Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 VLX. It has what I've been told is a "throttle" adjuster on the left side by the gas pepcock. Someone told me I shouldn't use it to adjust my throtttle. I haven't gotten my manual from the dealer yet. Is this correct.

The other morning I fiddled with it "slightly" and it did adjust the throttle speed.

Steve

· Registered
2,530 Posts
Stevehat said:
I have an 05 VLX. It has what I've been told is a "throttle" adjuster on the left side by the gas pepcock. Someone told me I shouldn't use it to adjust my throtttle. I haven't gotten my manual from the dealer yet. Is this correct.

The other morning I fiddled with it "slightly" and it did adjust the throttle speed.

Steve
Are you talking about the idle adjustment screw? This sets the minimum rpms the motor will run when warm and the choke is off. If so, then no, you don't want to mess with it too much. Slowing the motor down too much could cause an oil starvation problem what would result in damage to the motor. Speeding the motor up isn't advisable either because it will heat up more than normal.

If it isn't the idle adjustment screw...then is it the throttle cable tension screw?

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yepper it's the idle adjustment. kind of a star shaped plastic knob with a phillips screw head in the center. i only moved it ever so slightly (less than 1/8th of an inch) i did notice an increase or decrease of idle speed either way.

steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.