Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember first seeing these things in the mid 70's. There was one installed on my 79 Wing when I bought it. I cleaned it up and adjusted it. Doesn't really LOCK but it's adjustable and will overcome the return spring. I took some really long several thousand mile rides on that, and I really learned to appreciate it.
The wife's arm gets weary on longer rides so I bought this. Just got it. Just about the same as the old ones but there's lots of plastic. It does appear to be quite well made though. Threaded brass inserts rather than just threaded plastic. Looks robust enough. Anyone else use this more modern version?

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
******* engineering INC came up with a nice one free...

I place a sledge hammer/maul handle, wooden wedge between the throttle and cable housing to hold the throttle... :D

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

EDIT

Thinking back in time ===>>

My 1971 CB 750 four had a screw through the throttle housing which worked well...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Have one on my spirit and I was surprised how much I actually use it compared to how much I thought I would use it. Great add on to the bike.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have one, use it on long rides to flex my hand and keep up with traffic. Get some wierd looks flexing your right hand while passing people.

Dingo.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Twisted wire and zip ties work in a similar manner but are ugly ******* devices. That being said, I used a twisted wire for almost a year and it's better than nothing. Personally, I think that style of throttle lock (the one from the OP) is big and bulky and an overkill.

I've been working on a design that will be black, all nonmetallic, low profile, universal, quick install and could be made cheaply enough to sell for $10-20. I'm prototyping it now. So we'll see if I ever get it produced.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have the same as posted by Beezer. Works just fine for me, but then again I am not on the highway much.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
What with this thing, "Tennis Elbow" as the dr calls it, I might go this route for comfort on long hauls...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

EDIT => The wooden wedge works well enough and is FREE when you buy a replacement hammer handle :D

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Why, when you can have this for almost free :)

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Why, when you can have this for almost free :)

I thought about your design a lot. It uses an existing hole and is cheap. But I have fragile plastic in that housing with cabling that I don't want to intrude on. Plus I wanted something on top that people can install in minutes, be low profile, no zip tie or wire flopping around and not be as bulky or expensive as so many of them. Cheap easy functional and stylish. That's what I'm going for.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
******* engineering INC has come up many inventions :D

to make one similar to the video, All I`d need to do is extend the length of my "wrist saver" which is #4 copper :D

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I remember first seeing these things in the mid 70's. There was one installed on my 79 Wing when I bought it. I cleaned it up and adjusted it. Doesn't really LOCK but it's adjustable and will overcome the return spring. I took some really long several thousand mile rides on that, and I really learned to appreciate it.
The wife's arm gets weary on longer rides so I bought this. Just got it. Just about the same as the old ones but there's lots of plastic. It does appear to be quite well made though. Threaded brass inserts rather than just threaded plastic. Looks robust enough. Anyone else use this more modern version?
my opinion based on currently owning and using one:

They work OK and serve a purpose for most local riding situations but unless you are constantly adjusting it it will tend to slowly decrease the speed (slip)
albeit very slowly.

So they are fine for grabbing something out of a pocket, adjusting a mirror, resting your arm,
changing the tune playing (NOT TEXTING!!:-x), ecetera...

*BUT* for long range riding where you really want it to keep at more constant speed for LONG distances the Breakaway will serve you much better.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
my opinion based on currently owning and using one:

They work OK and serve a purpose for most local riding situations but unless you are constantly adjusting it it will tend to slowly decrease the speed (slip)
albeit very slowly.

So they are fine for grabbing something out of a pocket, adjusting a mirror, resting your arm,
changing the tune playing (NOT TEXTING!!:-x), ecetera...

*BUT* for long range riding where you really want it to keep at more constant speed for LONG distances the Breakaway will serve you much better.
^+1. But at considerably more money.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i try not to ride longer than a single tank of gas in a day, i have no need for these.

maybe one day when i retire ill get a big comfy cruiser for long rides and revisit the topic

1 - 20 of 32 Posts