......went back to stock pipes and an I-pod.....just more relaxing now........ The Cobra's sounded great at idling or up to 30mph and after that's about it for me...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess its the age old question of what type of pipes tp go with. For me, I want to be loud, I want to be heard at intersections and side roads, I want for people to know Im coming. Ive read over 100 post , here and other fourms about which are the best or loudest or inexpensive...etc.
Through my search i've narrowed it down to 3 types for my 99 ACE 750
Cobra low or highboy long shot(which look the best) VH cruziers(the look doesnt appeal to me) and HK 2"(which cost the most)

Any input if you have these pipes would be greatly appreciated....cuz the 750ACE doesnt have alot of pipe choices(unless im not seaching in the right places)

thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know you!

vwfarm said:
wildwolf said:
That is what I did.......except I bought my compact air horn from Habor Freight ($34) at Richardson Square Mall (Beltline & ??) ......it wakes up alot sleepy heads....... I had Cobra tapereds and pulled them off -- after an hour of riding at 65-75 it just started sounding like a hi-performance lawn mower.......went back to stock pipes and an I-pod.....just more relaxing now........ The Cobra's sounded great at idling or up to 30mph and after that's about it for me...
Hello neighbor. :D I thought your bike looked familiar. You posted it on our www.texasshadowsriders.com gallery, Thanks!. I'm going to post some picture of Goldwings in Japan being user as tow trucks. Pretty wild looking. Check it out later in the funny photo section. These folks here have been real helpful in making me decide if I want pipes or not. Maybe I'll go to Richardson Square Mall and see about going that route. It's a bitch being old! Pipes are too loud, I drive to slow (the speed limit). Oh well thanks again to all those who helped and good to see ya again vwfarm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts