Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wish to begin this by saying thanks to CrazyDave for providing me a year long membership with the Texas Motorcycle Roadriders Association. Part of the membership is an active role in the organization. The following is what I want to bring to the leadership to see what can be done about it.

As a Paramedic, I've seen many accidents over the past 14 years. I've come to realize that those concrete barriers that serve as median dividers or guards on fly-overs and bridges don't seem to be tall enough to prevent a motorcyclist from being launched over. Every time I ride next to one, I can see myself in that situation. Those barriers were designed to stop a car. They'll stop your bike just as effectively, but you're going over it if you hit it in the right (wrong) way. That's what bugs me. I don't want to be launched into opposing traffic and possibly be hit or launched off a bridge to the ground below. Sadly, there was an incident in Austin a few years ago. A rider was on his way to the ROT rally and was ejected off the bridge to his death 40 feet below. Three motorcyclists killed during ROT Rally in Austin

Usually, laws are passed for safety. Take for example those median barriers. They were put in place to stop cross-over head on collisions. I'm just curious how many more of us have to be seriously injured, or die in order for the government to do something about it? Or in this case, how many voices will it take for them to listen to us?

Is there a flip side to this? Of course there is, as in all things.

One could argue that perhaps you would've survived a launch into the opposing traffic. Or, what if you got launched into a river (body of water)? Would you rather hit a concrete wall, or some other barrier device?

One other good thing that could come of this, stops rubberneckers. I can't stand getting stuck in traffic when the accident is on the OTHER side of the roadway. People going the other way want to slow down, stop and see what's going on. Guess what happens next? ACCIDENT!

I would like to hear what all of you have to say or think about this issue.

Again, thanks to CrazyDave for the membership and please be safe out there.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Great thought but how many times does that happen? You may encounter it a disproportionate number of times because of your job, but compared to the other dangers out there - drunk and distracted drivers being my main concern - I don't see anyone looking at the cost and saying "This is a smart way to spend this money."

Most MC accidents happen at intersections, next is too fast in a curve/going offroad. Fight to have the laws and sentencing for drunk / distracted driving enforced with no wiggle room. Fight to have more money spent on rider training.......go after the roots, not the branch.

·
Registered
354 Posts
April 20th 2012 I was traveling down an expressway through a Ft. Worth suburb. Trying to maintain a decent following distance when a driver pulled in front of me just as the brake lights came on. She braked hard and I couldn't stop in time. I hit her car and bent both forks. Deflected from that impact I slammed into the concrete barrier. The barrier gave me four broken ribs and a serious head injury but It's safe to assume it kept me from being launched into oncoming traffic. I'm told that I probably owe my life to a truck driver who parked his truck in a position to shield me from the traffic until emergency responders got there. I hit that barrier pretty hard and it made out a lot better than I did, I don't remember very much about the next month. Even with all the damage that it did, it probably kept me from having a far worse outcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts