Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question.
I noticed that my front tire is starting to get small cacks on the side wall. Should I replace it ASAP or can it wait till next spring because the bike is going to sit over winter anyways and Im sure the cracks will get even worse. This way Ill have brand new tires next spring

Cant post pics now because Im at work but can take a few tonight.

P.S got my first helmet yesterday...Hawk GLD 904 full face/modular...really cool but Im going to have to get use to it.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
You mean cracks,,you should be ok with em, however if any become deep, well just watch em. And certainly you don't want any one crack that goes unbroken all the way around the wheel

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Are the tires old? Was it stored for a while? If they are small...you'd be ok riding around a bit. But I wouldn't do a lot of high speed/highway riding. My tires never get cracks cause they don't last that long. I replace my tires every year(a little less than a year actually) cause of my mileage and the gravel. But I do know people who don't ride much and store their bikes all winter and are surprised to notice little cracks in the sidewalls after a couple of years.
You might post a picture or ask someone who's been riding for a number of years about them. :-D

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would go ahead and replace it especially since its your steer tire. Tire failure has the potential for much greater consequence on a motorcycle. Look at it this way.....next spring you will still have a relatively new tire.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought the bike used, its 2005. Not sure if they are original tires or not so not sure how old they are. When I bought the bike, it had 3900 miles on it.

The cracks are really small and not deep at all and none of them go all the way around the tire.
Since Im a new rider, I dont ride all that much yet and haven't been on really long rides so Im thinking of waiting and replacing front and rear next spring
What tires do you guys reccomend?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bought the bike used, its 2005. Not sure if they are original tires or not so not sure how old they are. When I bought the bike, it had 3900 miles on it.

The cracks are really small and not deep at all and none of them go all the way around the tire.
Since Im a new rider, I dont ride all that much yet and haven't been on really long rides so Im thinking of waiting and replacing front and rear next spring
What tires do you guys reccomend?
With only 3900 miles, I'm assuming those are the original tires. That means they would be at least 6 years old. For me that would be reason enough to replace both. That's just my opinion.
As far as brands, I have had great luck with Bridgestones. Others on here will recommend Metzlers, Pirellis, Avons, etc.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will be storing my bike at a local honda dealer over winter(dont have a garage) and will have them do all the work on it while they are storing it..Both tires, oil/filter, other fluids, adjust and lube the chain..This way when its spring time, I can pick up the bike and it will be good to go for the season.
As far as tires, I think Im going to try Metzler

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It's still August...when are you planning to park the bike? If you were going to park it in a month or two, then I would not worry about it and keep an eye on it, change it before your next riding season.
But if you have a few months to go, I would go ahead and change it.

For those who do park their bikes during the winter, is there a risk in a tire getting out of round from sitting in one position?

I'll ride year around, except for real bad weather.
Dan

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Speaking as one who screwed around and waited, and had the back go down at high speed, replace it now. Don't wait.

You're looking at under $200 per tire as opposed to going down hard and ruining your ride. I've never had a front go down, but I have never heard of it happening and the bike and rider staying up. Those tires are potentially 7 to 8 years old. It's not a matter of "if" rather "when" they'll go down. Spend the money and have the piece of mind. Or...if you're trying to save a few bucks, quit riding until next year and then replace them. Good luck

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you ride on it be advised that if it goes down on you, especially in a curve, that counter steering is the only way to control the bike with a down front tire. Practicing counter steering might be in order so you don't have to think about it if it happens.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
If you ride on it be advised that if it goes down on you, especially in a curve, that counter steering is the only way to control the bike with a down front tire. Practicing counter steering might be in order so you don't have to think about it if it happens.
Oh, you are evil.

And, if it goes down on a straight, don't forget that having a car tire on the rear is the only way to control the bike with a down rear tire. :shock:

And, remember to wave at the passersby as you sit on the side of the road spooning the crap from your shorts because it was just scared out of you. :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.