Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to get my throttle to "snap back" when I let off of it but it seems to be stuck. When I let off of it I need to roll it back to the starting position by hand. Any thoughts on a solution prior to replacing the cables?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Does the throttle cables have enough free play/slop?

The throttle should have free play to ensure the throttle sleeve is not getting pulled against the bars by tight cables causing friction.

Next is Lube the cables, CRC, WD40 etc down the cable and work it down by twisting the throttle, I remove the kill switch cover to do it on my bike

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
lubricate the cables.

last winter/ early spring in the cold the throttle on my aero would stick open in the cold. a little lube took care of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I did make sure there is enough play and lubed it well but even after having to replace the entire grip (one that came on the bike broke right away, go figure!) it still sticks. Might try spraying graphite down the cable to see if that helps.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,326 Posts
Did it stick before replacing the grip? Was the throttle tube replaced also?

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Did it stick before replacing the grip? Was the throttle tube replaced also?
I installed grip heaters which I wound electrical tape over to keep in place and prevent damage before replacing the grips, one of these heaters was put between tube and grip (throttle side) and my throttle stuck..

I unwound the tape and the throttle became unstuck..

If there is too much pressure or squeezing on that tube your throttle will stick (being my point).

Also, if glue or something sticky was used to attach the grips and that slid into the throttle housing as you slid the grip back on.. may want to clean that out as that would be a prime suspect too.

Have you unhooked the cable entirely and pushed and pulled on the cable ends to see if the cable is slipping in and out of it's sleeve properly? If it's not binding at all, it's probably not the cable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just recently replaced the throttle tube on my bike along with new cables. I was having the same issues and couldn't figure it out.

Until it hit me... I had part of the old tube which was broken but managed to take measurements with my caliper and noticed that the width portion of where the cables go in on the new tube was .0315 where the old one was .0283.

After sanding the tube on a flat surface with 220 sand paper and finishing up with higher grites I got the tube width to match and sure enough that solved my sticking issues.

This is all provided you have a new tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts