Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes excellent site. I found that last year when i bought my first bike. I learned so much from that place.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks for the post. There is a lot to read and to learn. all good from what i browsed thru. Definetly bookmarked.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
It looks to me like the author of this site is an alarmist.

He lost me when I read his rant about how dangerous the decorative pins on the front of a leather vest are to your well being. :roll:

·
Registered
884 Posts
gat803 said:
It looks to me like the author of this site is an alarmist.

He lost me when I read his rant about how dangerous the decorative pins on the front of a leather vest are to your well being. :roll:
The pins are not the least bit harmful, when everything is operating within it's proper parameters. But, the old saying "Dress for the fall, not for the ride" rings a bit of truth when sliding leather side down across the asphalt at any speed. I certainly wouldn't want to have those pins stuck in my vest between me & the road surface. They heat up, they poke, & they generally don't do anything to help you stop.

But, I see plenty of folks with so many pins on their vests that it's difficult to see any leather. Then, anyone who's gone to that many events probably has ridden far more miles than I have. Still, doesn't mean some idiot won't "stop in time" behind you, sending you skidding, face first, across the asphalt. I'm just glad that I didn't have any pins in my leather when it happened to me.

One final word of advice when looking at that sight. It's strictly dedicated to safety. If that's not your cup of tea, then the sight probably doesn't provide as much useful info to you as it would to someone who is trying to do everything possible to increase/maintain their safety when riding. I'm not saying YOU'RE not trying to be safe. I am, however, saying that there are degrees of safety & going pin-less is probably a little bit safer (less dangerous) than wearing a vest full (or even a single one) of pins. It's all about the little tweaks that can make big differences when it comes to how safety precautions can pan out. Me? I like the site. I like what it said about the first-aid kit, about riding in groups, about almost everything I read. You may not agree that you will do all the stuff it says, but you can't argue that that the advice offered hasn't been well thought out & probably true.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Thanks for making my point David.
Not wearing pins probably is a very little bit safer, but safer from what???
A small pin prick? A scratch?....... Death by "Live Free Or Die" pin???
I'd love to see the stats on the number of bikers killed by their leather vest. lol

When does it become too much? You talk about doing "every thing possible" to be safer, but at what point does the preoccupation with safety overwhelm the simple joy of riding a motorcycle? Or life for that matter.

Don't mis-understand, I'm not arguing against being safe. What I'm finding counter productive is being fanatical about it.
How can anyone enjoy their life, or ride, when they're so constantly afraid of something bad happening to it.

Daily on this site, there is a thread about a rider getting killed or injured. Or how you're an idiot if you're not wearing a full armor protected, kevlar reinforced body condom, topped by a state of the art DOT/Snell full face diving helmet.
Don't forget the steel toe and shank knee length super duty riding boots.

Come on...The casual observer would have to ask the question, why are these people riding motorcycles if they are so damned afraid of getting hurt on them.

I understand there are a lot of fng's here, but don't you think they might enjoy the sport a little more if we didn't constantly scare the hell out of them.

I don't want to get damaged or dead any more than the next guy, (I haven't fallen off of a motorcycle since I stopped drinking while riding them) and I think I've done a good job of keeping myself safe over the past 37 years of riding these crazy things.
But..
If I was really concerned about my safety, and the welfare of those who might be left behind in the event of my, ah, untimely demise, I think I would have to stop riding all together and just sit in front of the tv all day.
Then I could die slowly of Alzheimers or prostate cancer at an old age like all of the truely safe people.

That would be the safe, responsible thing to do.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Really good points made here.....

I liked the majority of the site, some good ideas, some things I thought were a little too much, so I take what I need and glance at the rest.

for someone like me that is fairly new to group riding, they made some good points.

worrying about a chest full of pins if I go down at 55mph...is not a point I am gonna worry about.

I would agree the author put some serious thought into this.....and is really trying to help, but I agree, he is a little bit of an alarmist.

I stick to basics when i go out.......helmet,gloves,boots,leather jacket, heavy jeans and sometimes chaps.

When I start doing longer tours, then I will wear the body armor jackets and pants, since I will probably be on the highway more

·
Registered
628 Posts
msg

Saint

I found the Davis site last May before I took the MSF course. I found his site very helpful to me as a new rider.

I find his rants to be amusing. This guy does not mince words nor does he sit on the fence.

I am thankful I did not have him as my MSF instructor. He would have scared the h... out of me.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts