Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Shadow VT1100t, '16 FJR1300
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where this piece goes? (1st picture). I was told (buy the previous owner) that it went under the battery cover, (2nd picture) however, I can't figure out how it does go on.. OR if it even belongs in that spot. I'm actually thinking it was an OLD battery cover, but from what I've read online, that doesn't appear to be correct either. Any ideas?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Does anyone know where this piece goes?
Any ideas?

View attachment 294227

View attachment 294228
Hey JK28,

That piece was made by the company CWI (Custom World International) out of Canada.

It goes over the left-side swingarm pivot location. It only fits on Honda Shadow 1100 models that have the odd shaped battery like this pic.

The cover originally came with longer chromed bolts and 2 spacers to replace the existing 2 bottom bolts that hold the battery holder in place on the frame. On the backside of that cover, in the middle, you should either have, or be able to see, where a piece of double stick foam rubber is (or was) that attaches to the chrome swingarm pivot button. So, you have 2 bolts with spacers and 1 piece of double stick foam holding the polished stainless steel cover in place.

I know this because I have owned 4 Honda Shadow Ace Tourer VT1100 bikes over the last 20 yrs. and I had that exact 'beauty' cover mounted on 2 of them. I still have 1 of those covers in my parts bin in the building.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I tried to DM you, but it wouldn't let me. I do see some 3M tape on the backside of the chrome piece.
Do you happen to have a picture of where it goes? Better question.. do I need to attach it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you happen to have a picture of where it goes?

Better question.. do I need to attach it?
It is for looks only. That is the only purpose it has.

Here it is mounted on my 2000 Ace Tourer (it is the piece with the blinding sun reflection).

In the 2nd pic from your post there is a rusty metal tab with a hole in it on the left side of the slimmer portion of the battery. Look about 1 to 1 1/2 inches above that rusty hole and you will see a bolt that holds the battery box to the bike. Straight across to the right of the slimmer battery portion you will see the other battery box mount bolt. It is those 2 bolts that are replaced with the bolts and spacers that came with that cover when it was first bought new.

If you are not going to use that cover you could probably sell it fairly quickly on the Honda Shadow Ace Tourer Forum. It is a piece of 'un-obtainium' and is highly sought after.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANK YOU Cyclejohn. That picture is exactly what i needed to see... I didnt realize I had to take the battery cover off to visualize or figure out where it went. In every picture or you tube video I have seen, NO one has that cover, so I thought the 'norm' was without it... MAKES perfect sense now. Thank you again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can only assume (based on google search) that Honda Shadow Ace Tourer Forum is a Facebook group?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going back outside to review, I see that part of my issue is my battery box is broken/rusted. Going to have to visit the local shop if I want to install that chrome cover piece.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh man.. my bad...

Ordered a new battery box (hoping I can figure out how to install it), new air filter, new right side bar cap - all should be in today

Yesterday I put in 4 new plugs and topped up the coolant.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone have any experience changing out the battery box on a VT1100? Is it as straight forward as I'm hoping.. take the battery out... unscrew the box.... replace?

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,394 Posts
Don’t you have the factory service manual downloaded for reference? In general, though, don’t make any project seem way harder than it probably will be. 😉

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Troy - I do not.. I've found the OEM parts list on Revzilla thanks to this site, and I have the owner manual.. Guess I'll be googling the service manual next.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is for looks only. That is the only purpose it has.

Here it is mounted on my 2000 Ace Tourer (it is the piece with the blinding sun reflection).

In the 2nd pic from your post there is a rusty metal tab with a hole in it on the left side of the slimmer portion of the battery. Look about 1 to 1 1/2 inches above that rusty hole and you will see a bolt that holds the battery box to the bike. Straight across to the right of the slimmer battery portion you will see the other battery box mount bolt. It is those 2 bolts that are replaced with the bolts and spacers that came with that cover when it was first bought new.

If you are not going to use that cover you could probably sell it fairly quickly on the Honda Shadow Ace Tourer Forum. It is a piece of 'un-obtainium' and is highly sought after.

John
Is the other side supposed to ALSO have that piece? Or one equivalent to it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anyone have any experience changing out the battery box on a VT1100?

Is it as straight forward as I'm hoping?

take the battery out... unscrew the box.... replace?
Yes

Yes

The bike's ICM is encased in a rubber sleeve that slides onto metal tab of the inner battery box. That tab has 'ears' on it to prevent the ICM rubber boot from being able to fall off on it's own. Be gentle removing the rubber sleeve over those ears to prevent tearing the rubber.

John

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is the other side supposed to ALSO have that piece?

Or one equivalent to it?
No. The piece we are talking about is an aftermarket 'beauty' accessory and nothing more.

They never made a corresponding piece for the right side.

John

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C2
210 Posts
Hey CycleJohn. Is that company still making that part? The left side of my Shadow looks bad (my battery covers keep "dissapearing" and the chrome cover piece for the swing arm axle is too expensive. My solution: some paracord and heat shrink and a bath tub plug from Home Depot for $1.58.
IMG_0821.JPG

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Curious.. how much is swing arm cover piece?

Just spray paint the bath tub plug back and you'll be good to go!

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C2
210 Posts
Well, according to Honda Parts Nation that little part is $13.83! I kinda like the bath tub plug. It's kinda whimsical! I think that chrome cover piece would look so much better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts