Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've narrowed my front wheel choices down to two.

Wheel #1 is from OCC. They will make the wheel to fit my bike. The price is $1700 plus shipping (I might just drive up and pick it up to check out OCC).

Wheel #2 is from RC Components and is $1100 including shipping.

I fully expected the OCC wheel to be more expensive because of the name but I am not making price a consideration. I actually think I like the less expensive wheel more. What do you guys think?

My other question is what are your thoughts about going larger than the 18 inch wheel that's already on the bike? CAN I go larger? If I do how will it effect the overall handling/performance of the bike (if at all)? I'm wondering how a larger front wheel might look on the bike. I am looking for a unique build here but don't want a clown bike!!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Both are nice... I like #1 better but have you considered PJD? :)

I have a slightly larger front tire on my bike. I'm used to it now but I could feel it. I'm not talking rim size, but sidewall height. I have juuuuuuuuust enough clearance under the stock fender.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check out PJD. They don't make their own wheels but distribute through a partner that seems to be Harley centric. Finding custom wheels for a metric cruiser is very difficult. I've spent several hours online searching and most custom wheels are for Harley or sport bikes.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I like the RC Components wheel better myself. I'm sure you could go up to 21" or so without drastically changing the handling and such. Much bigger than that doesn't look right (to me). BTW the front wheel on the Spirit is a 19, not an 18.

Just curious what your total budget for the build is if you don't mind me asking? If you're wiling to spend that kind of money on a wheel you must have a pretty good budget. Also are you planning on sticking with the stock rear wheel? I imagine you won't really be able to see it anyways with the hard bags on the bike.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the RC Components wheel better myself. I'm sure you could go up to 21" or so without drastically changing the handling and such. Much bigger than that doesn't look right (to me). BTW the front wheel on the Spirit is a 19, not an 18.

Just curious what your total budget for the build is if you don't mind me asking? If you're wiling to spend that kind of money on a wheel you must have a pretty good budget. Also are you planning on sticking with the stock rear wheel? I imagine you won't really be able to see it anyways with the hard bags on the bike.
Thank you for the correction. I didn't go outside and look at the wheel size on the bike. I looked up the stats online and it said 18. I agree, much above 21 and I don't think it will look right. I'm going to have this conversation with the bike shop that is doing my build but I value the opinions I read on this forum.

I am waiting for the bike shop to get back to me with a number. I've brought him the bike, we discussed everything I want to do and I sent him an e-mail last week confirming in detail our conversation. I followed up today and he promised me a number by the end of the week. The number I have in my head is $5k but I'll wait to see what he comes back with.

Some might think I'm crazy to spend that kind of money on an older Shadow but nothing I've seen out there while shopping really gets me excited. I had considered spending $13k on a used FLHP then doing everything I intend on doing to this bike. I didn't like the bags, fearing or seat. I still would have chromed it out and done just about everything I'm doing to this bike. Instead I have a much less expensive donor bike. As this is the first time I am designing my own bike build I figure if I screw it up at least I started with a cheap donor bike. If this comes out as great as I think/hope it will I can always do a similar build on a different bike in the future. The local Harley dealer gets those out of service FLHPs all the time.

I am just going to chrome the back wheel. Like you said with the hard bags and back fender I'm going with you will really not be able to see much of it.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
i like the RC one better,the OCC one is in my opinion to plain and is 600$ more then the RC one and it has alot more goin on design wise and i think looks good..
i see your point in takin a used bike bought way less then a used name brand not mentioned and putting a "x" amount into to make it the way you want..if i had the money to buy my vtx id either get it the way i want it or buy a used one for cheaper and add money into it. to call you crazy for doin this,,well,,arent we all crazy??

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'd say buy some groceries for a starving child before spending that much for a wheel.

It smacks of the kind of excess that makes 5% of the population consume 65% of the Earth's resources.

I wouldn't say it's stupid, but if you have that kind of spare change laying around I can think of several more responsible uses for it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd say buy some groceries for a starving child before spending that much for a wheel.

It smacks of the kind of excess that makes 5% of the population consume 65% of the Earth's resources.

I wouldn't say it's stupid, but if you have that kind of spare change laying around I can think of several more responsible uses for it.
Believe me I do my part from employing people to volunteering on non-profit boards. I also do a lot for a local family we met who was sent here by the Red Cross after loosing everything to a hurricane in Florida. The dad was laid off a couple of years ago and works odd jobs. We might as well have adopted the family. I know how blessed I am and do give back. However just because there are people in this world who struggle that doesn't obligate those who are not to live in poverty. Do you stop every guy in a Mercedes and tell him the same?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Although I like the OCC wheel, it seems like every chopper out there has that wheel on it. Therefore I would go with RC.
I am courious about what front end you are going to use?
Not my department brother! Seriously that's beyond my less than limited mechanical knowledge/ability I'm telling the bike shop what I want and they are figuring out how to make it happen. Based on the custom bikes they've done they seem to be pretty damn talented at fabrication.

·
Registered
598 Posts
i dont understand something ... spending 5k on a bike worth TOPS 2k ??? im not trying to be rude and maybe i dont understand the point your going for ... but cosmetically, you wont get that much out of it if you decide to sell for another bike ... like i said im not trying to be rude or anything ... are you putting more into the frame ??? new engine anything like that ???................. if its just on the outside you may just be making a money pit in the end ... i dont know ... i got a clunker and it looks like after buying it for 500, spending another 500 on parts paint and small things i feel like a bandit whose really accomplished something ...

then again there may be much more difference in how we look at things ...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.