Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking should I run the wires to the fan switch to a toggle and wire one wire on one pole and the other to the other pole or should I just wire it to the headlight si its on when the key is on. Let me know what you think. I am thinking of the toggle way but im not sure. have any of you had to do this? I do not want to cut out the auto switch completely but i cannot afford the $75 for the switch right now and I am doing alot of stop and go riding latly.

· Registered
449 Posts
I had to do this for a little while last summer and I would recommend the toggle switch. When I ran mine with the fan on all the time, the battery ran down. Apparently, the fan draws enough current to overdraw the charging system, or at least mine does.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
I took my failed fan switch to the local Checker auto parts and they found one that fit. It was a 2 wire switch but I just had to ground one pole. Don't remember what kind of car is was for but only cost around $25.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took my failed fan switch to the local Checker auto parts and they found one that fit. It was a 2 wire switch but I just had to ground one pole. Don't remember what kind of car is was for but only cost around $25.
I found one at autozone 2 pole its got a M16x 1.5 thread and fits a 85 honda civic so I assume they used this alot in 85. anyone ever use this one or know if it will fit.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I talked to the people that i got my replacement fan switch from on ebay. it was the wrong one so im going to return it and they are going to send me the right one. it is suppose to turn your fan on 20 degreesae sooner to keep the bike cooler. So it will be sent off tomarrow. I will not be hacking into my wiring harness afterall.

· Registered
5,238 Posts
Get the right switch, don't hack! Good idea!

Also, don't do ANYTHING that causes extra power to go through the headlight circuit! That includes extra lights, fans, etc.

The circuit is run through the starter button on the handlebars so that the headlight turns off when the engine is cranking. (So that you have more battery power for the starter.)

That switch is rated for exactly the amount of power that the headlight draws and if you exceed that, the button will melt leaving you stranded at the next place you shut the engine off. No, I'm not kidding or exaggerating!

--Justin

· Registered
1,678 Posts
Tubes is absolutely correct! You WILL fry your starter switch!:mrgreen: NAPA usually has a lot of these switches on hand, so take yours down to your favorite auto parts store and see if they can match up with it. Money saved!:D Stealerships are notorious THIEVES!:shock:

· Registered
1,595 Posts
That switch from the civic sounds right. I think it might have a little lower temperature than the origional a the fan seems to run a bit more. Then again it has been near record hot here lately

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.