Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my VT600's tires are starting to lose the tread in the center. One of my biggest fears while riding is having a blow-out, so I do not want to push the life of the tires and see how long I can make them last, it doesn't matter how broke I am. It's not worth my life.

However... What are some affordable tire choices out there? A nice set of Dunlops would be nice, but I can't afford them. I'd like to think that tires now-a-days are pretty good quality, but I'd like to hear from you guys... what's good and what to stay away from.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
It's a double edged sword. You don't want to take chances with a worn tire but then you trying to save money on new tires.
To me, the bike is only as strong as its weakest point. I wouldn't want my tires to be the weakest point travelling 70-80mph.
ME 880 Marathon.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I put Metzeler 880s on my 05 VLX. Hands down, they are far superior to the Dunlops. I bought them online at Motorcyclesuperstore and had them delivered to a local preferred installer. They are outstanding tires.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Metzeler.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
Twice, Bridgestones 10,000 miles...
Once, Metzler 14,000 miles...
Now, Pirelli ??,000 miles...
from, Motorcycle SuperStore
Good Luck,
Dennis
T-minus-9 days

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I put Bridgestone Exedras on both front and rear. Less expensive than Metzlers or Dunlops.
So far, I am happy with them, but can't comment yet on how long they will last.
Dan

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Agree with Dan. While I have been running 880s, I have friends that get the same performance from BS Exedra Max, typically 24K on 750s and VLXs. If you can get the Max for less than a Metzler, take the plunge with them.

Lest you didn't see it already.....Motorcyclesuperstore.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put Bridgestone Exedras on both front and rear. Less expensive than Metzlers or Dunlops.
So far, I am happy with them, but can't comment yet on how long they will last.
Dan
Dan,

Did you put the Exedra OEM bridgestones on your bike, or the exedra "Max" tires?

Thanks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
In truth, i don't believe the real problem of running the tire down to being bald is having a blow-out, it's loss of traction. I have a couple of friends that run their rear tire down to the cords before replacing it. I don't do that myself, nor do i suggest doing it, but they do. I wouldn't want to be around them when they hit a wet or oily spot.

My last tire purchases were for some Pirelli MT66's. So far, i'm quite pleased with them.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I had a set of Kenda Cruiser K671 tires installed on my VLX when I had it and I was happy with their performance. Great tire for the price. I have yet to hear a bad review on them. My only problem was that the front tire started cupping after a few thousand miles but it was because I wasn't staying on top of checking the tire pressure.

Also hear good reviews on Kenda Kruz K673 as well.

I can't remember where I bought them from, but you should be able to find them at any reputable online store. www.bikebandit.com and www.denniskirk.com carries them I believe.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
only tire id use is the metz 880's they handle great and i got almost 18k out of the rear

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Dan,

Did you put the Exedra OEM bridgestones on your bike, or the exedra "Max" tires?

Thanks.
Joe, my first tire (rear) I took the bike to a shop and they put a Bridgestone Exedra Max on it, as we agreed. I had a radial, and they put a bias Exedra Max tire on, without telling me it was bias. I found out later. BUT....it has been fine.
For my front tire, I decided to do it myself to eliminate surprises. I bought another Exedra Max, this time in radial, and installed on front.

They say, don't mix bias and radials. So far, no problems for me. But I don't drive like a teenager either.
When my rear tire wears out, I'll put on another Exedra Max, but in radial.

This is assuming I get good life from them. If they wear out quickly, I'll look at Metzlers.

For my bike, the only option for replacing the factory tires with exact size, is Dunlops. The ACE T came with an uncommon front tire size.
Dan

·
Registered
172 Posts
Another vote for Kendas... I have the K673s and love them, love them, love them. They have almost 8000 miles on them and look new. They hold the road like a beast, and I was in HEAVY rain last Friday and they never tried to hydro or lose traction in any way. I have never seen a bad review either, but then I've not ready EVERY review; I've just read a lot of them. I also have several friends who run them and they say the same thing I do.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Anyone use Continentals? I have one on the front and a Dunlop on the back that needs replacing. My Conti is fine up front but I never ran one in the back, need to get one now and the Conti and Metzler are only $6 different.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I’ll toss out another Kenda vote.

I ran on Bridgestones on my 1100 (can’t remember the specific kind) when I first purchased the bike in 2001. I did not care for them at all. Seemed squirrely to me under certain conditions, rain, tar snakes, etc. but I ran those until they needed to be replaced.

I then tried Continentals once and I liked those. Not bad, held better than the bridgestones, less expensive and all around a decent tire.

Then I switched to Kenda tires and have been running those ever since. A good inexpensive tire in my opinion. Great in the rain, tar snakes, etc. stick real well. I had one issue with my front tire a few years back with it bulging in the middle of the tread about 10000 miles but one phone call to Kenda, and the tire was replaced free of charge. No issues since then and I still run them. Currenlty a challenger on the back and a kruz on the front. When the back needs replacing it will be replaced with a kruz.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Kenda or Shinko. No personal experience with either but both come highly recommended as quality inexpensive tires. I have a set of Shinkos in the garage that are going on the 1100 in the next couple weeks. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have been using Kenda Kruz tires front and back now for a couple years. The dealer I use told me to try them, they were far cheaper than most and I have loved them. They seem to wear pretty well and stick to the road very well. I will replace them with the same thing with no questions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts