Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone actually received a ticket for loud pipes? i read somewhere that when you go to aftermarket pipes you should keep your stock ones in case you get a fix-it ticket. my hardkrome straight pipes are pretty loud but i've never even had a cop give me a second look. and sometimes when a harley or chopper goes roaring by you can't even hear your own bike. i don't know anyone who's been given a ticket for loud pipes.

G

·
deerom said:
has anyone actually received a ticket for loud pipes? i read somewhere that when you go to aftermarket pipes you should keep your stock ones in case you get a fix-it ticket. my hardkrome straight pipes are pretty loud but i've never even had a cop give me a second look. and sometimes when a harley or chopper goes roaring by you can't even hear your own bike. i don't know anyone who's been given a ticket for loud pipes.
Well say hello to one who has! If I had a better understanding of thw law when I was ticketed I would have saved myself some moola because as it is read officers may NOT go by sight alone.

G

·
Like to share about loud noise. Once I went to a Land transport Department to have my Shadow evaluated due to a Bike owner informations changing.

I was damned worried about the and it will fail, but the tester told me it is a natural sound and all big bikes are noisy, so I buy by that statement, so far no Traffic attention, they just flip their hands when I passed by. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just check with the courthouse in your area... Where I live there is a noise ordinance against Sterio Systems in cars but there is NO law against how loud your vehicles Exhaust can be. but just like anything, if you are being an a$$ hole going down residential streets witht he bike at like 6 grand just to be loud, a cop can probably think of something to give you big ticket for (and you should get one)

I think people can deal with bikes being loud on the road but just don't ruin it for everyone by taking it to the extreme and I think we will all get a long.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
When I first put my pipes on, I rode over to my father in laws. His next door neighbor is a recently retired state patrolman. I usually sit at his house an drink beer in the summer, he's a pretty laid back dude. So I pull up to his garage and park the bike, I asked him about my pipes and if they seemed too loud. I don't have baffles in them mind you. He kinda chuckled at the question and said "hell no man!" "If a guy pulls you over for that then he's gotta have absolutely nothing better to do!" I believe it.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
It's coming. In CA Harley dealerships will no longer sell or install aftermarket exhaust systems due to potential fines.

BTW, the HD dealership in my little town closed last month due to disappointing sales, while our Suzuki and Kawasaki places seem to be doing all right. And this is Billy Bob country. A sign of the times?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Go here to check the laws (pipes, other) in your state:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

It's pretty good info, actually. Worth a look.

(For instance, CD in NH, with regard to maximum noise: "Max sound level of no more than 106dBA when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle (Title 21, Chapter 266:59-a)" I would imagine you can challenge a trooper's opinion -- absent actual sound meter equipment at the time -- on the actual decibel level.)

G

·
TucsonDon said:

(For instance, CD in NH, with regard to maximum noise: "Max sound level of no more than 106dBA when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle (Title 21, Chapter 266:59-a)" I would imagine you can challenge a trooper's opinion -- absent actual sound meter equipment at the time -- on the actual decibel level.)
may I add , not only challenge but successfully challenge :wink:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I got ticketed for loud pipes back in 1976. I was riding a CB350 honda chopper at the time with TT pipes, with 5" baffles that barely helped to wuiet the pipes. After getting pulled over, the officer gave me th eoption of going home and making them quiet (some how) and coming back to have him listen and he would throw the ticket out. So I rode home and stuffed steel wool inside each baffle. It worked to quiet down the pipes for the moment, so I rode back to the police station and let him listen to my pipes again and he accepted the noise level and thru out the ticket. So I jumped back on the bike and took off down the street, nice and slow to keep the pipes quiet. I rounded the corner and hit the throttle and just as I gave it gas, both wads of steel wool come flying out and she barked like hell. I had to take it easy in lower rpms till I got outa town all the while I owned that bike from then on. Back then, there was no electronic device to measure the exact noise level like they have now. You just didn't want to annoy the local law inforcement and you got by.

·
Registered
943 Posts
TucsonDon said:

106 at 20 inches......thats not really that loud is it ?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
sdbrit68 said:
106 at 20 inches......thats not really that loud is it ?
Yes it is. According to several occupational charts exposure to 106dB for 4 minutes may cause permanent hearing loss.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting thread........made me go look. I went to the website recommended for laws, clicked on Florida and found this under mufflers

"No person shall modify the exhaust system in such a manner that the noise emitted is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured. No person shall operate a vehicle with an exhaust system so modified."

Now........I just purchased a used 05 VLX600 from my local Honda dealer. One of the things I discovered on my "walkaround" was that the bikes stock pipes had been drilled underneath. There were three holes drilled in the bottom of each muffler. He didn't know it he said as the bike had just been traded in the night before?? I liked the sound. Not too loud but nice. Good thing I didn't advertise this. Whew..............

ps.........don't tell :oops:

Steve

·
Registered
339 Posts
This looks interesting (Iowa)

Motorcycles:
Maximum Sound Level No acoustical criteria.

Offroad Vehicles:
Maximum Sound Level 86dba measured at 50 feet.

They dont say what direction from the ATV, or what RPM for that matter. I'm not sure if it could be argued in court if someone were to measure the sound level, probably not. All I know is if they don't measure the dB level, they can't ticket you and make it stick. (Unless you roll over and just let it happen.)

A friend was ticketed for loud exhaust on his car which isn't all that loud by any stretch of the imagination. It was a young officer that had just started. The case was thrown out. As my friend was leaving he heard the young officer getting chewed out by a superior. He didn't test a thing, the officer just thought the car sounded loud.

I do have alternate baffles just in case I need to "fix" it... I'd rather just pay the fine and go on if they actually measured the dB level. If they didn't, I'll see em in court. Alot of the bigger towns have noise regulations, most seem to cover motorcycles as well as loud car audio. The sick thing is that most of the regulated towns started noise regulations because kids wanted to have loud stereos... (I love loud music too BTW, but never had a thumping car that you could hear 5 blocks away.) It does seem that loud truck exhaust gets a dual standard treatment by the officers though. They rarely get ticketed around here. Go figure.

Mark

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Stevehat said:
I
Now........I just purchased a used 05 VLX600 from my local Honda dealer. One of the things I discovered on my "walkaround" was that the bikes stock pipes had been drilled underneath. There were three holes drilled in the bottom of each muffler. He didn't know it he said as the bike had just been traded in the night before??
Those holes are actually stock and they came from Honda that way.

The pipes are dual wall pipes and those are condensation/moisture drip holes.
It allows the water to get out and keep the pipes from rusting from the inside out.
The holes only breech the outer wall and don't penetrate the inner wall
nor by pass the muffler.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The year was 1986. I was driving a '73 Dodge Challenger with Cherry Bombs. Fun car, and loud. Also got one that year for crossing the solid line while merging with traffic on the interstate. I had long hair and a bad attittude, that may have had a little to do with it.

Now I have no hair and no time for attittude. Oh how times change.

H

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok - so do I live in one of the strictest states or what???

Oregon:

Max A-weighted noise level as measured at 20 inches: 1)Manufactured 1975 and before--102dBA; 2) Manufactured after 1975--99dBA.

I think I have to quiet my stock VLX before I get a ticket...

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
It's like anything else that may infringe on anothers peace, RESPONSIBILITY.

I run straight pipes and am very very cautious in neighborhoods day and night not to draw needless attention. On the freeway well thats another story.

Those states that have laws have them because the riders were not responsible and many people clamored for a law.

·
Registered
21 Posts
deerom said:
not yet, and I am very loud.

·
Registered
231 Posts
hoseppy said:
The year was 1986. I was driving a '73 Dodge Challenger with Cherry Bombs. Fun car, and loud.H
Had a 71 340 Duster. One night my buddy and I decided to take the CB's off an run open headers just to see what it was like. I didn't get far, and the cop said go straight home and put them back on and he wouldn't cite me. I did

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.