Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the mags on my 1100 Spirit with spoked wheels. I bought new tires for it, Dunlop D404's front and back. The rear tire was installed correctly according to the rotational arrow on the tire but the front was installed backwards according to the sidewall arrow. BUT....the treads, which are the same on both tires, match directionally. Should I get the front tire remounted with the tread going in the opposited direction of the rear or leave it? There's no issues handling, etc. with the tire as is just curious as to why there's the difference if the tread should rotate in the opposite direction for the front.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I would follow the marking on the sidewall. The good ole engineers at Dunlop designed the tires for a reason. For the most part...the channels are supposed to pump the water from under the tire. If you have the tire on backwards, then you will be pumping water under the tire...which would increase the possibility of hydroplaning.

Also, it is possible that the tires are designed to wear in a certain direction. So flipping that tire the other way may increase the wear on the tires.

You are sure you put the wheel back on the bike correctly...right? Because you changed to a spoked wheel, did the rotor stay on the correct side?

(If everything else is right...) I would take the tire back and have them mount it properly...on their ticket...since they installed it incorrectly to begin with.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Tires

Well, the wheels are on correctly. The rotor is now on the left side as opposed to the right on the original front end. I replaced the stock front end with a Harley Wide Glide front end so all that is correct. Besides, the wheel rotates in basicly one direction whether the rotor in on the left or the right.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Jon, did you relocate the caliper to the left side or just rotate the wheel so the rotor is on the right side?

That could be the difference. For the HD application, it sounds like the the tire was installed correctly. But, when you flip the tire around to match your caliper, then it would be backwards.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tire...

I replaced the front end with HD parts so the everything is correct for a HD front end. The HD rotor and caliper are located to the left side. The original Honda parts have it on the right. I have replaced the mags with spoked wheels and the front wheel is now 21" HD wheel. There are no Honda parts from the triple trees down, it's all HD parts.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The it sounds like the shop screwed up.

That is starting to sound like one decent ride. I would like to see pictures.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tires

I love the spokes. Took alot to get it there, probably more than I should have spent. I bought my Spirit because it looked like a wide glide but way less expensive. Always hated the mags though and the fat front tire. The bike looks much leaner with the 21" front wheel and the spokes. I have a picture in the owners gallery, look for Jon Krol, it should still be there. I have changed a few things since the photo was taken and it's not a very good photo but you'll see what it looks like for the most part.

25th row down, last picture on the right.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Looking good Jon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
While I can't give you any advise on the the tire rotation, though I would go with what's on the tire, I really want to compliment you on what you did with the front end. If Big Red would do that, like on the new 750, it would be an instant winner. Honda is really missing the boat by not utilizing a 21" tire on more of it's models.

vaya con Dios
Beau

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tire....

I still have a couple of things I want to do to it. I moved the turn signals up to the handle bars like the pre 97 Spirits. I also have a set of HD wide glide rear shocks I want to install. They're the exposed coil type. I have to have some sleeve bushings made to fit the Honda bolts and the HD rubber bushings. I'm also thinking about getting the Hondaline chrome controls. I already have chome switch housings and levers. What I'd really like to do is get a tank mounted speedo but I'm afraid none of the Honda tanks that have them will fit the Spirit. I'm not going to go and get a custom tank made, At that point I'd just go buy a wide glide. As for the tire I will get it reinstalled properly on wednesday.

·
Registered
168 Posts
To answer the basic question, ALWAYS put the rotation arrow pointing the right way so it will rotate that way in your final setup.

Many tires look like they have "opposite" treads for the front and rear tires. I know the Metzeler ME880's work this way, although I don't know why.

Unless you specifically whoever mounted the tire that the rotor went on the left, they should switch it for free. Just make sure in the future to specify which side so they get it on right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts