Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced my throttle tube and the cables didn’t have much wiggle room. I was able to get the new one on with some persuasion. It snaps back fine when left and center and just a tad slower snap when all the way right but still a snap. My question is the cable bent a bit when I was wiggling it in to the new tube. Should I have any concern?

it’s the return cable. See pic. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,543 Posts
They can kink but don't see anything like that. Looks like you just need to adjust the cables. If your not sure how download a manual in the tech section sticky.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also say it was an aftermarket tube off eBay so maybe the diameter where the wire goes is a tad smaller.
I tested again and it’s snapping fine in all directions. I’m just worried about it sliding off? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,337 Posts
The throttle tube inserts into the collar where your kill switch and starter button are. Installed correctly it can't slide off. I like to put a little white lithium grease on the bars under the throttle tube. The throttle tube turns really good and smooth this way.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I meant the cable sliding off because of the slight gap where it’s not completely against the tube. Could it slide off the side of the tube?

sorry for not being more clear

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,287 Posts
I doubt it, at least not without a heap of slack in the cable.
I run a stock throttle tube with a strip of zip tie glued to the drum and the cable runs dead center on it.
If you look at the wear mark on a high mileage throttle drum it is perfectly centered.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool thanks. So you glued the zip tie to the part where the cable connects kind of making a grove to keep it in?

this tube didn’t have as much of a guide for the cable as the old grips had…so that’s an idea thanks!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
cool thanks. So you glued the zip tie to the part where the cable connects kind of making a grove to keep it in?

this tube didn’t have as much of a guide for the cable as the old grips had…so that’s an idea thanks!
No I glued the zip tie to the circumference of the whole drum except for the cable end mounting point.
The point of the mod was to get in to pull more cable, so it didn't take as much hand motion.
Bikes with 7/8" bars can get different throttle drum sizes in the aftermarket or from different models, bikes with 1" bars like the Shadows, don't have the options.
It is an old trick, back in ancient times we used a piece of pipe and epoxy, here's a video of the zip tie method.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I got my grips on but once they were on I’m not getting the snap back I was before. It snaps back about 3/4 then stops or slowly returns. Thoughts? I don’t have any adjustment left at the bar…

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
There is probably a bit of adjustment at the carb.
Make sure the cables are routed with either straight sections or with loose loops (no tight bends). wiggle them around to see if the return rate changes.
Is the throttle tube lubed? Is the cable lubed? I use silicone/oil spray lube because it's right there on the shelf, but any light oil is good.
Make sure the grip doesn't rub the housing.

You don't want a sticking throttle cable, so get it sorted before you ride.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The grip seems good. I made sure not to push it all the way up to the housing. On the carb which cable is it that is adjustable? The top or the bottom? And which way is loosens it. I’m assume a little loosening of the pull cable will improve free play and snap back?

Tell me if I’m right here…there are two lock nuts and the adjuster in the middle. If I loosen the bottom lock nut, towards the threads and spin the adjuster down (showing less threads) then tighten both lock nuts to the adjuster that would loosen it correct? And showing more threads or spin upwards would tighten it?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I don't have one of those to reference but you should be able to see which cable gets pulled when you twist the throttle.
Screwing the adjuster into the bracket makes more cable slack by effectively shortening the outside of the cable, this is the same effect for all cables.
The Service Manual for that bike should define the amount of slack, how much you can twist the throttle before the carb starts opening.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I took off the air cleaner, got to the carb adjustments and after playing with it a bit…no change. Then I got to thinking…what about the ash thing, the throttle housing. I split it and boom instant snap back. Put it together and it drags.
It actually drags on the groove where the housing splits. So I’m going to take a file to the throttle tube and file it just a bit to loosen it up. There was also some black plastic dust in the housing making me think that was the issue all along.

I’ll let you know how it goes and thanks for the help now I know how to adjust from the carbs! But hopefully this solves the issue

·
Registered
18,256 Posts
So I replaced my throttle tube and the cables didn’t have much wiggle room. I was able to get the new one on with some persuasion. It snaps back fine when left and center and just a tad slower snap when all the way right but still a snap. My question is the cable bent a bit when I was wiggling it in to the new tube. Should I have any concern?

it’s the return cable. See pic. Thanks!
Just curious...
Didjya lube everything including the cables???
Sometimes "Aftermarket" just ain`t the right route...
I use graphite in this situation,
Dennis

Double check for binding cables too...

A spray graphite Cable Lube used to be available

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea no binding. As long as the housing is open everything moves smoothly. Close it up and it still moves just not as smooth. I also saw a few flakes of black plastic inside the housing from rubbing.

·
Registered
18,256 Posts
Look for traces of it rubbing, then when you find where it rubs, you rub with some sand paper or abrasive of your choice...
Tight fit Huh?
Dennis

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea tight fit I did some filing and sanding still rubbing somewhere. I’m thinking at this point to just find a OEM tube and try to get the grip off and switched to it.

very frustrated with the whole thing at this point. Anyone know where I can just get the oem tube and not the whole grip assembly?

·
Registered
18,256 Posts
Gotta salvage yard near yas???
There`s Always HONDA but there are Partzilla, /JPCycles and others that carry OEM, also...

Once you file enough off it`ll twist good,
Dennis

You`re already there almost ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts