Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some reading about a CT for the rear of the ST13 and think I'll do it for the next tire. Hankook makes a tire that is Z rated and by all accounts will fit the rim. 205/50-ZR17. About $90 for the CT instead of $165 for a MT that lasts only 4k miles or so. A ST going to the darkside.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wouldn't do it on an ST anything. Sport touring bikes are not dark side vehicles IMO

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Pixelpusher hit the nail on the head. Don't give in to the fear mongering. Instead, go find some who have done it and listen to their comments. Contact them personally and talk to them. Then make up your mind after having talked to people who have real life experiences with the set-up. Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pixelpusher hit the nail on the head. Don't give in to the fear mongering. Instead, go find some who have done it and listen to their comments. Contact them personally and talk to them. Then make up your mind after having talked to people who have real life experiences with the set-up. Good luck.
The best advice given!

Some people still think eating ice cream before bed gives you nightmares, sitting too close to the TV will ruin your eyes, breaking a mirror will bring you bad luck, swallowed gum stays in your stomach forever, and if you make a silly face your face might freeze that way. Some people just hold onto the old way of doing things because "it's the way it's always been" and are closed minded to a new approach. CT's on motorcycles are a way of modern life and have proven to be safe and reliable for many, many people. Some try them and love them; some try them and hate them; BUT AT LEAST THEY TRIED THEM and didn't just say the old party line. I'm thinking of one for my T the next time I change, though I have almost 8000 miles on my Kenda K673 and you can hardly tell it's been on the road. If I can get 15,000 miles out of a motorcycle rear then I'll probably stay with MT's. Budgets will tell...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Been doing some reading about a CT for the rear of the ST13 and think I'll do it for the next tire. Hankook makes a tire that is Z rated and by all accounts will fit the rim. 205/50-ZR17. About $90 for the CT instead of $165 for a MT that lasts only 4k miles or so. A ST going to the darkside.
This is from a guy on the Liner website doing a side by side;

Here are some personal observations. This is meant to be helpful, but it is not meant to undermine the findings or feelings of those who enjoy the cost and life of Car Tires on thier 'Liners.
I was on a 3000 km trip recently with around twenty riders. One of my friends was riding a Stratoliner with the 205 Exclaim, and I was on my Fleetliner (Roadliner) with the 880 bias on the front, 200/55 V rated radial on the back. We switched off for about 30 miles of mountain driving with a mix of medium to high speed cornering. Here are my observations:

• It could be me, but the required steering input seemed the heaviest at 30 mph, and seemed slightly less at highway speed.
  • There was a distinct 'greasy' feel on the rear under power changes while cornering. I don't think the rear tire was actually slipping, only following it's tread direction momentarily when power was applied. This was disconcerting at first. This also seemed more pronounced at 30 mph than at 60 mph.
  • The bike almost felt like it was torquing or twisting when the above mentioned low speed cornering occurred. You definitely need a firm grip of the handles.
  • I rode aggressively and increased my cornering speed by the end of the ride with the CT. I dragged boards several times. The transition to the required lean angle had the above concerns, but once the bike was over and cornering, it held its line well enough. The only caveat to this is the bike wanted to stand up to some degree during all cornering. A constant input to the handlebars (counter-steering) was required to maintain the lean angle.
By the end of the ride, I was thinking 'this isn't so bad, I could definitely get used to riding like this.'. If I had put the tire on my bike, I am sure I would have embraced it and never looked back...
However, once I hopped back on my own bike with nearly new (then) Metzeler tires, it felt like a silky sport bike. I was back to effortlessly falling into corners and powering back out, all with one hand on the bars. I couldn't believe the difference in feel. I am sure that riders who switch to the CT are happy with the choice, however when given the chance to compare these tires so closely on the same bike, I don't think I will go with the CT.
I ride a $16,000 motorcycle, top of the Star line. It has exceptional handling characteristics, and although a CT will work and work well on my bike, it does degrade the handling characteristics of my motorcycle. YES, you may be able to do any corner as fast as I can with my MT, but I believe I personally will enjoy the ride experience more with the MT. I enjoy relaxing while traveling, even when in the mountains. With my bike I can corner effortlessly, I often drag corners singlehandedly, corner after corner.
I understand the rear tire costs me $250 CAD every 5000-9000 kms. I will have to suck it up and accept this is a minor cost of the great hobby I enjoy.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
This is from a guy on the Liner website doing a side by side;

Here are some personal observations. This is meant to be helpful, but it is not meant to undermine the findings or feelings of those who enjoy the cost and life of Car Tires on thier 'Liners.
I was on a 3000 km trip recently with around twenty riders. One of my friends was riding a Stratoliner with the 205 Exclaim, and I was on my Fleetliner (Roadliner) with the 880 bias on the front, 200/55 V rated radial on the back. We switched off for about 30 miles of mountain driving with a mix of medium to high speed cornering. Here are my observations:

• It could be me, but the required steering input seemed the heaviest at 30 mph, and seemed slightly less at highway speed.
  • There was a distinct 'greasy' feel on the rear under power changes while cornering. I don't think the rear tire was actually slipping, only following it's tread direction momentarily when power was applied. This was disconcerting at first. This also seemed more pronounced at 30 mph than at 60 mph.
  • The bike almost felt like it was torquing or twisting when the above mentioned low speed cornering occurred. You definitely need a firm grip of the handles.
  • I rode aggressively and increased my cornering speed by the end of the ride with the CT. I dragged boards several times. The transition to the required lean angle had the above concerns, but once the bike was over and cornering, it held its line well enough. The only caveat to this is the bike wanted to stand up to some degree during all cornering. A constant input to the handlebars (counter-steering) was required to maintain the lean angle.
By the end of the ride, I was thinking 'this isn't so bad, I could definitely get used to riding like this.'. If I had put the tire on my bike, I am sure I would have embraced it and never looked back...
However, once I hopped back on my own bike with nearly new (then) Metzeler tires, it felt like a silky sport bike. I was back to effortlessly falling into corners and powering back out, all with one hand on the bars. I couldn't believe the difference in feel. I am sure that riders who switch to the CT are happy with the choice, however when given the chance to compare these tires so closely on the same bike, I don't think I will go with the CT.
I ride a $16,000 motorcycle, top of the Star line. It has exceptional handling characteristics, and although a CT will work and work well on my bike, it does degrade the handling characteristics of my motorcycle. YES, you may be able to do any corner as fast as I can with my MT, but I believe I personally will enjoy the ride experience more with the MT. I enjoy relaxing while traveling, even when in the mountains. With my bike I can corner effortlessly, I often drag corners singlehandedly, corner after corner.
I understand the rear tire costs me $250 CAD every 5000-9000 kms. I will have to suck it up and accept this is a minor cost of the great hobby I enjoy.
One of the best and most objective write ups I've read in a long time. Thank you for taking the time to do so.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've been happy with the General Altimax HP tire. The Hanook looks like a good tire too.

Not to talk you out of your decision, but consider carefully how you ride your bike. Do you ride it more like a sport bike (regularly pushing it hard through the corners) or more like a touring/cruiser bike (fairly easy in the corners)? I routinely drag pegs in corners with my CT and feel safe and comfortable with it, but i'm not a racer. If i drove my bike like a sport bike, i'd stay with a MT.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but here is my question: Why would a Shadow need an ST tire to begin with?

Anyone needing a sticky, low mileage tire and knee pucks should be on a crotch rocket or ST model. I have laid my all my Shadows way over with 880s that go 24K and never had an issue with traction or slippage - admittedly, I don't try that in the rain tho' cuz the rubber has to be un-sticky to get those kind of miles.

Finally, I am mystified as to why you would run a stickier tire which might not be rated for your bike's load, then grouse about the low miles.....you only get 6K.....really? If you have that kind of money and are otherwise happy, why bother to post a question? But then again, I am a dumb ass.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One of the best and most objective write ups I've read in a long time. Thank you for taking the time to do so.
X2... I respect the words of someone who has actually gone out and TRIED something, not just said what he read on the internet... awesome!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That was some good info. Thanks.
It's better than $70 difference. That's per tire.
There are only two MT's for the ST13 that I believe are built heavy enough. OEM Bridgestone BT020 and the Mich. PR2. PR2's are way easier to change manually (I have a No-Mar changer) and last as long or longer for me. It's not just $70. How safe is it to be on MT's that are to the chord?
The best MT I've used is the Mich. PR2 at $165 and best milage I've done is 7k-ish. Two-up they wear faster. When my wife and I were comuting on the ST I had a couple tires last only 4k something. At 16k-ish per year (March thru Nov) tires were adding up, not to mention the time to change them. If a DS tire lasted only one season I would be looking at one tire at $90 not 3 at $165 ($495). 4k miles worth of gasoline. WTH. Some accounts have the CT last 40k. That's some $$$ different.
I'm no knee dragger but from what I've read I'm not sure that is really the issue. Most complaint I've heard is low speed feel and the countersteer thing. I've got a plugged PR2 on there now and when some tread is gone I'm seriously thinking the Hankook CT.
It seams to me MT could be built better. I'm pissed off when tires only go 50-60k on the car and MT lasts 1/10th that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts