Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that hole in the crankcast cover where you line up the marks to check timing and to manually turn the engine? Well the cover that goes over that. It Is about the size of a baseball and has a big slot int he middle of it.

What is the trick to getting that thing off of there? I need to adjust my valves and cannot fine TDC without removing that cover. I think I tried about every tool in the garage.

PLlease help...THANKS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,761 Posts
mde8965 said:
You know that hole in the crankcast cover where you line up the marks to check timing and to manually turn the engine? Well the cover that goes over that. It Is about the size of a baseball and has a big slot int he middle of it.

What is the trick to getting that thing off of there? I need to adjust my valves and cannot fine TDC without removing that cover. I think I tried about every tool in the garage.

PLlease help...THANKS!
I can't say for sure on your '86, but most of them have a big slot in them
and they are screwed in.

I take mine out with a big flat blade screw driver.
I wrap the tip in a couple of layers of duct tape to keep it from marring or
chipping the chrome. Turn it out, just like a screw.


**EDIT**

Just looked at the parts book and it looks like the '86 just unscrews also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
You should be able to adjust the valves without lining up the timing marks. Turn the crank to where the cam lobes are 180 away from the valves. If that is still not close enough for you, remove the spark plug and put a plastic drinking straw in the hole to find when the piston is at the top. To turn the crank, put it in high gear and turn the wheel.

My Honda XR250L has two covers on the left side, one for the timing mark on the rotor and one to turn the crank. I think a quarter fits the little one and an Eisenhower dollar fits the larger one.

VT1100… Hydraulic valve adjusters. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotopage69 said:
You should be able to adjust the valves without lining up the timing marks. Turn the crank to where the cam lobes are 180 away from the valves. If that is still not close enough for you, remove the spark plug and put a plastic drinking straw in the hole to find when the piston is at the top. To turn the crank, put it in high gear and turn the wheel.

My Honda XR250L has two covers on the left side, one for the timing mark on the rotor and one to turn the crank. I think a quarter fits the little one and an Eisenhower dollar fits the larger one.

VT1100… Hydraulic valve adjusters. :)
Thanks Litnin and gotopage69. I tried a screwdriver, a large chisel, 2 credit cards and various other doodads. Just like everything else on my bike, the previous owner(s) must have been gorillas. Every nut and bolt is tightened beyond normal and beyond torque specs. In fact the oil filter was on so tight that I had to puncture it with a screwdriver, turn 1/4 tun, punture it again, 1/4 turn etc... Had to do that 5 times before I could even start to turn it with my hand.

I tried removing the valve caps on the front cylinder and turning the engine over in high gear. When I thought I was in the right place, one of the intake valves was close to .10mm and the other was too tight. I did not want to make any adjustments though until I knew I was really at TDC.

I may just have a dealer do the valves. I need the carbs synced too and have not yet gotten around to making my own manometer yet...

That cover isn't reverse thread is it??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,761 Posts
mde8965 said:
gotopage69 said:
You should be able to adjust the valves without lining up the timing marks. Turn the crank to where the cam lobes are 180 away from the valves. If that is still not close enough for you, remove the spark plug and put a plastic drinking straw in the hole to find when the piston is at the top. To turn the crank, put it in high gear and turn the wheel.

My Honda XR250L has two covers on the left side, one for the timing mark on the rotor and one to turn the crank. I think a quarter fits the little one and an Eisenhower dollar fits the larger one.

VT1100… Hydraulic valve adjusters. :)
Thanks Litnin and gotopage69. I tried a screwdriver, a large chisel, 2 credit cards and various other doodads. Just like everything else on my bike, the previous owner(s) must have been gorillas. Every nut and bolt is tightened beyond normal and beyond torque specs. In fact the oil filter was on so tight that I had to puncture it with a screwdriver, turn 1/4 tun, punture it again, 1/4 turn etc... Had to do that 5 times before I could even start to turn it with my hand.

I tried removing the valve caps on the front cylinder and turning the engine over in high gear. When I thought I was in the right place, one of the intake valves was close to .10mm and the other was too tight. I did not want to make any adjustments though until I knew I was really at TDC.

I may just have a dealer do the valves. I need the carbs synced too and have not yet gotten around to making my own manometer yet...

That cover isn't reverse thread is it??
Nope, it's not reverse threaded.

Trying taking that chisel (wider than the screw driver, I assume)
and put a piece of duct tape around it so it won't marr or scratch the
chrome.
Put it in the slot like you are going to turn it.
Then, take a crescent wrench and put it across the blade of the chisel.
This will help give you more torque.

I would also get a fairly hard rubber mallet and tap on the screw.
Some times, if they haven't been loosened, they will just stick.
Wapping them with a rubber mallet will sometimes break them free.
You could also try shooting some PB Blaster around the rim to see if it
will soak in around the threaded area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I know this is forever old but I'm having the same problem on my '87, did you ever get yours off?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,547 Posts
I know this is forever old but I'm having the same problem on my '87, did you ever get yours off?
Just an FYI. This thread isn't old, it's petrified. The original poster hasn't been here in 7 yrs. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Just an FYI. This thread isn't old, it's petrified. The original poster hasn't been here in 7 yrs. :roll:
Guess he never got it off then...poor guy :-(

You DO wish to give me kudos for searching though right? lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,547 Posts
Will go down as one of life's great mysteries.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top