Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a tip for getting it positioned correctly so it closes the throttle when one lets go of it?

I removed the throttle cable cam (real name?) on the carb to get enough slack to change out my grips and cannot get the spring back in the right position to snap the throttle closed.

Oh yeah... 2000 1100 ACE Tour.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I don't think I ever had that spring off on my bike, but generally speaking how recoil springs work is that you have to put tension on them first prior to securing them into or onto whatever they attach to. In other words spin it around once while one end is hooked up to create tension, then install it. You need tension for recoil. I hope this helps...if not just ignore it. ;)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,050 Posts
Many call that a throttle drum. But if you twist it around one more turn it may be strong enough.
As one person on here said the carburettor is French for DON'T TOUCH IT.

Attachments

Reactions: Boscolo7755

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone have a tip for getting it positioned correctly so it closes the throttle when one lets go of it?

I removed the throttle cable cam (real name?) on the carb to get enough slack to change out my grips and cannot get the spring back in the right position to snap the throttle closed.

Oh yeah... 2000 1100 ACE Tour.

Thanks.
Hey, were you able to fix this?

·
Registered
316 Posts

cannot get the spring back in the right position to snap the throttle closed.
With the throttle cam/drum removed, look and you will see a tall and short round protrusion sticking out at the bottom of the V the carb has. The 1/4 round bent part of the spring goes on the throttle shaft first and goes between those 2 protrusions.

The 1/2 round semi-circle end of the spring hooks onto the round protrusion on the backside of the cam/drum. The protrusions are long enough so that it will stay hooked between the 2 carb body protrusions while you keep the 1/2 semi-circle side hooked onto the backside of the cam protrusion with your finger and turn the cam/drum 1/2 of a revolution and slide it onto the throttle plate shaft.

The throttle return spring only requires 1/2 of a revolution to operate properly. If you actually did rotate the drum/cam 1 1/2 turns to line up the cam/drum slot to the throttle shaft, then you will need to prepare yourself to have to use 2 hands to turn the throttle twist grip to accelerate, lol.

John

·
Registered
878 Posts
With the throttle cam/drum removed, look and you will see a tall and short round protrusion sticking out at the bottom of the V the carb has. The 1/4 round bent part of the spring goes on the throttle shaft first and goes between those 2 protrusions.

The 1/2 round semi-circle end of the spring hooks onto the round protrusion on the backside of the cam/drum. The protrusions are long enough so that it will stay hooked between the 2 carb body protrusions while you keep the 1/2 semi-circle side hooked onto the backside of the cam protrusion with your finger and turn the cam/drum 1/2 of a revolution and slide it onto the throttle plate shaft.

The throttle return spring only requires 1/2 of a revolution to operate properly. If you actually did rotate the drum/cam 1 1/2 turns to line up the cam/drum slot to the throttle shaft, then you will need to prepare yourself to have to use 2 hands to turn the throttle twist grip to accelerate, lol.

John

Your not supposed to have two hands on the throttle when riding...though that was called throttle control...

·
Registered
47 Posts

John
Thanks! This is helpful. Been hard to find anything helpful, especially pictures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 on the helpful info!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I ran into a problem because I basically shook the rust loose in the throttle cables. End result was I had to clean and lube the throttle cables for the throttle to work right again. Had nothing to do with the spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts

John
YOU JOHN quite literally saved my summer, and a bit of my self esteem too..!!! May wide open roads and lots of sunshine lay ahead of you!! I ran into the same issue, and after 48hours of research I stumbled upon your caring guidance which I have followed to the letter and fckin Voila; I. did. it!!!
Thank you from Switzerland,
Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts