Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Honda Shadow VT750. Just wondering what tire pressure you guys ride at?

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
I think this is one of those that have as many answers as responders. Your best bet is to start at what is printed on your swing arm and use ONE air guage.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
I don't think that there is any one set PSI that will work for all riders on the same rubber.. A lot regarding tire pressure (I figure) has to do with how you ride, where you ride, what you ride and the gross weight of the bike..

My suggestion is get a decent-consistent air-pressure gauge and start off at manufacturer suggested max tire pressure levels and adjust the pressure downwards by 1 psi front and rear each time you take the bike out until you get the right mix of ride quality / cornering / traction you are looking for..

Under inflated tires will wear faster, require more fuel to spin them, and lose traction easier if under-inflation is extreme.. But y-know :roll: ..exercising a little common sense - You shouldn't encounter issues.

I ride on Metzelers with a max pressure of 40+ PSI.. I run 32 front and 34 rear.. Doing so, my bike sticks to the road like glue, and is absolutely magic in high speed twisties..

Just.. Take your time and tune your pressures to you and your bike.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
29psi front and 36psi in the rear with Michelin commander II's

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I had a talk to a tire importer in the weekend and his advise was (for 15" higher profile tires... IE most Honda cruisers) if you want good miles out of a tire pump it up enough so that when you are on it with the load you are carrying the tire should still hold its shape, typically 40 psi solo and up to 48 loaded pillion and gear, said the lower pressure causes more tire flex which adds heat and the tire will wear faster...

This was after mentioning that my 880 is wearing faster than I would like :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I had a talk to a tire importer in the weekend and his advise was (for 15" higher profile tires... IE most Honda cruisers) if you want good miles out of a tire pump it up enough so that when you are on it with the load you are carrying the tire should still hold its shape, typically 40 psi solo and up to 48 loaded pillion and gear, said the lower pressure causes more tire flex which adds heat and the tire will wear faster...

This was after mentioning that my 880 is wearing faster than I would like :)
over pressure isnt any better than lower pressure.

its a fine balance. Too much pressure and you're really lacking traction, and my commander II's handled terrible with too much pressure. Too little and everybody knows they wear fast, handles poorly, ad rides terrible. a tire is meant to flex some while in operation, and should dissipate heat as needed, the problem is with too much flex with low PSI that creates the heat. With too much PSI you make the tire too rigid so it doesnt conform to the road, and that crowns the tire too much leaving you with a smaller contact patch which leads to poor traction.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Pirelli MT-66 and manufacturers recommended pressure.

Dingo.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I use what my MOM says. 'For loads less than 200 lbs. on a 750 Spirit, 29 psi in front and rear.' When in doubt check with your MOM.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
typically 40 psi solo and up to 48 loaded pillion and gear,...
I don't believe there is a street motorcycle tire out there, that the maker recommends 48 psi max. That kind of pressure is just begging for tire failure.

Never exceed the max air pressure written on the side of the tire. This will almost always be south of 42 psi..

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I don't believe there is a street motorcycle tire out there, that the maker recommends 48 psi max. That kind of pressure is just begging for tire failure.

Never exceed the max air pressure written on the side of the tire. This will almost always be south of 42 psi..

I currently have 40 in and will see how that goes Solo, that's what I put in for two up with gear before heading away and it went well, Used to run 36 for solo riding

Max PSI is 42 on that tire and its the importer that said that

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just checked mine yesterday and they were down to about 25 psi. Pumped 'em up to 35 and the ride and handling is greatly improved. I will not let them get so low again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts