Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first bike tire in almost 30 years. I was quite surprised to find that the only available ratings were load and speed. Considering the ride, I would think traction/grip ratings would be paramount. In reading the threads here I had to surmise the grip rating myself. I know tires that grip tend to loose tread faster. High mileage tires tend to be a harder compound that grip less. Personally, I want the grip even though I don't really ride that fast. In emergency situations grip can make a big difference. I ruled out the Metzeler tire since not only had the comments here related the higher mileage aspect, I also noticed they had a higher load rating which, between the two, indicate a harder compound that probably provides less grip.
Now, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. I could be totally off base here and I'm anxious to hear what y'all think when it comes to grip. Oh and just FYI... I ended up buying the same tire that I replaced which was a Bridgestone.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Actually, I have Metzelers on my Sabre and I think their grip is superior to most tires and they definitely last a long time.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
Metzlers and Pirelli both are pretty good tires for mileage and grip. Depending on how much you want spend on tires vs your mileage/usage per season. If you don't ride more than say 2,000 mi. a year, Shinkos would be a good option but if you ride say 5,000 mi. then I go to the Metz or Pirelli and Pirelli would be my choice on Shadows do to $$$ spent.

·
Registered
62 Posts
metzlers and pirelli both are pretty good tires for mileage and grip. Depending on how much you want spend on tires vs your mileage/usage per season. If you don't ride more than say 2,000 mi. A year, shinkos would be a good option but if you ride say 5,000 mi. Then i go to the metz or pirelli and pirelli would be my choice on shadows do to $$$ spent.

+1 :d

·
Registered
354 Posts
I rode four-cylinder Goldwings probably 100,000 miles between two bikes. I used Metzlers all those miles after trying them and noticing their superior traction. Everything comes at a price and we'd seem to wear them out in not much more than only one season. Worn out but after much serious cross country mileage. Two people, bags and trunk and pulling a trailer. I never noticed any tire skid or slip ever in all those miles. I figured a couple hundred bucks for a pair of tires was a small price to pay to avoid the emergency room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts