Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, happy spring to ya.

Something I noticed on the last couple of rides before storing my vt600cd for the winter: at around 40-46mph (if i remember correctly) the front wheel seems to 'bounce' just slightly. I haven't been riding long but seems to remind me of an unbalanced tire feel?

Nothing under 40 and up above 46 or so it smoothes out again.

Just wondering if this is somewhat common.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I was in a local shop the other day, looking at crotch rockets because my wife wants one. I saw one of them had the balancing weights duct taped to the rim. This is a new concept to me, so I asked the guy, "hey, why is there duct tape on the rim?"

Apparently sport bikes have an issue with weights flying off. Anyway, I asked him if they had tried dyna beads, and he said: "We've tried everything. The thing about dyna beads is that they move around a lot. Everyone always goes back the the weights."

I giggled a little bit. Well, that's my pointless anecdote for the day.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was in a local shop the other day, looking at crotch rockets because my wife wants one. I saw one of them had the balancing weights duct taped to the rim. This is a new concept to me, so I asked the guy, "hey, why is there duct tape on the rim?"

Apparently sport bikes have an issue with weights flying off. Anyway, I asked him if they had tried dyna beads, and he said: "We've tried everything. The thing about dyna beads is that they move around a lot. Everyone always goes back the the weights."

I giggled a little bit. Well, that's my pointless anecdote for the day.
Never had one come off my ZX10 but had tape across mine because it was a track requirement so the bike you saw might have done a trackday at sometime.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Not to dredge up a thread that's been quiet for a few days, but your tire may not be out of balance. Your rim may be out of round.

Spoked tires need to be maintained, and if someone ran over a curb with that bike at some point, the spoke tension may be out of whack. No amount of wheel weights will fix it, but the wheel can be re-trued without too much difficulty.

If you have never worked with truing a spoked wheel, I'll recommend bringing it to the shop to have it inspected and adjusted.

--Justin

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
On my wife's bike, we had the exact same issue, it was not a balancing issue or a re-trueing issue, we tried both. Come to find out, the rim has a flat spot on one edge. The only way we could see it was to mount the rim only in the trueing rig(?) and spin it with a Straight edge on the edge of the rim. After numerous attemts at balancing, we got it down to a vibration instead of a bounce. Once she decides she has had enough of it I will get her a newer rim.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to dredge up a thread that's been quiet for a few days, but your tire may not be out of balance. Your rim may be out of round.

Spoked tires need to be maintained, and if someone ran over a curb with that bike at some point, the spoke tension may be out of whack. No amount of wheel weights will fix it, but the wheel can be re-trued without too much difficulty.

If you have never worked with truing a spoked wheel, I'll recommend bringing it to the shop to have it inspected and adjusted.

--Justin
Never even thought of that, thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my wife's bike, we had the exact same issue, it was not a balancing issue or a re-trueing issue, we tried both. Come to find out, the rim has a flat spot on one edge. The only way we could see it was to mount the rim only in the trueing rig(?) and spin it with a Straight edge on the edge of the rim. After numerous attemts at balancing, we got it down to a vibration instead of a bounce. Once she decides she has had enough of it I will get her a newer rim.
And if the balance and trueing don't work I'll have them look for a flat spot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Inspect the tire real close. It's possible to have the plies come apart inside the tire and you may find a slight bulg on the sidewall or in the face of the tire. If so, replace it before riding the bike anymore.
I use the Dyna Beads also and like them. The move around (they're supposed to!) and keep the tire balanced. I also have them in my truck (6 axle dump truck) and really like them in that rig! Smooth as glass.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it up to the dealership yesterday. $57 purchases that there's a flat spot on the tire from storage, perfect balance, perfectly round rim.

I just got the bike late last season and I have no idea how long it was sitting so that pretty much explains it.

They did over-inflate the tire by 6lbs in the front and said after a few warm-weather rides to get the rubber heated up there's a good chance it will 'heal' itself. They said it happens all the time to ATV's that sit around with only 6lbs in the tires. Just over-inflate a bit and sit out in the sun a while. Then bring the pressure back down to normal after the bumpiness in the ride goes away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts