Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, can I just peel off the orange warning stickers that are defacing my gas tank? (I suppose the federal government requires these on new bikes.) Will doing so damage paint? Should I use Goof Off on residue? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
If you can carefully get one corner of the sticker up try spraying WD-40 under it. That will help it peel off. I've used WD-40 on several different vehicles to remove stickers and it has never damaged the paint. All I've done was to wax the spot after I removed the sticker.

Oh, use a hair dryer (NOT A HEAT GUN) to warm up the sticker to make it more flexible.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I used a hair dryer to warm them up, then just peeled them off.. A little denatured alcohol cleaned up any residue, not sure about Goof-Off..

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
So, can I just peel off the orange warning stickers that are defacing my gas tank? (I suppose the federal government requires these on new bikes.) Will doing so damage paint? Should I use Goof Off on residue? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve
If you can catch an edge of the decal with your finger nail(s) and it gently peels off then apply some WD40 to any of the glue deposits on the tank and let it work. Then wipe off with with a soft cloth. Repeat till the gum comes loose. I used this method on my bike to remove the helmet safety sticker and dealer stickers on my tank and followed with a good soap bath and rinse and then applied a good wax to the tank. Decals on the windshield I used Goof Off after making sure it didn't harm the plexiglass.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Thing is, if this is an older bike, maybe sat in the sun a lot. You'll find that with the sticker off that there is now a "darker" spot on your tank. Will it matter, not really but thought you might like to know.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
On my new phantom it just pealed off real nice then i waxed the tank and it looked perfect! On my sons 02 ACE I tried the same and it was quit a bit harder but i took my time and used wax to rub off the goo until it was all gone then waxed the whole tank and it came out perfect, must have been garage kept because there was no discoloration at all, got Blessed I guess!

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Also removes sticker goo: smooth peanut butter.
Just dab some on.
Let it set on the gummy stuff overnite; wipe off with a soft rag.

Glad you got it off there.
Ride safe; ride smart.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
Has anyone tried Coke???
I hear more things about this miracle drink...
:D
Sposed to be good for Rust removal, Windshield Bugs, and battery post corrosion too...

·
Registered
2 Posts
01 Shadow Aero

I was able to get mine off pretty easily with WD-40 and a flat plastic scraper. Applied some, lifted a bit, applied more, lifted more, and after about 5 minutes I had it off. Clean and simple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts