1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Shadow VT750 Aero C4 RC50
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the side of my Metzeler 888 it says maximum of 40 psi
On the fork of my bike it says psi 29 on both wheels
So I took the safe route and am running at 35 psi o_O
Bike feels nice, but is it the best way?

I read two schools of thought here on the forum.
  • One says stick to the 29 of Honda
  • The others are saying, go up to 40 for the best performance

HELP .....

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,399 Posts
I'd say you're starting at 35 psi. is a good point to start. The pressures are Honda stated are assuming you run "Dunflops" 404's IMO. The 888's are a harder compound so watch out for cold and/or rainy conditions. The old 880's were softer compound and 40 psi. was common on the heavier 1100's rear tires.

· Registered
205 Posts
On my 03 750 ACE, my bike calls for 29psi tire pressure front and rear riding Solo. When I bought my first set of Shinko 230 tour masters, The sidewall called for 42 psi maximum air pressure, so I ran 32 psi to be safe. I replaced my rear tire with another Shinko 230 TourMaster @ 12,700 miles, so this time around I decided to run the specified 29 psi & I am getting better wear on the back tire (currently @ 14,000 miles, but getting close to replacing) Now if you’re loaded down or riding 2 up, you’re going to increase your tire pressure as needed.

· Registered
3,155 Posts
Over-inflated can be as bad as under-inflated, both can negatively affect handling and wear. And each rider/bike combo may need tweaking due to weight, add-ons etc, I no longer run 40 in the rear on my 1100T as it beats me to death. I'll stick with the recommended 33 and if it wears out quicker, I'll replace it. I'm not beating myself up to stretch the tire mileage a bit, If it even helps, I've had them cup badly at the higher pressures in as little as 5000 miles.

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,790 Posts
Easy answer and you answered yourself: the tires indicate maximum tire pressure and has no relationship to what bike you have or even what the manufacturer recommends. The tire pressure indicated in your owners manual, shop manual and on the bike label are the recommended tire pressure for that specific motorcycle as determined by hundreds of hours of testing and hundreds of thousands of dollars in test equipment by the people who designed and built your bike.

· Registered
Shadow VT750 Aero C4 RC50
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easy answer and you answered yourself: the tires indicate maximum tire pressure and has no relationship to what bike you have or even what the manufacturer recommends. The tire pressure indicated in your owners manual, shop manual and on the bike label are the recommended tire pressure for that specific motorcycle as determined by hundreds of hours of testing and hundreds of thousands of dollars in test equipment by the people who designed and built your bike.
I guess your reasoning makes perfect sense. So I reduced pressure to the prescribed 29 psi and had a smooth 5 hour ride. Even though it is pretty cold out here, I only had one small moment of slight slipping of the rear wheel in a corner, nothing major.
Thanks for talking sense

1 - 8 of 8 Posts