Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve been checking out different tires on my `98 VT750 ACE since I fount this site, and comparing your statistics with mine...
Bridgestones I got 10,000 outta two sets...
Metzler 880s I got 12,000...(just one set)...
It`s time to compare prices again and get some tires...
I have Dial Up connection, (Thanks to AT&T phone service)
Who has the BEST prices on the Metz and Brigs nowaday???
I`ve been using Motorcyclesuperstore.com fer my purchases in the past, and have been spending $200+...
I like their fresh tires, customer service and free shipping, but I also like to save Money!!!
Any comments (links) will help...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tires

I just replaced mine last fall. I checked prices with everyone I could think of. Jake Wilson was the cheapest for my set of Metzlers. You can also search the internet for Jake Wilson coupons for $20.00 off. If you are getting two tires they will let you make it in two orders so you can use the coupon twice. I got new chrome tire valve and Dyna Beads at the same time. Both tires where less than 6 months old and fast shipping

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I'd have to agree with Old Dad on this one. Get a car tire on and you won't be so worried about mileage anymore. They appear to be much safer also, and better under wet conditions and a **** of alot cheaper too. My next rear tire will be one for sure.
Didn't meant stir the pot, just expressing my opinion.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Have run the Bridgestones and the Metz on the 750. Have run Dunnies and Avon Cobra's on the 1800. Now have Avon Venoms on the 750 now. They are great. By far the best ride and the wear seems to be much better than the other brands. Running Dyna Beads in them also.

Buy mine from Dennis Kirk. Price matches and then gives you $2.00 off to boot.

Have also gotten tires from the dealership. Just took them the prices I had found on the internet and they beat them. Did this twice.

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Folks!!!
Keep them coming, I`m just starting to shop around, I`ve still got another 1,000 miles left on these tires, but they are CLOSE!!!

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pirelli Tires???
Who has anything to say about them???
I see they are a bit less expensive than Brigs or Metz...
What kind of wear milage are you getting???
How`s the handling???
I mount my own and will try Dyna beads this time...
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
839 Posts
I just ordered a pair of front Pirellis for my Spirit and my Vulcan. I'll have to check in after a while and report on them. Up-front, they were inexpensive; on the road and mileage-wise, we'll see.

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to AT&T Dial Up, it takes FEREVER to shop!!!
But I thank you all fer the help...
I see good prices and you will have saved me $ome money...
HSN has help out in the past with my other endeavors so I asked here too...
I love the community we have...
Still shopping,
Dennis

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the Jake Wilson lead. I put a Bridgestone spitfire on the front of my bike summer before last and I'm replacing the rear with the tire I ordered today. Great price.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Pirelli Tires???
Who has anything to say about them???
I see they are a bit less expensive than Brigs or Metz...
What kind of wear milage are you getting???
How`s the handling???
I mount my own and will try Dyna beads this time...
Thanks,
Dennis
Great tires. Way better than stock Dunlops. I'm going to get 12000 mi. Got 12100 mi. out of the Dunlops. One member claims he has 15000 mi. with plenty of tread left on 750 Shadow. I ride two up 80% of the time mileage wise. MotorcycleSuperstore is my favorite place to deal with so far and their preferred installer is my favorite bike mechanic if I need something done if I won't do it myself. It's trial and error as far as what tire works the best for each individual rider needs/use.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Avon, they don't last any longer. But they are sticky and really hold the road.
I guess it depends on riding style. My buddy I ride with have both gotten much better service out of the Avons. Run them on the 1800 ( hello to a fellow Cafe member ) and the Spirit 750. Buddy runs his on a VStar 650. A set will go on the Rebel as soon as it needs tires.

I do feel also they are a stickier feel and a smoother ride than I have gotten out of the Dunnies, Bridgestones or Metz's.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Kumho Power Star 758
165/80R-15 87T BSW
About Our Pricing
$77.00each
I am SO wanting to do that on my '06 Sabre. But, looking at the asymmetrical tread pattern on THAT tire, it appears that the cornering characteristics might be different leaning left than right.

I have to check deeper into it. I MUST get a rear tire before I ride again, as my Metzler has delaminated after 16,000+ miles on it.

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My nephew will give me Wholesale price on car tires IF I were to go that route...
However, he suggests AGAINST car tires on a Motorcycle and won`t sell me one...
To each his/her own...

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
My nephew will give me Wholesale price on car tires IF I were to go that route...
However, he suggests AGAINST car tires on a Motorcycle and won`t sell me one...
To each his/her own...
Yeah, I had a tire store manager refuse to sell me a car tire for my VLX. Didn't want him to install it, just sell it to me. Had a friendly, good long discussion with him about the pro's and cons'. He still refused. I told him that he was just hurting his bottom line, that I would go elsewhere and buy it. He held fast. I bought a Federal off the internet for less than his price.

Interestingly, that tire store manager is now renting a house that I manage. :shock: I see him at least once a month, to collect rent. He just cut me a killer deal on tires for my truck AND he sold me the tire that is now on my VT 1100. :mrgreen: Needless to say, we have a good business relationship. He told me the other day that he was buying a new set of tires for his Shadow 750. I asked him to consider going Darkside, he laughed a hearty "NO". :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts