Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost everyday I run a red light. Same place, same time. I exit the interstate and at the light my bike does "activate" the sensors so I sit for a long time if their are no cars behind me or in front of me, so If their are no cars coming in either direction, I've been going through the light. I know one day I'll get busted, I'm extreamly carefull going through the light but I really don't feel like sitting there for 5 min when there is no traffic

·
Registered
31 Posts
Happened to me too, just the other night.

I came up to a busy intersection behind a guy on a scooter. He couldn't trip the signal so I rolled up next to him. Together we still couldn't trigger it. It's a busy cross street and running the red was out of the question. Now a line of cages is behind us. We both rolled forward into the crosswalk and indicated for the next cage to roll up. That did it - and away we go.

It's frustrating but it happens every so often. I've no problem running the red if it's in my safety comfort zone. This one wasn't.

Wish we were one of the few states that allows bikes to run reds...for just this reason.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
If you repeatedly have problems at the same intersection call the town of whomever has control of that intersection and ask if they can adjust the trigger.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Next time try this trick. It always seemed to work for me. Put the bike in neutral, put the kickstand down, lean over so it rests on the pavement, preferably right where you can see the seam where the sensor has been placed. Leave it there for maybe 20 seconds, then set the bike upright and put the stand back up.

Or, try one of those super magnets they sell to activate the trigger.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
1 If you have the issue, treat light like a Stop Sign and go when safe. DO NOT run the light, just because you know it wont switch, STOP.
2 If this happens at certain light more than others, report to the Gov department responsible, keep note on WHO you talked to.
3 When the LEO stops you explain 1 and 2. Tell the judge about 1 and 2, they might let you off.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Same here...I have 1 light in the morning, that will not activate by my bike. But at 4 in the morning, no trouble seeing other traffic! :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Sometimes putting the kickstand down works. Knowing exactly where to stop helps too. If it’s a light you hit every day stop in a different spot each day until you find the "sweet spot."
Or just get a bigger bike. I did have this problem with my Shadow. Of the two left-turn lights I hit every day one would trip if I stopped in just the right spot and put my kickstand down. The other light would not trip no matter what I did. Fortunately it was a busy light and there was almost always a car there to trigger it for me. Since I got the Stratoliner I have not had a problem. I have yet to find a light that it won’t trip. The frame is aluminum so I guess it’s the motor that’s doing it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have no issues with it, I will treat it as a stop sign, look all around, not just for cars but the law too, then go if all is clear.

Most times, the lawman here in AZ will let ya go if he catches ya, just explain in a respectfull way that the light won't trigger, you're the only guy around, and it's not the first time you've waited for the light.

Just don't be a d*ck about it and act like it's no big deal, it is a big deal, but you gotta handle it in a safe and courtious manner.

·
Registered
818 Posts
In 2007 the North Carolina General Assembly passed GS 20-158e which basically gives a motorcyclist the option of driving through a red light after waiting 3 minutes. Three minutes is still a long time, but it is better than my previous solution which was to turn right and then U-turn (or just run it and feel like a dirty criminal :D ).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts