Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I wish I can wait a year. The reason I got the bike was to satisfy my wife's bucket list. She has Stage IV lung cancer and want us to ride down to the tip of Eastern Long Island here in NY.

Crossing fingers for more time.
Sage smoke and prayers up for both of you, from Resume Speed, KY.

~Gnarly

·
Registered
80 Posts
Adjust your rear shocks for the added weight. Keep kickstand down until wife mounts the bike. Recommend you spend a little time in a parking lot or other area where you are away from traffic. Ride around getting familiar with the change in feel. Make turns, start, start, practice the MC riding test maneuvers. After an hour you'll be better prepared for the Long Island ride. Sorry to read about your wife. Enjoy your time together.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Giannishreds,

All good advise posted here. If you would feel more comfortable with another rider along to stay out in front or behind let me know. I would be happy to volunteer for the job.

·
Registered
16,422 Posts
I find that whenever I carry a passenger, or anything I may tie onto my bike that is 100 pounds or more, affects the handling...
I might suggest you go to your local feed store and bring home a couple 50# bags of feed tied on the rear seat, just for an experiment to get the effect...

Praying with you,
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
All useful tips thanks. She's average frame at 5'6" and going to start off riding up and down the block, keeping it under 35mph.
Start with this, but also find a big open parking lot you can use for private practice. Remember, riding at speed will be easy. It's the slow corners, getting on & off the bike, and starting/stopping that are going to give you the biggest troubles.

Also remember, just getting used to her mounting the bike can be a practice you can - and should! - do in the privacy of your own garage. My first passenger would have made Reddit front page if someone was recording it. It was beautiful! Like a baby unicorn scaling a chain-link fence...

I am sorry to hear about your wife's condition and I hope the trip goes well. We will offer all of the support and advice we can. Feel free to ask anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wow, alot of advice i was in search of but afraid to look NEWB and ask.

as for op, be safe, have fun. Make it enjoyable for her. Prayers from ky that all goes well. Take lots of pic of the ride.

·
Registered
11,019 Posts
I wish I can wait a year. The reason I got the bike was to satisfy my wife's bucket list. She has Stage IV lung cancer and want us to ride down to the tip of Eastern Long Island here in NY.

Crossing fingers for more time.
F everything else then.....do it NOW.....tomorrow looks like a nice-ish day....go.
And you better post us a pic or two ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Giannishreds,

All good advise posted here. If you would feel more comfortable with another rider along to stay out in front or behind let me know. I would be happy to volunteer for the job.
My wife and I would love to ride along with you guys as well, if you want company. Praying for both of you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts