Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding a 2000 1100 Shadow Aero. Only got about 8k miles on the rear stock Dunlop. Close to 10 k on the front stock Dunlop D404. I changed the rear to a Metz 880 early summer. It rode ok mixing them, but the front was a tad worn.
I want to put maching Metz's but can't find white wall for both tires. :? I can find the rear one all day long but the front has been impossible to find since the beggining of summer 06. Any-hoo I'm looking at replacing the front with a stock Dunlop and keeping the Metz on the rear.

Any tire Guru's think this is a bad idea :?:

Sorry this is a re-post. I responded to a post and afterward discovered it was in the General area.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The diehards will tell you that you shouldn't do it because you don't get the true benefits of matching tires but honestly, it doesn't make "that" much of a difference. You will be safe running a Dunlop on front and a Metz on back.

Now, to qualify the "that" in the above statement...By using both tires from one manufacturer, you will gain the characteristics of the same tire brand on both ends of your bike. Different manufacturers put more emphasis on certain traits. For example, Dunlop may put more into tire compounds where Metz puts more on water handling. (This is only an example and not necessarily fact.) So, by mixing tires, you won't get the full benefit of ride comfort, wet weather handling, longevity, or whatever traits the manufacturers where after. Also, if the tires were THAT much different, the traits could fight against each other and possibly give a poor ride. (I put A LOT of conditions in that on purpose because without doing HOURS of tests on each combination of tires, it really is hard to tell.)

Another option would be to change the tire size on front tire to a size that Metzeler makes or has available. Just out of curiousity, where have you looked for your tire? And what size are you looking for?

Hope this helps with your decision.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Spirit.
AFA where I've looked: cruisercustomizing, phatperformance, americanotorie, denniskirk and on. Even tried Metzler as well as my local shop. All were unable to nail down the stock size for both in a Metz 880 WWW.
Now as far as changing the size, I'm not to crazy about doing that but my resistance stems from my lack of knowledge with that approach. I probably would if I knew that there weren't any negative consequences.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have a metz on the rear and a dunlop on the front now, no problems whatsoever, none. Ride is smooth and str8, can't feel any difference at all.

For some strange reason metz does not make a www in my size for the front.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
rickbb said:
I have a metz on the rear and a dunlop on the front now, no problems whatsoever, none. Ride is smooth and str8, can't feel any difference at all.

For some strange reason metz does not make a www in my size for the front.
Do you have a pic of the tires installed? Front Dunlop WWW, Rear Metz WWW? I want to know if they look OK being different manufacturers....

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Don't have any yet, but will ride in to work tommorow and will try to get some.

Only difference in looks is the tread pattern, other than that you can't tell them apart.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had the ME880 Metzler put on the back of my Sabre last summer at 6,000 miles. As of now I have 10,300 miles on the Sabre and still have the stock dunlop on the front. I didn't notice any bad things or different riding characteristics with this set up.

However, today I was at the dealership and got to look at my new Metzler ME880 front tire. The have it in but now I have to wait until the ice storm is over to get it put on......bummer.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I have the Metzler 880 on the rear and the stock Dunlop on the front. It actually handles better now, then with the old Dunlop on the rear. The Metzler is deffinetely the way to go!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
rickbb said:
For those that wanted pics of the Metz, Dunlop www mixed tires.

and

Just fixing the pics...

G

·
0 Posts
I don't think mixing tire brands is dangerous. You should see little to no adverse effects. Of course, putting two of the same tires on your bike will work better. The only thing that shouldn't be done is mix tyre types - radial and bias ply. That is dangerous.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
my bike looks just like yours (1100 ace, same color too), when I bought it, it had a nearly bald dunlop front and pert-near new metz on the back... from personal experience (don't forget, i'm 6'6" and 250+) at anything but real SLOW corners the front felt like it wanted to slide out going IN and the rear wanted to fishtail coming OUT...it was like riding a trout...but with BOTH being metz, it feels like its velcro'd to the road.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
Thank you for posting the pics! Looks like I'll be going to a rear WWW Metz next time!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Right now I have a newish Dunlop on the back and an ancient Cheng Shin which was left on a new front rim that I put on. I haven't noticed that it drives any differently, and it may feel a bit slippery up front if I really push a tight turn but I think that may just be lack of tread and not the fact that I'm mixing tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts