Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been to Sturgis. Thinking about doing it in 2014 with a friend. Where do you all stay? Camp or Hotel? Or?

Any hints and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Robins Nest in Hill City SD, is where we did our home base from... They called it a Condo???
Well worth the $$$ we had to spend, a quadraplex... Our unit had three bedrooms and a garage...
More than enough room for three men and for our three Bikes in our unit...
Kinda Centrally located amoungst the various attractions/routes...
We stayed there in 2011, and rode 300+ miles each day in different directions...
What ever you decide on, You aughtta make your reservations now...
http://s130.photobucket.com/user/AnnDennis/library/Sturgis%202011?sort=3&page=2

My first Sturgis too...

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
This is the place I rented for 20 of us in 2015. We will be staying 9 nights here the full week before and half the week after the rally starts. Looks like a great big epic trip to remember. We will be only 10 miles from Sturgis and only miles more to Deadwood.
It's best to book in advance if you want to get what you want. Thats why I jumped on it two years in advance for the 2015 rally.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This is the place I rented for 20 of us in 2015. We will be staying 9 nights here the full week before and half the week after the rally starts. Looks like a great big epic trip to remember. We will be only 10 miles from Sturgis and only miles more to Deadwood.
It's best to book in advance if you want to get what you want. Thats why I jumped on it two years in advance for the 2015 rally.
woah.
how many bikes could you fit in those garages.,?

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
woah.
how many bikes could you fit in those garages.,?

A lot I think. We will have at least 14 bikes on the trip. We will for sure need a strategic method for parking. I think the double door will be the in and the single door will be the out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Contact Us | Vacation Home Renter

An old highschool friend of mine has a business renting out vacation properties out in the Black Hills. Most of them are ski/snowmobile resorts up around Terry Peak and they're not cheap, but if you have a group it's worth it. I think they block off all of the cabins for Sturgis week and run different pricing, but it's certainly worth an e-mail.

FYI - today (3/21) is Anne's birthday!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you're looking to camp, my girlfriend's aunt lives a couple blocks from main street and rents out her yard for $25 per person per night. You have to bring your own tent but the price includes use of the bathroom/shower, use of the grill and she has a fridge outside but you have to jockey for space with everyone else. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
My next Sturgis will be a LOONNNGGG one!!!
I`m thinking a month to complete the travel with MOST of the time in the area...
14 days total was NOT enough!!!! :D
7 days just teased this Ol` Biker,
D

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
We always stay about 30 miles away in Rapid City. Campgrounds generally aren't too savory anymore. I think the crowds have overgrown the infrastructure. Overfilled port-a-potties and the like are rampant... doesn't matter if it's one of the big ones like Buffalo Chip or something smaller. If you show up a couple of days early, some of the locals have deals set up, either for a room or yard space. It's kind of hit or miss though.
Sturgis is a hoot!!! Bring plenty of money!!! One thing a lot of people don’t think about though is you also need to bring a mechanically sound bike... brand or type doesn't matter... and you have to be proficient in operating it at slow speeds and in large groups. Waayyyy too many yahoo's go buy a brand new bike, or rent one somewhere and end up bouncing off other people or causing wrecks because of their inability to operate it or they show up with a mechanics special and find themselves sitting alongside the road half the time with overheating issues.
There are numerous fantastic organized group rides and things to do and see. You might see R. Lee Ermey and get a chance to try out a new Victory, test ride a new Indian, numerous custom bike shows, nudity, debauchery, alcohol abuse and biker churches... take your pick or do them all!!!! Stay a couple of days afterwards and you'll have an opportunity to cruise some phenomenal roads and see some of America’s epic signature views.

·
Registered
93 Posts
best riding is before or after the rally I hate riding during to many people that don't have a clue how to ride in that kind of crowd. I don't care if you've been riding for 20 years its a whole different animal riding at Sturgis

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Just got off the phone with some of our group.

I am currently looking at heading out during the last week of July, spending the week with the family in E. South Dakota, then heading West on Saturday or Sunday. We have a cabin with another group from Denver. Tuesday night is Alice Cooper & Motley Crue, so probably spending that night in the 'chip.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Tickets have been bought for Tuesday, 8/5 - Alice Cooper & Motley Crue @ the Buffalo Chip. RC, hopefully see you there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts