Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Shadow VT1100t, '16 FJR1300
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For $13 is not bad.. but honestly.. I'd paint that Bath Tub plug and way you go!

If you covered it, that would work as well. How much do those 'beauty' pieces go for? Probably way more than $13. Pick your poison I guess

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is that company still making that part?

my battery covers keep "dissappearing"
Hey JPatron,

CWI quit making those covers several years back. They were expensive back when I bought mine.

Every once in a while I will see a CWI product listed on Ebay for a Shadow.

The company put out a very good quality product. I have also owned 3 of their Driver's backrest (2 Shadows and 1 VTX) over the years.

If the mount nubs on your side covers are fully engaged in the retention grommets on the frame tabs then those covers aren't 'flying off' on their own. Somebody is using your bike for their part's source.

I like your drain stopper. If anybody ask just tell them "If this ol' world ever gets too ****ty I'm going to pull the plug and see what's next".

Swingarm pivot covers and kickstand pivot covers are just simple chrome covered plastic held in with friction ears so I always pull them off and degrease the contact points with alcohol and use clear adhesive silicone to make sure they can only come off if I choose to do so. Just hitting a pothole or other bike jarring event will easily make those pivot caps pop out.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Cyclejohn - Figure I'll ask you here since it's my thread... HAHA

Is the fuel filter easy to change on the VT1100t?

I got the new air filter in yesterday (all I did was take off the seat, off the filter cover take out the old one, put in the new one, cover back and seat back)... added my bar end cap and adjusted the highway pegs BUT after I started it... after a few seconds, it stalled out on me... so I restarted it... waited a few seconds/ a minute then gave it some throttle and it died.. after I started it again, it was running, but almost with a 'hickup/gasp' in the sound... I ended up going for a ride and turned it off 3 times as I made 3 stops. It didnt seem to do that hickup thing again, but my buddy said its possibly the fuel filter clogged. Is that something easy to do?

Yes I will also google/you tube it - but I like first hand experience from this forum.

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C2
210 Posts
Hey JPatron,

Swingarm pivot covers and kickstand pivot covers are just simple chrome covered plastic held in with friction ears so I always pull them off and degrease the contact points with alcohol and use clear adhesive silicone to make sure they can only come off if I choose to do so. Just hitting a pothole or other bike jarring event will easily make those pivot caps pop out.

John
Thanks for the info about the adhesive silicone for the pivot covers (why didn't I think of that!). Every time I finish a ride I check the right side pivot cover, and sure enough, I have to always push it back in. I can't put a bath tub plug on the right side because the swingarm axle sticks out too much on the right side.

I'm going to keep a look out on eBay for that chrome cover piece.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is the fuel filter easy to change on the VT1100t?

it was running, but almost with a 'hickup/gasp' in the sound
Hey Jon,

I did not realize that you had asked me a question or I would have replied days ago.

The fuel filter on the Ace Tourer is easy to change.

First thing first, turn the fuel petcock off and crank the bike. Let it run idling until it shuts itself down from lack of fuel. Now you know the fuel lines are as empty as they can be while removing the fuel filter.

Remove the side covers (left and right) below the seat. Disconnect the battery and remove it. Pull the battery box out. Now you have access to the hose/clamp on the left side of the filter.

On the right side, unbolt the clamp that holds the rear brake line. Now you can push down the brake line and have just a little bit more wiggle room to take the clamp off of the fuel hose on the right/discharge side of the filter.

The fuel filter is in a rubber sleeve. The rubber sleeve has a slot in it that slides onto a metal tab that protrudes from the clamp that holds the fuel pump to the bottom/back of the air filter housing.

Having a couple of pairs of long snout needle nose pliers helps greatly with this job.

Be gentle when twisting the fuel lines off of the fuel filter. If they are the originals they are quite old.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you John. that is quite detailed! Since I ordered a new Battery Box anyway, I'll wait until it comes in and replace it, and the fuel filter at the same time!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@cyclejohn - back to the beauty piece... could you take a picture for me of how your beauty piece is attached maybe close up with the top cover off? I went to install mine, and got it on.. however, with the T battery I can't get the battery in. Note, while I got the beauty piece with the motorcycle, it didnt have the bolts/spacers. I think I'm missing a piece/two.

Curious. do you have the T battery or did you change over to a rectangle one? I talked to the guy at Honda and he said going to a regular rectangle battery is an option, however, I'm not going to do it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
1) could you take a picture for me of how your beauty piece is attached maybe close up with the top cover off?

2) it didnt have the bolts/spacers. I think I'm missing a piece/two.

3) Curious. do you have the T battery or did you change over to a rectangle one?
Hey Jon,

I cannot provide you with the requested pic. The pic of my bike in post #4 was taken in the fall of 2012. On April 11th of 2015 my bike became less photogenic due to a 'life' event:

1626817470279.jpeg

Jon, as I recall, the spacers that go between the 'beauty piece' and the bolt hole mounts was at least an inch long (I think they may have been even longer than that). Because of the spacer length, I never had a problem with dropping the battery in or removing it. What few times I actually removed and re-installed the battery I would put a piece of duct tape across the top of the beauty piece to prevent scratching the side cover.

Yes. In the Ace Tourers that I have owned (and my current one) I have always used the T shaped batteries. It never was a problem for me.

A couple of months after the fire I was doing some experimenting with the Ace T to change it to something else:
DSCF0195.JPG

1626818224551.jpeg

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts