Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 shadow spirit 1100, as i go through the gears accelerating, in 5th gear starting at about 65 mph until 75-80 mph it spits and sputters, like it's running out of fuel, what would cause this?

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
It may be running out of fuel if the fuel pump is failing or filter or the screen in the tank is clogging. When it is warmed up, shut it off and drain the fuel bowls to see how much comes out = maybe 1-2 ounces.
Then run it hard and shut it off when it falters and do the same thing to compare if the fuel is keeping the bowls full.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It could well be running out of fuel, but my favorite for this one would be hard and/or cracked and leaking insulator boots between the carbs and the cylinder.
It's pretty easy to check.
With the bike running at idle in a well ventilated area spray the area around the boots and clamps with aerosol carb cleaner, if the idle flutters or fluctuates you have a leak and in a minute you may smell a change in the exhaust to confirm it. Don't breath the stuff in, it's toxic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may be running out of fuel if the fuel pump is failing or filter or the screen in the tank is clogging. When it is warmed up, shut it off and drain the fuel bowls to see how much comes out = maybe 1-2 ounces.
Then run it hard and shut it off when it falters and do the same thing to compare if the fuel is keeping the bowls full.
Thank you, I'll be checking it out this weekend, I'll keep y'all updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could well be running out of fuel, but my favorite for this one would be hard and/or cracked and leaking insulator boots between the carbs and the cylinder.
It's pretty easy to check.
With the bike running at idle in a well ventilated area spray the area around the boots and clamps with aerosol carb cleaner, if the idle flutters or fluctuates you have a leak and in a minute you may smell a change in the exhaust to confirm it. Don't breath the stuff in, it's toxic.
Thank you, I'll be checking it out this weekend, I'll keep y'all updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts