·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I think your words were too soft and kind. I saw an article similar to this a few years ago from New York or nearby. Blew my mind. I guess that's kind of a thing in inner cities. Something similar in the Bay area a couple of years ago as well.

This could open up a whole topic that the mods would be busy for a week spanking all of us for what we would say.

Terrible to read about though, that's for darn sure.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,657 Posts
The problem with bigger inner cities, nobody CARES! Tell me how hard is it to not know that your neighbor has ATV and rides it illegally regardless his activities? I'm damn glad I live in ""boring arse" Indiana though sadly Chicago is only 2 hrs. away.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,174 Posts
I guess I am wrong but if I was attacked my vehicle is a weapon and I will use self defense.
If you are driving a Buick Century and there is a mob of 30 to 40, I think the chances are good that you can harvest some and get some gratification from that, however given the numbers I don't think it will end in your favor. )-:

·
Registered
'99 VT750CD ACE
289 Posts
The particular story @swifty2014 posted the link to has been all over the local news, I live about 40mins west of Boston. So hard to comprehend what these "expletives" were thinking beating an 82 yearold. I've heard of this happening in NYC and its been a rising problem in Boston with stories about harassing people in these impromptu (because of covid) outside dining areas. Newly mayor is a proponent of defunding police too so that'll help the issue...not

·
Registered
14 Posts
Disgusting. What a heinous act. At first I was all for the "bikelife" movement because I watched the documentary "12 o clock Boys" and I saw how much of an impact these machines had on the people in the inner cities and how they were helping kids overcome adversity. But now it's just getting out of hand when you see **** like this. They should have designated lots for these riders to operate and some sort of system to check for paperwork; they need to separate the thugs from the innocent riders.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I guess I am wrong but if I was attacked my vehicle is a weapon and I will use self defense.
Living in a major city, and having experienced both sides of group rides, I think that these incidents usually start with some perceived infraction by the driver of the 4 - wheeler. In the cyclists' group mind, they own the road during these rides. Attempting to change lanes or make a turn, with motorcycles coursing past on each side of you, is a tricky thing.

For example, in this incident, where bicyclists attack a man and his elderly mother in their car, the driver of the BMW braked while a young man was doing a wheelie behind them, which resulted in a collision, precipitating the attack.

Of course, riding or driving irresponsibly and illegally is the ultimate cause of most road rage incidents, which is what I think most of these are.

I'm sure folks remember this incident, from 8 years ago, which had plenty of good video associated with it:

Likely video will emerge of this Boston incident. Nowadays people like to document everything they do, which, as we know from the above NYC incident, and from the 1/6 Capitol incident, makes the job of the police much easier.

I personally don't think that escalation or aggression is a response that will have the best result.

Remember, that there are plenty of motorcyclists out there, who feel that the use of deadly force is warranted in road altercations in which they feel threatened.
Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

And, on the other side of the coin, there are drivers of 4 wheeled vehicles, who have hostile attitudes specifically towards motorcyclists:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Some years back a good friend of mine and a group of his friends went corner to corner around the US on their motorcycles and had plans of passing through part of Canada as well. He had posted on here asking advice and recommendations for his trip. A conversation ensued regarding him carrying a personal weapon on him, the "need" etc etc. I perused that thread a little while back. Some had posted how they have ridden for years and had never found the need to have a weapon on them. They were 100% correct, but I also believe the 87 year old guy in the original article had never found the want or need either... until he did.
That's a debate for a different time.... I guaranteed it would get shut down here as too many can't contain their need to demean, argue or name call others that they disagree with.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,260 Posts
At least most of us are pretty much law abiding citizens, that prevents most issues. Because of the kind of crashes and ignorance I see in many of the large group rides on YOUTUBE, I think I'll stick to small group rides only. Even then if a car comes up beside me with a blinker and needs to get over to exit or switch lanes I will be courteous. We all drive multiple vehicles so have broad views of traffic. I also drive dump trucks and other large vehicles where you have to watch out not to kill others. Motorcycles stopping on a major road in traffic and expecting not to get hit is just stupid.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These guys are just out to cause trouble and get away with it as they can speed away.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Unfortunately the US is in a pattern that's similar to the 60's.

Everyone is oppressed, everyone's a victim, everyone wants "freedom", etc.

We know how this ends.

What we, as a society, did was we normalized abhorrent behavior in the guise of political correctness.
We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. So people get away with crap.

When society doesn't expect the citizens to establish a norm for the benefit of others, the result will be anarchy, not a better society.

Think of it this way. More will get done if everyone is pulling in the same direction. If everyone pulls in a different direction, you do not have strength. In fact, all it does is tear things apart.

As a society, we are at a crossroads. If we don't get our crap together, our children's future is doomed.

It's time to get tough on crime again.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Several stories of these guys out causing harm and mayhem.
Here they beat up a 82 year old man.
In another thread we are talking about "real bikers".
How can you describe these guys?

Wimps, sissies, and several other “descriptive words “ come to mind but I will refrain from mentioning then here.

These groups are just out there to cause mayhem and to scare the already scared and paranoid American citizen. They pick their targets carefully and will not choose people that could return the violence on them and cause them harm.

The country as a whole needs to get tougher on crime. Personally I don’t give a rats a$$ about anyone’s ethnicity, if you commit a crime you should pay for it. The fact this group was out on public roads riding vehicles not licensed to be on public roads and apparently no one notified the police and/or the police did not respond is a major problem.

I agree with @squidchief about no one needs a weapon till they need one,,,something to think about.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: squidchief

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
At least most of us are pretty much law abiding citizens, that prevents most issues. Because of the kind of crashes and ignorance I see in many of the large group rides on YOUTUBE, I think I'll stick to small group rides only. Even then if a car comes up beside me with a blinker and needs to get over to exit or switch lanes I will be courteous. We all drive multiple vehicles so have broad views of traffic. I also drive dump trucks and other large vehicles where you have to watch out not to kill others. Motorcycles stopping on a major road in traffic and expecting not to get hit is just stupid.
Funny how you state it.... obvious, but seldom do we see it. As motorcycle riders, we find ourselves more cognizant of motorcyclists on the road when we're in our 4 wheeled vehicles. Drive a heavy vehicle, semi, etc. and you become more aware of their limitations as well.

"Courtesy"... that's a word that is slowly becoming extinct.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,258 Posts
I doubt the attack occurred simply because he was 82 or because he was driving a Buick, more likely a case of road rage, however I reserve judgement until the facts are known. I notice there has been more road rage and perhaps that's a byproduct of Covid since we have learned to avoid each other, angered by hoarders causing shortages, and been inundated with messaging that basic human interaction is a threat.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,657 Posts
Facts to be known: Most Buicks sedans are driven by the older than me folk in my area and many have "concealed carry" and yes I believe these punks are profiling their victims. People with handicap plates/tags would be a target for sure. No their not a product of Covid but a product of bad parenting for the most part and a Liberal legal system that's found in major metropolitan cities with overwhelmed/scorned police force because of the Liberal justice system. I guess I live in Utopia Indiana where we haven't been infected with the extreme mayhem (yet) that other American states deal with though I glanced at the Indy Star headline yesterday saying that Indy matched last years homicide a month early.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The trouble with using, or even pulling out, a weapon, is that it lets the other guy(s) claim self defense. This includes using one's vehicle as a weapon. Perhaps this gentleman could have changed the outcome of his experience, but drawing a weapon would have increased the volatility of the situation radically. He might have ended up uninjured, but incarcerated for manslaughter, or shot dead in "self-defense". People who ride unregistered vehicles in gangs and terrorize the population are not known for their restraint in breaking firearms laws. One gun against a mob is bad odds when they are all around you, behind and on both sides, and much more mobile than you.

Attitudes towards weapons and guns differ, depending on local culture, but I don't personally think they are very effective in resolving road disputes while underway. I think a far more effective tool is a cheap "dashboard cam" https://www.walmart.com/ip/1080P-Mini-Camera-Small-Cam-Camera/712374414, coupled with a ready apology, if inadvertent contact is made.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts