Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was riding home from work tonight, and all of a sudden when I closed the throttle to shift into 3rd gear, I felt a snap in the throttle... then it was INCREDIBLY hard to open the throttle again. I was able to make it home, but it was very difficult to ride. Imagine there is no sensitivity in the throttle, its either closed, or open.

I ride a 98 shadow VLX 600.

I have no idea where to even start. Any help is appreciated.

Joe

·
Registered
162 Posts
hrm, throttle sleeve got something stuck in it? throttle cable snap? maybe the regulars on here could confirm.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Does your bike have 2 throttle cables? One is for opening the throttle, one is for pulling the throttle closed. I suspect one of them broke and is jammed. Possibly a problem where they attach to the grip and one is lodged in a way to cause a jam.
I think you are going to have to remove grip and investigate, make sure both cables slide freely and/or find what is broken.
Dan

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can open the housing that covers the top cable ends with just a couple screws. Same for the little cover at the bottom end of the cables on the left side. If the cables haven't been lubed regularly they may just be dry. But the way you describe the failure I'd guess one of the cables has become frayed inside its protective tube and is rubbing in there. I had one go bad on my 88 VLX once. At least it's a fairly cheap fix.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll open her up and give it a look. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
My cable broke, The one that opens the throttle...
I slid it outta the housing, run it through the handlebars/risers and rode it to the shop where I bought another...
I hadto ride in a funeral like that, until the cable was delivered, then installed it and rode home...
I`m still riding on that used cable I purchased...
Good Luck, I`m sure you got a handle on it now...
Dennis
Sturgis 2011?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so with a little bit of information, and a quick look at the manual, I tried to figure out what the **** was going on. But... because I'm new to the bike world, it was like looking at book written in latin. Funny thing, I played with the throttle while the bike was off, and I felt a very similar "snap"... and all of a sudden, the throttle was back to normal again. WAHOOO!!! I thought. As I was getting on the highway to go to work... sure enough, it happened again. When I get a day off (probably in a month or so), I'll be able to pull it apart and see what the **** is really up.

Do I face any real danger riding in this condition?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Im thinking if the throttle wasn't working and returning to idle just right I would park it till I could fix it. Having a throttle stick isnt something I want to deal with in traffic.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
You've identified an issue with the throttle. You might want to put that on your priority list for repair.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
The way you describe the "snap" I`m guessing one of the cable ends is binding, it could be fixin to SNAP fer the last time!!!
edit:
When my Clutch cable broke it did so one strand at a time, that could be what you`re feeling "snap",
I was LUCKY I made it home and wasn`t sitting alongside the road with a busted cable, on the way to work..OR sitting at a traffic light when it finished off the remaining two strands that were holding...

Fix your Bike,
Dennis
Sturgis2011

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Broken throttle cable, down by the carburetor. I will obviously NOT be riding to work today. Hopefully I can fix this myself. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Throttle cables came in. Had a "fun" time taking the old ones off and putting the new ones on. A relatively inexpensive fix, and glad I could do it myself. It took me a day to get the "free play" right, but its good to go now. Thanks all for the suggestions, and advice. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Glad ya got it fixed. Keep the cables lubed periodically and they'll last a long time. You can lube both throttle cables on that bike from the top, just put a rag under the bottom cable ends, spray some good cable lube into the top tubes inside the housing and let gravity do the work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts