·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Cool bike, there.
Don't know about the lock, though; personally, I wouldn't have it on my bike.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Agree with Harvey. Standard locks are better, not some dubious drill-a-hole installation. Get a reputable unit. We have Throttle Rockers and Crampbusters on our bikes (didn't see one in your photo). I'd suggest you start with a Crampbuster, then consider going with a BrakeAway later if needed for the best/safest lock on the market. First rate design and made in the US.

and/or

·
Registered
352 Posts
That is the way my throttle lock is on my Sporty but it is standard from the factory. I dont have that cool lever though just the thumb wheel. It works great don't know about that one though.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I agree that this set up don't look to good from the pictures and discription, The one I have clamps to the bar against the switch housing with a bar reaching into the inner edge of the grip where it attaches to the lock assembly for the throttle. No drilling or anything, just 2 heavy plastic clamps. I have had it on since 99 with no problems. It works great allthough not a cruise controll it will let you take your hand off the grip to work the knots out.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
That thing looks dangerous. It looks like it screws directly against the throttle sleeve and could damage it. Whatever you buy, you want to be able to roll off the throttle without releasing the throttle lock.
The Harley throttle friction is made differently. It has a little brake shoe that presses against the throttle sleeve and the sleeve is made for this.

My Shadow has a Vista Cruise. I keep it adjusted just tight enough to hold but still be easy to roll off the throttle when it is still applied. No drilling or taping required.

Vista-Cruise

·
Registered
352 Posts
That thing looks dangerous. It looks like it screws directly against the throttle sleeve and could damage it. Whatever you buy, you want to be able to roll off the throttle without releasing the throttle lock.
The Harley throttle friction is made differently. It has a little brake shoe that presses against the throttle sleeve and the sleeve is made for this.

My Shadow has a Vista Cruise. I keep it adjusted just tight enough to hold but still be easy to roll off the throttle when it is still applied. No drilling or taping required.

Vista-Cruise
My Old man has the vista cruise on his VTX. Install was easy took about 10 minutes, works great.

·
Registered
776 Posts
He had a fairly impressive satisfaction rating on his EBay business, but I did not like the look or description of that lock either. I do want to get a lock though so I can rest my throttle hand a little from time to time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow 9 replies and NONE have EXPERIENCE with said device
Perhaps there is a reason.

The unit you asked about is really designed to use a cable tension knob of a H-D throttle housing for a purpose it was not really designed for (as a throttle lock and with the added problem of adding a lever to put further leverage/pressure on the system). Further, The unit you asked about requires the modification of the Honda throttle housing in order to use a H-D throttle cable tension knob on a Honda for a purpose it was not designed for --- in a cable housing not designed to have tension placed on the throttle linkage.

I suspect that if no one replied you'd be saying: "why doesn't anyone share their opinion?" I think it is just polite to say "thanks" to folks who are trying to help. Or say nothing at all.

It's your bike (trike), do what you want.

This folk's opinion is twofold (for the benefit of any future reader of this thread who really wants to know what folks are actually using for throttle locks):

1. The throttle lock unit you are asking about is not a safe, proven, durable or easy to install solution to the problem of there being no throttle lock on the stock Honda.

2. Vista Cruise is a proven, cheap ($25), durable and effective means by which one can add a throttle lock to a Honda without modifying the motorcycle or its parts.

Safe riding.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is the one I used:

Honda GL1100 Goldwing new Cruise Control/Throttle Lock | eBay

$24.95 plus $1.71 shipping, so actually it is $26.66. Hope the $1.66 doesn't affect your decision. :wink:

How to install:

Way # 1 The Sabre Group Tech & Mods

Way I did it: I filed the mount to fit between the push and pull cable on the exterior of the throttle housing. That way it does not require any modification of the throttle housing.

Either way would work well.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I wish Vista Cruise would offer a brake activated release like the BrakeAway (cable, lever, anything). There are times, like yesterday when a deer bolted in front of me, that any other lock would come up short when milliseconds count. The bride has a BrakeAway and adores it given her carpal tunnel issues.

She is advocating I get one as well but I would rather spend under $30 than $130. I'll probably order a Vista Cruise and use it in low risk environs only;
  • highways where the brush is well back
  • limited traffic and
  • minimal cager entries.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HONDA MOTORCYCLE THROTTLE LOCK LEVER CRUISE CONTROL KIT | eBay

Any body that has experience with this type of throttle lock PLEASE chime in with your 2 cents worth! I am thinking of going this direction..
This is the one I used:

Honda GL1100 Goldwing new Cruise Control/Throttle Lock | eBay

$24.95 plus $1.71 shipping, so actually it is $26.66. Hope the $1.66 doesn't affect your decision. :wink:

How to install:

Way # 1 The Sabre Group Tech & Mods

Way I did it: I filed the mount to fit between the push and pull cable on the exterior of the throttle housing. That way it does not require any modification of the throttle housing.

Either way would work well.

Have fun.
I have had fun, riding and racing and fixing motorcycles for over 30 years... I have had this kind of "vista cruise" on my v65 magnas both 83 and 84 and also an yamaha 650 special and It saddens me to see a piece of old tech, injection molded zytle pawned/sold for 25.00$ and I get the underlying snicker from which your comment about " Hope the $1.66 doesn't affect your decision". It's like this..It"s the principle of the thing, just like my principle not to ever go after your old lady! Have fun;)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I wish Vista Cruise would offer a brake activated release like the BrakeAway (cable, lever, anything). There are times, like yesterday when a deer bolted in front of me, that any other lock would come up short when milliseconds count. The bride has a BrakeAway and adores it given her carpal tunnel issues.

She is advocating I get one as well but I would rather spend under $30 than $130. I'll probably order a Vista Cruise and use it in low risk environs only;
  • highways where the brush is well back
  • limited traffic and
  • minimal cager entries.
I know this isn't your "kosher" answer, but with the Vista Cruise, I have somehow learned to twist throttle off when braking. The Vista Cruise is very easy to override, and in a snap decision to brake, I shove the top of the throttle when I go for the lever.
I try to flip the cruise off when emergency braking, but I usually end up with cruise staying on but throttle still slammed shut.
I feel quite safe when cruising with mine, and I ride in heavily deer infested territory every night.
One more thing...if I "feel" something is not right, I flick the cruise off. Gut instinct is something to follow.

That said, watch me hit a deer next week.
Dan

·
Registered
256 Posts
.... for 25.00$ and I get the underlying snicker from which your comment about " Hope the $1.66 doesn't affect your decision". It's like this..It"s the principle of the thing, just like my principle not to ever go after your old lady! Have fun;)
Hey, I got your first assertion that a Vista Cruise was not available for $25. I showed you that it was. What I was saying is that I did not account for the extra couple bucks shipping.

But hey, if you think, on principle, that I misrepresented the fact that a Vista Cruise was readily available for $25 (which it is - for $24.95), then you have a strange set of principles. Oh, and if you think that you and your charming trike have a shot with my "old lady" feel free to try. I would suggest that if you want to improve your odds, start by not calling her an "old lady" as most young women (or even the old women, like you seem to prefer) don't like being called that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.