Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has been skirted around here a couple of times, but now I'm asking for opinions and experience... I currently run Dunlops on my VT-700 and I am far from impressed with their longevity. I'm lucky to get 5000 miles off of them in predominately short trip/VERY hot weather driving conditions. I'm not wanting to dump a lot of money into this tire replacement as I'll probably only be riding it for another couple of years, but I still would like to hear of any rear tires that you know of that have a better tread life. Ideas??

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The only cheap brand I've had experience with was Kenda Cruiser K671 on my VT600. I ran 4000 miles on the tires and the rear still had plenty of tread (I'd say probably at 75-80% but I don't know for sure). My front did too, but it started cupping in the middle, mostly my fault for not staying on top of checking tire pressures (this was also an older tread design on the front, not the same as what they are now).

I shopped for a few months on tire prices and found an online store that agreed to beat another online store's price. Managed to get both tires for about $90-100 shipped. That store is no longer around though.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Another vote for Kenda.

I run Kenda tires front and back. I usually replace two rear tires in a year, largely due to my riding style; 80-85 MPH slab riding M-F to work 90 miles roundtrip give or take, and for the money you can't beat them, especially since I replace the tires myself. Good tire in wet weather and tar snakes are not an issue.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Pirelli 66's. Much better than Dunlops.
Pirelli MT66 Route Cruiser Rear Tire - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore Pirelli also is the parent company of Metzler. You usally get what you pay for as far as quality is concerned and Dunflop being an exception to this rule from my experience but in all fairness these (Pirellis) are my second set tires on this bike. Thinking of Avons for my next set that is if I get the time to wear them out this year.

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
My vote too for Kenda. I paid around $75 through my local bike shop for the fronts on both of our bikes. I have 2500 miles on mine and no sign of wear yet.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Don't forget, it also depends on how you ride!

I run Dunlops and I really really like them, when it come to twisties I ride hard , you know peg scraping hard.
So I buy the Dunlop with a soft compound that melts and sticks to the road, I am not afraid of my tire loosing bite and skidding in that curve.

So yes I sacrifice mileage because of the soft compound tire.

IT's all in how you ride, if your easy on your bike and don't care for cornering, buy a harder compound and it will take you for many many miles...

I find my Dunlop for a Buck 25 very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"So I buy the Dunlop with a soft compound that melts and sticks to the road"... that's interesting to me because I have a friend of mine that will NOT run Dunlops because he feels the tread is too hard, instead he runs Avons. Any opinions or "I heards" about Avons? My Dunlops have always felt a bit too squirley for me, and as originally posted, I'm not happy with how my last two sets have worn, that's why I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe it's which Dunlops I've been buying????

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
"So I buy the Dunlop with a soft compound that melts and sticks to the road"... that's interesting to me because I have a friend of mine that will NOT run Dunlops because he feels the tread is too hard, instead he runs Avons. Any opinions or "I heards" about Avons? My Dunlops have always felt a bit too squirley for me, and as originally posted, I'm not happy with how my last two sets have worn, that's why I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe it's which Dunlops I've been buying????
Avon???
You know it's just opinion

Your friend would have a hard compound tire is all
If you choose to go with Metzeler..(which allot of people like btw) how do you know you wont get the same rubber?
I don't think it matters what Brand of tire you buy!!. You will not be happy unless you know what you want!!

Most brand sell different quality tire, for different riders and different types of bikes.

My Uncle gets his tires free from are local race track, the tires are worn on the edge but the center is still new, he doesn't care, he does not corner hard he just cruises with a smile on his Virago 1100.

1. Tires vary depending on what riding you do, what surface your on, etc. Primarily a street rider? Go for standard sport tires. Racing tires (while they sound cooler) wear out more quickly.
2. Want traction? Go for softer rubber, it’s soft and grips the road, although on the downside it wears quickly and takes longer to warm.
3. Thinking mileage? Get firmer rubber, this way you can plan multiple road trips without worrying about how your buns will stand up.
4. Bigger isn’t always better...

Just because you can squeeze on a wider tire doesn’t mean it has a proper fit, a situation in which the tire profile is forced to be altered from its natural position. Also, wider tires almost always result in a less nimble bike – a fat tire may look bad-ass, but it comes with penalties.

P.S. I run Dunlop 404
What did you run?
what does your friend run?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm running the Dunlop D404 also in the standard 140/90-15m/c 70h size. Now my buddy who feels Dunlops are too hard rides an HD. I wonder if part of it is because of size bike etc. I am generally riding on asphalt roads, not generally very smooth roads either as here in Northern Nevada the 50 degree daily temperature swings is pretty rough on roads. Average temps during the day hover around 100 +/- during the summer. I generally start riding once the temps don't drop below freezing at night and will ride until they start freezing again in the fall.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm looking hard at some Pirreli MT66's. Experiences??

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
I'm looking hard at some Pirreli MT66's. Experiences??
.........................unquote.....................
That will be my choice also...
Bridgestones 10,000 miles (2 sets, same wear)
Metzler 880s, 13,000 (looks like I`ll make it to 13)
I like tha tread pattern on the 66s and will give a report when I wear them out...
I started a thread "Tire Shopping again", last week, and got some good leads...
Investing in my ride,
Dennis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brigstones is an excellent tire, wear might not be as high as others, but after trying about everything made I only run stones.
excellent ride and super bite, great in rain

·
Registered
457 Posts
It always perplexes me when these tire wear threads come up, because it seems like so many others get low mileage and/or premature wear. When I bought my 08 Aero, it had Bridgetone Exedras on both front and back. I replaced the rear at around 16,000 miles and I just changed the front last week at a little over 29,000 miles. I've been extremely happy with the way these tires have performed and replaced the originals with exactly the same.
I believe that tire wear is a direct result of how you ride and how often you monitor tire pressure. I'm not aggressive in cornering and the majority of the miles are on the freeway. Tire pressure is something I check every week with a gauge, as well as a visual inspection looking for cracks, wear. etc. I also keep the pressure about 2-4 pounds higher than what Honda recommends. This leads to a somewhat less forgiving ride, but I believe it leads to longer tire life.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It pretty much comes down to if you spend most of your time riding straight down the highway or most of your time twisting through the hills. 95% of my riding is carving the twisties and I really couldn't care less if my tires are worn down at 9,000 miles because I want soft sticky rubber when I'm leaning hard into a curve at 60. If you ride highways all the time and run your tires at higher pressures than Honda recommends or carry a load you'll wear the center of the tread down first. LOTS of people on this forum like to really badmouth Dunlop tires but if you go to the Isle of Man TT races you'll see almost everybody is running Dunlops. I have been amazed numerous times how well my Dunlops perform when pushed really hard (as in "I'M GOING WAY TOO FAST FOR HIS CORNER!). Buy the best tire you can afford and follow the bike manufacturer's recommendations on pressure and check the pressure and the treads every time you get on the bike.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You get what you pay for, right? I switched to Metzlers and love them. I get almost double the mileage as a stock Dunlop and to me, they feel like they stick to the pavement. I love 'em! I'm stickin' with 'em.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
excellent posts all... and I thank you. Tire choice is a funny thing. What puzzles me is that the vast majority of my riding is straight forward on asphalt roads. Few turns, seldom above 60 mph unless I'm doing a day run then all our open roads are pretty straight, no twisties... and I only get about 6000 miles off a set. I keep my pressures up, generally run around 34 psi. I'm wondering if it is because the majority of the time the asphalt I am running on is in 95 degree + temps which means that asphalt is a hot as Hades.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts