Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter here in the NE I'm doing all kinds of "improvements" to my bike. The latest to cross my mind was side mounting the license plate. I have a 98 Aero 1100 and the turn signals are mounted on the license plate holder, below the rear brake light. If I side mount the plate I'm going to need to move the turn signals up onto the fender. I was going to go with smaller aftermarket signals, probably a chrome bullet shaped set, and I was hoping to mount them on the last bolt hole of the side rail, where the saddlebag supports would normally mount. This is an 8mm bolt hole.

Has anyone mounted aftermarket signals there? Did they come with 8mm bolts so they would just screw in? Can anyone give me some tips?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I posted this same question on there about a minute ago.

I've seen Shadows with the signals mounted there. I'm hoping someone has found a set that will just screw into that bolt hole. I've seen nice sets on eBay for pretty cheap but the sellers have no idea what the size of the bolt actually is.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm thinkin' kuryakyn led silver bullets with the 3/8" hollow mounting bolt would work pretty good. That's what I used on my vt800 which also uses 8mm bolts on the fender struts. 3/8" actually translates over to about 9.5mm, so I did have to grind out the holes in the struts just a little bit. I don't remember having to grind the chrome rail covers, but maybe I did.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've been looking at the silver bullets. I've found that Kuryakyn actually makes an adapter, well it's a hollow bolt really. 8mm on one side, 3/8 on the other, that replaces their mounting hardware. It's about $10 for a pair. So far this is the closest thing I've found to a "screw in" turn signal. I like the look of the silver bullets too but I can't say the same for the price.

The descriptions for the silver bullets say no load equalizers are needed even though they are LED. Did you find that to be the case?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the adapter bolts - I really think they'll be your best option.

I know, they're not cheap, but they are very well made and are brighter and refract more light than other small LED signals I've seen. You'll definitely need load equalizers. When I bought the 2 sets for my bike both came with a load equalizer - so maybe what they meant is you don't need to buy additional equalizers.

Load equalizers kinda suck because they generate a lot of heat. I haven't had any problems with mine, but I still don't like the idea. There are other things you can do instead - I've heard (but haven't confirmed) that you can swap out your flasher with a generic unit with the same plug from the auto store. You can also buy an adjustible flasher unit, but they run around $50.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you are removing all 4 of your regular blinkers and going to LED, just changing to an electronic flasher may not be the total cure to not having to use load equalizers.

I found that after install of the electronic flasher and LEDs that when the blinker was turned on it looked as if I had emergency flashers instead of right/left blinkers. I found that Honda decided to wire in the blinker indicator between the left and right sides. That's all good when you have regular blinkers, but not so great when you swap out to LEDs AND don't want "load equalizing" resistors.

Now, I know that if I used "load equalizing" resistors, the problem would be gone, but I didn't want to use them. I rewired the blinker indicator so that one wire went to ground, the other side is fed via two diodes. One diode from the right blinker circuit, one diode from the left blinker circuit. This isolates the right and left blinker circuits from one another while either circuit can power the blinker indicator.

The electronic flasher is still necessary because the LED's don't pull enough current for a standard relay.

This is the electronic signal flasher I bought and it plugged right in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/H-D-Electronic-Turn-Signal-Flasher_W0QQitemZ170072786157QQihZ007QQcategoryZ35580QQcmdZViewItem

The LED lights I found here after looking at tons of different styles:
http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/
These guys have rear light kits for Shadow Aero's, but that isnt the set that I got for my Spirit.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts