Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This years Thunder Beach NZ was a cracker..... but not because of the weather as that was not good this year, lots of wet road riding but its only water so it didn't dampen the attitudes....

My camera ran out of space on the way down to the first spot so missed some great roads after we left the main drag.... But I cleared it Saturday night and got most of the rest (well I missed the end and a couple of spots I forgot to start the camera)

My footage

http://youtu.be/J9MTrYH2ezc

It was a great weekends riding, bit wet but not all the way. Great parties with live bands 2 nights

It didn't all go to plan with the wife pulling out last minute so I had to make a pack rack last minute as I needed room for dry gear for two people.. Usually I put my gear on the pillion seat but my Daughter was on that.

I missed out on the 2015 Harley test rides as I had missed the fact my license had expired... and later found my vehicle license and warrant of fitness had to ..... so I sort of managed to ride away from the check point without being checked discreetly :roll:

one of the official video's that Troy put together, gives air time to the sponsors as well

http://youtu.be/0mrWAlxBZkE

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
This years Thunder Beach NZ was a cracker..... but not because of the weather as that was not good this year, lots of wet road riding but its only water so it didn't dampen the attitudes....

My camera ran out of space on the way down to the first spot so missed some great roads after we left the main drag.... But I cleared it Saturday night and got most of the rest (well I missed the end and a couple of spots I forgot to start the camera)

My footage

http://youtu.be/J9MTrYH2ezc

It was a great weekends riding, bit wet but not all the way. Great parties with live bands 2 nights

It didn't all go to plan with the wife pulling out last minute so I had to make a pack rack last minute as I needed room for dry gear for two people.. Usually I put my gear on the pillion seat but my Daughter was on that.

I missed out on the 2015 Harley test rides as I had missed the fact my license had expired... and later found my vehicle license and warrant of fitness had to ..... so I sort of managed to ride away from the check point without being checked discreetly :roll:

one of the official video's that Troy put together, gives air time to the sponsors as well

http://youtu.be/0mrWAlxBZkE

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I haven't been to the Coromandel since the 1970's, My wife was able to stop me buying a farm there which had a mountain as part of it..I knew nothing about farming, I just liked the mountain..it had a flat top and I wanted to build a house up there..thinking back, it was probably a volcano..

John.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looks like a great ride Leathel, particularly the end with all of the twisties. You crazy blokes ride on the wrong side of the road though. You're gonna get twisted up doing that. ;)
I wish I could put all the good bits in..... but about 400 of the 600 K's were open to tight twisty roads so it would be a long long video

I missed the Hamilton to Whangamata section as I had no card space, that is similar to the end, Missed most of the Whangamata to Tirua as I must have hit the start stop twice... only noticed when a dickhead cager tried to work his way through the group, started it then.... some more great roads missed..

Next time I will be better prepared :p

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Watched the Videos, Nice ride and Group. Looks the the Newzealand version of
Sturgis.

Tell me, are the Bikes predominantly Harleys there like it is at our Sturgis??

Thanks for sharing!

a big chunk were Harley's and Suzuki Boulevards (50/50) then sport bikes of all brands and a total of 5 Shadows. Lots of new Harley riders so the marketing machine works well here too.

I love the fact the new Harley and 109's struggle to keep up with a 20+ year old shadow on that style of road when I led a group for a while, the last stop a couple of 109 riders asked what it was...and where a little surprised at the fact its only 1100cc. Its got more cornering clearance, shame they dont have the same clearance on later ones.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
a big chunk were Harley's and Suzuki Boulevards (50/50) then sport bikes of all brands and a total of 5 Shadows. Lots of new Harley riders so the marketing machine works well here too.

I love the fact the new Harley and 109's struggle to keep up with a 20+ year old shadow on that style of road when I led a group for a while, the last stop a couple of 109 riders asked what it was...and where a little surprised at the fact its only 1100cc. Its got more cornering clearance, shame they dont have the same clearance on later ones.
is "Aussie" a bad word in Zew Zealand? I mean would you take offense if a tourist were to call you an 'Aussie" in error?

just curious

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is "Aussie" a bad word in Zew Zealand? I mean would you take offense if a tourist were to call you an 'Aussie" in error?

just curious

yup... well sort of, Aussie / NZ compete in lots of sorts especially Rugby so its like they are the opposition :lol:

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
yup... well sort of, Aussie / NZ compete in lots of sorts especially Rugby so its like they are the opposition :lol:
Ok thanks for that info.

Hope you didn't mind me embedding your Videos in my post after yours.

In your case what worked for me was to right click the Video itself (while on YouTube) and choose "Copy Video URL", then copy the URL that pops up, and paste in directly in the post still less the "S" after the http.

It was the shortest URL of the bunch, they usually embed right.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
They aren't called Aussies, they are called Strines..Or used to be..ay..

Oop's sorry Leathel is not from Auckland..so no ay..

John.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They aren't called Aussies, they are called Strines..Or used to be..ay..

Oop's sorry Leathel is not from Auckland..so no ay..

John.
Never heard of Strines... Ohh I guess Austrailians them ones from that other country over the way a little, still call them Aussies

These days Aucklander's (Place us country boys love to hate) are called Jafa's (just another Friendly Aucklander) but the F word gets changed for another :p

But I am South of Auckland and cant stand "City attitudes" the must have the latest gear etc :lol:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not quite all the bikes made it...

Cold brakes/tire and inattention is a bad mix....Fortunately the bike he rear ended was fine (dumped the rider but didn't do much damage)

Some of the crew that rode down Friday

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
A few more pics from the weekend

Killing time Saturday morning so took a few pics and I like these ones

2015 Harley Demo bikes

A couple of tricked up Harley's

Rogers Custom mods (Kemps Customs)

Victory, 2x 109's and a std Honda Rune

Those that were in hearing range wearing this years shirt group shot.

A few pics Sunday Morning killing time

A small portion of the Waterways.... Would be nice but the std Lotto might not be enough

a few more from around town.

Last stop before home, Nice quite pub for a meal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts