Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 VT1100C2 ACE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to what you guys think would be a fair selling price for a 1997 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE? Current miles 59k (still ride everyday). Has a still comfy Saddlemen seat, Cobra accessories, and just put on whitewall shinko 777's and fresh brake pads. Also just replaced the SOB fuel pump with an OEM one. Only downside is she leaks some 2-4 small drops of oil after a 30 min ride, never bothered me. (Still debating if I should just keep her forever).
IMG_3745.jpg
IMG_3746.jpg

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,969 Posts
Nice looking bike. Most of the time you never get back the money you put into add on's and accessories. Check your local Craig's list add to see what their selling for in your area.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
Are looking at getting another bike, or do you plan to stop riding to pursue other interests?
Sell the aftermarket stuff separately, sell the bike stock. You will get a little more total $$$ that way.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,224 Posts
Got the 1999 version of the same bike with 92k miles. Selling price would be a disappointment to me, especially considering the thin list of choices for similar bikes. Don't know why VT1100s don't go for more. Guess it's because they've become small bikes?

Had a similar oil leak for years that I finally fixed. Seal (an O-ring) on the back side of the water pump. Requires taking the engine mostly out of the frame to pull the water pump. Hardly worth the effort except that I needed a new stator. (And still maybe not.) Put in a new water pump while I was at it even though the old one was still working. (Too much effort to go through again soon.)

FWIW, I decided to get mine ready for another 20 years with aforementioned repairs plus new clutch disks and springs, new brake disks and pads, Sabre wheels and new fork seals. Don't regret it a bit. The $2,500 or so I could get from selling wouldn't come close to buying what I have and I'd still be facing a big bill to get a new bike the way I wanted. But, hey, I've been riding the same bike for 2 decades so it's pretty clear that it suits me.

·
Registered
1997 VT1100C2 ACE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are looking at getting another bike, or do you plan to stop riding to pursue other interests?
Sell the aftermarket stuff separately, sell the bike stock. You will get a little more total $$$ that way.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Was looking at getting a c10 project truck next, just tryna figure out what things to get rid of for space and money. I'm thinking of just keeping her after reading some of the posts. I enjoy riding, so finding a replacement later for a decent price is going to be a little hard.

·
Registered
1997 VT1100C2 ACE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the 1999 version of the same bike with 92k miles. Selling price would be a disappointment to me, especially considering the thin list of choices for similar bikes. Don't know why VT1100s don't go for more. Guess it's because they've become small bikes?

Had a similar oil leak for years that I finally fixed. Seal (an O-ring) on the back side of the water pump. Requires taking the engine mostly out of the frame to pull the water pump. Hardly worth the effort except that I needed a new stator. (And still maybe not.) Put in a new water pump while I was at it even though the old one was still working. (Too much effort to go through again soon.)

FWIW, I decided to get mine ready for another 20 years with aforementioned repairs plus new clutch disks and springs, new brake disks and pads, Sabre wheels and new fork seals. Don't regret it a bit. The $2,500 or so I could get from selling wouldn't come close to buying what I have and I'd still be facing a big bill to get a new bike the way I wanted. But, hey, I've been riding the same bike for 2 decades so it's pretty clear that it suits me.
92k! That's awesome. Yeah, there was only 1-2 being sold in my area, so it was hard finding what a good price point was. There was even one with a quarter of the miles being sold for 1.5k (tempting to buy) haha

I was thinking my stator needed a replacement too. I accidentally left my highway lights on, and went for a ride to recharge the battery after pop starting it. I know the shadows run crappy on low battery, but I would have thought it would have charged a little after 15 mins of highway speeds. As soon as I got to the light, it just died. Took it home and threw a battery tender on, and its been good since.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,224 Posts
Yeah, there was only 1-2 being sold in my area, so it was hard finding what a good price point was. There was even one with a quarter of the miles being sold for 1.5k
Amazes me how little such a great bike pulls in. I've been tempted to grab one or two such bargains myself. Passed only because they were too far from home. (Wife would NOT be happy with a second bike in the garage all winter. Definitely wouldn't drive me to get it.)

I was thinking my stator needed a replacement too. I accidentally left my highway lights on, and went for a ride to recharge the battery after pop starting it. I know the shadows run crappy on low battery, but I would have thought it would have charged a little after 15 mins of highway speeds. As soon as I got to the light, it just died. Took it home and threw a battery tender on, and its been good since.
That does NOT indicate a stator problem. Not at all. Fifteen minutes at highway speeds isn't going to do much for an aging lead-acid battery. (FWIW, I just put in a new lithium battery -- shipped at 70% charge -- and it took more than twice that to bring it to full charge.)

There are plenty of links to videos on stator testing. Regulator/rectifier diode checks as well. Hunt them down if you're concerned -- the tests are all done with a low-price multimeter. (You can use an expensive one, too.)

First, though, get your battery load tested. Most any auto parts store will do it for free. That's ALWAYS the first step in diagnosing charging issues because a bad battery compromises test results. Flooded cell lead acid batteries, no matter how well maintained are old after a year. Two for AGMs. (I got eight out of one but the last few months included a lot of rolling starts -- especially when the engine was warm.)

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
Was looking at getting a c10 project truck next, just tryna figure out what things to get rid of for space and money. I'm thinking of just keeping her after reading some of the posts. I enjoy riding, so finding a replacement later for a decent price is going to be a little hard.
Glad to hear you are considering keeping the bike. You can always sell it, but like you said, getting another would be more difficult. If you do a C-10 project, post it here. I would follow something like that, and I think others here would too.

·
Premium Member
1994 GL1500SE Goldwing
966 Posts
Price is a hard thing to nail down. Time of year, location, economy, demand for bike, type of bike, etc just make it hard to tell.
It will sell for what it sells for. Start high and go down.
Find what similar bikes (not just Aero's, but other Shadow 1100's and other similar size metric bikes) are going for in your area.
You will have some that don't like the mods you have done and will offer less because of it.
I would pass on your bike completely due to the tank art (sorry, it looks like a man in drag to me), despite the fact that I love the single pin Aero.

When I sold my '94 1100 back in June, I priced it for what was at the higher end of what similar were selling for (listed for $2,600, seen similar asking $3,000, but had been for sale for quite a while). Took about a month and a half and quite a few low ball offers (listed on craigslist and Facebook, as well as a sign on the bike), but sold it for what I was asking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts